Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Staying in Miami Airport overnight

My boyfriend and I are arriving MIA at around 8pm and catching a cruise the next morning. We are on a tight budget, so I am thinking maybe we should stay at the airport overnight. Has anyone done it before? Is there any shopping mall or restaurant around the airport (without taking a cap or accessible by public transit).

Is there anything to do at the airport that would kill my time at night?
    Thanks very much.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, sock. Excellent question! Thank you for posting.

The Miami Airport public relations office is closed on the weekend, but I will call them Monday and see what they suggest about staying in the Airport overnight.

Until then, what date are you arriving?

How much luggage are you traveling with?

How early can you board the cruise ship?

Hi sock,

I would totally spend some $$ to go to South Beach. I spend few hours during night time at Airport waiting for my friend's flight to leave and we had dinner at Chilli's, but they close around 8pm during the holidays.

Here is a map of the restaurants at the Airport.

I would take the Bus for $1.50pp and go to South Beach or take a cab for $32.00.

New User

Thanks for calling!
    I read on other forum that you can pay $8-10 to use the spa/massage area in the airport hotel inside terminal and you can stay there untill the next day. I doubt it but has anyone heard about it?

I will be arriving in Feb on Friday night. I think the earliest I can board the cruise is around 12pm but I think maybe I can take a bus from the airport to SoBe early in the morning before boarding the cruise.
    Does anyone know which bus I should take if I want to go to SoBe from the airport? Or from Airport to Port of Miami? Or from SoBe to Port of Miami? How early and late do bueses operate?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

"I read on other forum that you can pay $8-10 to use the spa/massage area in the airport hotel inside terminal and you can stay there untill the next day."
    The Miami Airport Hotel Spa is closed.

But I called the Airport and there are no rules against sleeping in the Terminal overnight. However, they mentioned there will be intercom announcements throughout the night.

When I asked where they recommend sleeping, they suggested Terminal E, but I think the only reason they said that was because it's close to American Airlines (the busiest terminal in the Airport) so I would probably avoid that Terminal.

Keep in mind, the air conditioning will be cold.

Here's a good tip I found at sleepingairports.net:

"I searched a little and found a quiet, comfortable corner on the 4th floor near the post office (I forgot the terminal number). There is absolutely no one there at night except for the cleaning personnel. There are no annoucements. The air-condition is set at a normal level, not freezing cold. However, I still recommend a sweatshirt. After much searching, this is THE BEST place to sleep in the airport. Enjoy!"
    Have you considered taking a bus to South Beach and staying in a hostel overnight? That way you can drop your luggage, see the sights, and get a good night sleep. You can often find rooms for very cheap. Learn more about Miami hostels.

Here are instructions on how to take the City Bus from Miami Airport to South Beach:

- At Miami Airport, go to Lower Level Concourse E
    - Take J Bus that says Miami Beach 71st Street.
    - Get off at 41st Street. (41 minutes)
    - Take the S Bus that says Downtown Miami to South Beach (12 minutes)

Hope this helps!