Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Local Hikes

Default Re: Local Hikes

Just keep going. A goal weight is good, but I think a lifestyle change like that should be about feeling good, which it sounds like you already feel better.

New User

Nothing more beautiful than watching the fog curl over the mountaintops in the morning on the trail. Answer to Saturdays survival tip is B. Bears will stay away if they hear you making noise, they just want your food. Stay alert and use your bear canisters

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Just keep going. A goal weight is good, but I think a lifestyle change like that should be about feeling good, which it sounds like you already feel better.
    I started this quest back on September 8th and to date I've shed 15 lbs and now at 233. Lat week was discouraging as I only lost one lb but have stayed on course. What is encouraging is even I diddn't lose weight last week, I've toned down due to swimming an hour straight 5x a week. I think I'm at the point where I have to trick my body and doing different stuff as it might have adjusted. That's where mountains hikes would have come in handy. One thing I've learned is your legs are your calorie burners. I remember that off season when Ray Lewis lost 50 lbs riding his bike 40 miles a day. I do between 13-26 mi. a each morning so I'm going to have to ramp up and certainly get me a new bike seat.

To this point I haven't modifified my diet or beer consumption. Just pure blood,seat and tears. I suppose if and when I do, another ten pounds will come off quickly. But not tonight - Pasta Fazool !

I'll get there.
    Marc Middleton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    I started this quest back on September 8th and to date I've shed 15 lbs and now at 233. Lat week was discouraging as I only lost one lb but have stayed on course. What is encouraging is even I diddn't lose weight last week, I've toned down due to swimming an hour straight 5x a week. I think I'm at the point where I have to trick my body and doing different stuff as it might have adjusted. That's where mountains hikes would have come in handy. One thing I've learned is your legs are your calorie burners. I remember that off season when Ray Lewis lost 50 lbs riding his bike 40 miles a day. I do between 13-26 mi. a each morning so I'm going to have to ramp up and certainly get me a new bike seat.
    Great job!

I've always struggled with weight. At my height, I was 240lbs and when I got married in 07, I did my best to get below 220 to about 216.
    Then down to 205 before working in the restaurant in Doral Resort where I went back up to 212-213.

Since I left, I got all the way down to 185 (which I hadn't been in the 180s since my late teens). My best diet was the 1500 calorie diet. Since I'm a math person, it made the most sense. (3500 calories equal 1 pound, cut out 500 a day, lose a pound a week).
    So my wife and I and her family did a 45 day challenge. We wrote down every thing we ate (even when we sprinkled cheese on our steamer meal). We basically ate a chipotle bowl 5-6 days a week for lunch, a steamer (microwave 250 calorie) meal for dinner, Nature Valley bars for snacks, bowl of Special K in the morning. For chips, I ate the Baked Scoops which are about 120 calories and for a dessert, we'd eat a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich (150 cals, 2 fat grams)...Once I started adding in 2-3 days a week of racquetball, I was losing 2-3lbs a week. (and I would eat an extra 200-300 calories because I'd be so hungry after working out)

It worked, I lost 18 lbs and my wife lost 11lbs.
    Sadly, I stopped playing racquetball and barely exercise and I have put 10 back on (in the mid 190s again). The construction ruined our sidewalk/path out of our community so its almost impossible to safely walk at night with our son that we used to do after eating.

No excuses though, Maybe I'll start riding my bike like Blackie! I bought a nice one from Fusion Bike Shop on Biscayne and it just sits collecting dust and flat tires :-(

That's another reason to live near the beach. Morning/ evening runs with the sunrise/ sunset. Makes it a lot easier to go out and exercise. But I agree, I like to eat, and I exercise so I can eat! Although, yes yes I know, I am pretty skinny. Can't complain too much. Although I can eat a whole pack of cookies on my own in like 10 minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12