Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do you say, "have a safe trip"?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Do you say, "have a safe trip"?

How do you feel about saying, "have a safe trip"?

Personally, I don't mind when people say that to me, but I feel very uncomfortable saying it.

Am I being too superstitious?

What do you say to people who are leaving on a trip?

Interesting question! I guess it depends on where you're going. If I were going to the corner store, it might seem a little much, but if I was heading off to Papua New Guinea to study cannibalism, it would be appropriate.

"Have a fun trip" is even better, because it's understood that you would have to be safe for it to be fun...unless you want it to be risky...then that's another story! But I wouldn't really get offended either way.

Gus

Thanks for sharing your views, Doug.

The reason I ask is, today, I was talking with an associate who told me they would be out of the office, traveling for the rest of the week. Seeing that he's my elder, I feel saying, "have a fun trip" would be inappropriate.

Do you have any other suggestions?

He's too old to have fun? There's always "nice", but that's so overused. Try something French. Bon voyage! A bientot! Vaya con Dios! Oh, that's Spanish....well, you get the idea...

its kinda weird i agree. personally i email our hotel's vips and sometimes i feel ok w/ it sometimes i feel like people may be offended b/c of superstition. i guess it depends on how well you know the person as to say that.

Gus

Thanks for commenting, beachedc03. Glad to see I'm not alone about this.

You know, I've never really pondered it as a superstitious thing. But now that I'm actually on the road 101 miles from South Beach, I'm hoping that you don't even THINK about wishing me a safe trip!

My neighbor said it to me before I left. Crap. I've got 544 miles to go. Crap.

Thanks a lot Gus. :)

Of course, maybe if I focus on driving and not pulling over to look at the internetz, I might improve my odds of having a safe, if not at least shorter, trip! Doh!

Where are you off to, Scott? Carolina?

Indeed I am, Doug. Off to see my boys. Dying to see them. They were going to come down for the holidays but it became a whole big complicated thing so I figured I'd drive up, hang out with them, surprise the 'rents.

Well, have a safe trip!

oops

You suck, Doug.

You so. Totally. Suck.

:)

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    You know, I've never really pondered it as a superstitious thing. But now that I'm actually on the road 101 miles from South Beach, I'm hoping that you don't even THINK about wishing me a safe trip!
    Scott, I'm not superstitious about telling a friend to "drive safe". There's something proactive about saying that, its a healthy reminder. Plus, driving safely is something you (the traveler) has control over.

But nobody can control having a safe trip when you're being piloted by someone else 30,000 feet in the air.

Anyway, thanks for checking in from the road. Have fun and make sure to drive home safe. :)

I say 'God Speed' which is to wish someone good fortune on a journey or adventure.

It stays clear of all of that luck stuff!

Jim

What about the perverbial: "Bring me a Tee Shirt"?

Or Ellie Mae Clampett's preference: "Ya'll come back now, ya hear?"

Lol, you guys are funny.

In my case, I always say "Have a Nice Trip". I don't like to say "Have a Safe Trip" because from where I come from we don't use that and is obvious that I want them to be safe.

In Argentina we say "Buen Viaje" o " Que tengas buen viaje" which is "Have a Nice Trip", am I clear?

This Thread remind me that in Argentina we believe that is bad luck to say "Good Luck" and instead we say "Exitos (success)", "merde" (how good is my french) or "mierda". %-P

Gus, you have way too much time on your hands!!! I say either "have a good trip" or "have a safe trip". Just one or the other comes out, I don't really put much thought into it. I think I'm more likely to say "have a safe trip" to people close to me.

Well, I had a safe trip AND a nice trip, even with all your jinxing of me. Seriously, thanks for the well-wishes you guys.

And I would like to wish everyone else a pleasant holiday season with much safety and niceness involved in your travels.

Success to all!

I always want to say "have a safe trip" and then I pause and say "bon voyage" or "buen viaje." Mainly because I don't like to even *think* about fear of flying.

Gus, it's interesting that you mention flying as the source of one wanting to wish safety to travelers, since driving is far more dangerous. I mean, I'd wish someone a "safe drive to the airport" before even thinking about "a safe flight to Timbuktu."

When I was traveling alone in Spain, I was all about OMG the long flight but didn't think twice about roaming the streets of Madrid by myself.

I think the idea of wishing travelers a safe journey must be a very ancient human tradition. Wishing someone a safe journey was quite literal because there really was no guarantee you'd see that person again (for example, someone from the middle ages going on a pilgrimage from England to the Holy Land.)

Right now I'm thinking of highway robbers in 18th century England accosting people in a horse drawn carriage. The travel chronicles from that time period are fascinating ... in fact, that's what would drive the plot of so many stories ... all the dangers that you could come across in your travels.

I usually say "have a safe trip" or "have a safe flight", always accompanied by "have a great time!" (kinda my motto). I usually tell people leaving my home to "drive carefully" (especially the teenagers).
    I think of it as just someone looking out for you, not wishing any kind of luck, just a nice thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast