Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sarasota / Bradenton

Default Re: Sarasota / Bradenton

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Marc: Destin was one of my first excursions when I moved to FL. As for me at this point it doesn't make sense to go back. It's an 8 hr drive from Orlando. As you know, it's a resort oasis if you're from Alabama. It has a bit of cheesiness built in for that market including tons of outlets and 2nd rate amesements for kids. .
    Its just over 9.5 hours from Miami and 6 hours from Orlando..Panama City Beach is about 5 hours 40 mins from Orlando if you don't hit traffic.
    You must have been going pretty slow or stopped a lot if you did it in 8 hours.

My mom and I went on a Mini Road Trip to Mobile/Biloxi and it took us 8 hours from Orlando to Mobile with stopping for gas once and food once.

Mobile was a great little town, really enjoyed it. Biloxi was just 'meh'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Is that the clear, cold water that people swim/snorkel in between Gainesville and Tallahassee where its like caves? I've had lots of friends go there and rave about it.
    The caverns were cool. it's bit of a distance past Tallahasse though, less the 50 miles from n border with Alabama.

Only down-fall is you have to visit with a group headed by a ranger. The one we got was manly interested in entertaining kids highlighting a stagalite that looks like a indian cheif or boat. No educational value at all. Blame that on the ranger.

Regarding the water line ,not sure but it had some slippery spots. It was interesting and worthwhile if you can afford two -three hours taken away from beach time. We broke out sandwiches and provisions by the lake and that was nice. I think the nearest cavern opportunity at this level is in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post

Mobile was a great little town, really enjoyed it. Biloxi was just 'meh'.
    Shoulda hit up Ocean Springs or Bay St. Louis. Two of the coolest places I've been this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12