Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dubnshib

Thread: Honeymoon help needed

Default Honeymoon help needed

over on 28 May for honeymoon ( or May 28 if you prefer ) here is our kinda schedule:

Day 1- in at 3pm so local bar for few beers then bed eatrly to get shot of jet lag
    Day 2- shopping / orienteering - help needed - whats nearby to Rui Miami
    Day 3- nothing during day, pm Marlins V New Yrk - help needed - what public transport gets us there ?
    Day 4 -411 to Key West -help needed - best time to book
    Day 5 - nothing planned -help needed
    Day 6 - 411 to Everglades
    Day 7 - Sawgrass Mills - help needed !! as a bloke will this bore the ass off me ? missis will shop
    Day 8 - Nothing planned -help needed - ideas ?
    Day 9- Last full day - best way to chill ? aint going to be beach typical red head Celt with skin the colour of milk !!
    Day 10- time to behave !!

any help ideas appreciated and codes for discount on tours would be of help , daily budget of around $500
    mirna and Christy like this.

Default Re: a wee bit of help needed

Shopping near your hotel, as in walking distance or a short cab, I'd say go to Lincoln Road or Collins Ave. Lincoln is like a big, outdoor pedestrian mall that has now become like every other mall in America, just outdoors. So plenty to choose from there. Some cool stores on Collins Ave. as you walk down from about 15th to 5th. That's about it for South Beach. North you have Aventura Mall, which has EVERYTHING. But it's a long bus ride and not really worth it if you're going to Sawgrass Mills.

You won't be bored at Sawgrass in the slightest. They have every kind of store imaginable there, so while your wife shops for girly stuff you can peruse a sporting goods store, a men's store, hit up the bars at The Oasis, or find workout clothes at the NIke, Reebok or Puma outlets. There is so much there it's overwhelming, so "bored" will be the last thing you'll be.

I wouldn't recommend trying to take public transportation to the Marlins game. From where you are at BEST it would be 2 busses, with lengthy waits between them. Sometimes in not-so-great neighborhoods. I'd recommend biting the bullet and taking a taxi. It'll be about $25-$30 each way, but factor that into the cost of your honeymoon. I think when you're sitting at Government Center at 11 at night and getting accosted by homeless people you'd think "Definitely would be worth $60 not to have to deal with this." Public transportation in this city is for the most part a joke.

The Key West trip you can book whenever. The earlier the better though as you never know when things might fill up.

Default Re: a wee bit of help needed

thanks Matt, I knew public transport was rubbish, just didnt know how bad it was so taxi it will be ! Just trying to get things purchased before we get bthere -so Stub n hub and yourselves deals with days 3 , 4 & 6 -might juggle day four depending on what time baseball ends.

As for Sawgrass will be a shop and drop - i sit in the bar and she drops off the shopping at regular intervals !

Read enough about local stores to know they're not for me!!

Many thanks once again

Default Re: Honeymoon help needed

Marlins tickets will be ridiculously easy to get for next season. So make sure you're not ever paying above face value. By the end of last year tickets were going for 3 cents!

thanks Matt

first offers on Stub were $6 and $42 -easy enough to get them over there on the day via internet cafe ?

Well as far as being a typical Red Head Celt, I happen to be one too and let me tell you I go in the early morning and later afternoon to the beach all the time and mostly avoid sunburn, and that is with no sun block. If you can stay indoors, or in the shade from about 11:00AM to 3:30PM you should be fine, that gives you an opportunity for a sunrise, or sunset beach trip. If you have you considered a kayaking trip in Key Biscayne I love going Kayaking and you can use mangroves, and shore line vegetation for shade.

cheers Dylan, kinda sun aware but do get my head burnt by not wearing a hat. Never thought of kayaking so thanks for sticking that on the radar.
    Just filling the days but not overdoing it and early morning stroll along sand (same it night) sounds perfect

As for tripos to Key West, and to the Everglades we offer some through this Miami Beach 411 site. And I know the Everglades tour is fun, and it is hard to go wrong with a trip to Key West. The snorkeling trip to Key West is a lot of fun, and well paced so you do not tire yourself out. And if you have never gone Snorkeling then I highly recommend that.

Yeah or just buy them outside for cash from somebody trying to unload tickets. (ALWAYS negotiate that price, BTW)

Or you can buy online and print up the tickets from StubHub. Of the Marlins are as bad next year as everyone is expecting, $6 should be on the high end of what you expect to pay.

cheers Matt ,

never been to baseball game so wouldnt know a bad side if they came up and hit me !! My soccer team is bottom of league so I'm used to watching dross !!

Any horse racing nearby ?

YES! We have Calder and Gulfstream, plenty of horse racing for sure.I believe you will be coming during Calder season, which isn't as nice a track but for some reason gets most of the racing dates. You'll need a car to get there though as the bus isn't realistic and a cab would cost a lot. Of course you'll make it all back once you get there so I suppose that doesn't really matter.

Calder on a weekday is quite the scene. You can learn how to say "like a pig running backwards" in like 6 different languages.

For those free days, I would like to recommend to read this article by Gus Moore about the 101 Fun Attractions in Miami.

Have Fun and if you need help with the tour bookings, please call at 305-754-2206.

DO NOT ! I REPEAT, DO NOT... go to Calder with a new bride or under any other circumstance.

Blackford, you're SO off......I've actually taken dates to Calder and they loved it. It's a lot of fun if you've never been to the horse races.

Now I fully expect you to post 50 pictures of Santa Anita and DelMar and tell us what "beautiful classic" tracks they are, and ramble on about where the turf meets the surf, complete with an anecdote about a great day you had at Santa Anita with your dad/wife/kids. So by all means, please go ahead.

But for just flat out horse racing and specating, Calder is pretty good. The horses aren't terrible (compared to, say, Tampa Downs or Bay Meadows) and the outdoor area is nice.

I actually like sport betting establishments that are drabby, but this place was unbearable. I'll take the original Caliente Sports book on Revolucion and it's roaches anytime.

Perhaps I reached my threshold listening to the mention of "blood clot" 50 times before the end of the daily double - and I was in the club house.

For the record: I preferred going to Hollywood Park than the other SoCal parks you mentioned. I"m also cool with GS and I really hope something more becomes of HIA.

Quote Originally Posted by mirna View Post
    For those free days, I would like to recommend to read this article by Gus Moore about the 101 Fun Attractions in Miami.

Have Fun and if you need help with the tour bookings, please call at 305-754-2206.
    Read that ages ago Mirna -thanks anyway . Generally anything that says "Fun Attractions" are usually anything but that - oh the synic in me!

Does that track in TJ still run? One of my first memories was going there as a tiny kid.