Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    Suzanne C

Default Birthday Road Trip to Disney (from Miami): Live Blog

So I have the coolest bosses and co-workers ever: they cover my shift(s) so I can take Nick to the self-proclaimed happiest place on Earth. Actually we're going to Sea World and Aquatica too but let's face it, everything in Orlando is overshadowed by Disney. You think Orlando; ya think mouse ears.

I'm (procrastinating) finish up my packing, 'bout ready to pick Nick up from after school to bring him back and shower him; then we're off.

We'll be takin' the Turnpike northbound so if you see a black car zipping by, catch up and tell Chicho to SLOW THE HECK DOWN! We've got the laptop with us so hopefully I can keep y'all informed of the drive, anything interesting we see along the way and/or any inclement weather from Fay (hope not). Make sure to honk if you see me Matt. (He's driving up to Gville today too)

If there's anything you guys want to ask about the drive (cost, route, etc), I'm happy to post pics. Also, anything you want to ask about Magic Kingdom, Sea World and Aquatica I'm happy to find out about while I'm there.

I'll check back in in a bit. :)

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

What a great idea for a post.

Thanks for sharing Nick's birthday road trip to Disney with us.

When I was growing up, going to Disneyland on my birthday was a ritual for our family.

Your itinerary sounds like fun.

I'm curious to learn how much you spend on fuel and tolls for the trip.

Also, how long is the drive from Miami?

And please tell us what Aquatica is like.

Suzanne C

You're welcome...I gave it some thought.

I'm jealous- my parents weren't fans of the theme park bit opting for nature trips to forests and stuff instead; no Disney Birthday trip for me. :(

I'll make sure to take lots of pics. The drive is normally 3 to 4 hours- depending upon how many times I yell at Chicho for speeding. It sucks that I won't get a ticket because we have the Sunpass. It shaves like $3 bucks per leg you know (I'm cheap)...maybe I'll drive up to a female plaza worker and tell her it's for Nick's scrapbook...or bat my eyelashes at a male...oh...C h i...we'll see what I do.

We're REALLY off now...was pouring cats and dogs.

Nick says "hi."

Chicho says "I'm going to dress as a keyboard for Halloween so you can be all over me. Get off the computer already. Look, your mom is calling your cell. Answer it."

:/

Gus

Cool. Have fun.

It sucks that I won't get a ticket because we have the Sunpass. It shaves like $3 bucks per leg you know (I'm cheap)...maybe I'll drive up to a female plaza worker and tell her it's for Nick's scrapbook...or bat my eyelashes at a male...oh...C h i...we'll see what I do. "
    If the sob stories and flirting don't work, you can also take a picture of the turnpike ticket with your cell phone camera.

Some truck stop shots would also be nice.

Suzanne C

We were able to get a ticket after all which is perfect because the road was too bumpy for a clear picture. We hit Golden Glades about 7 pm after some traffic. We got to Orlando a little before 10pm- I started driving at the Pompano Service Plaza. Weather was great until we arrived in Orlando but it's just a light drizzle.
    Nick slept the whole way! :)

So far we've spent $31 (1/2 tank) for gas and I have to check the sunpass for the tolls.

Room is super cool- MAD PROPS to K for the hook-up! I'm tired. Gus is ordering pizza and wings...they're watching Lord of the Rings.

I finally saw the tree Gus.

I just set the alarm for 6:30 am. Breakfast is at 7 am and we're aiming for a pre-9 am arrival at Magic Kingdom. He's so excited- both of them. Ok, me too.

I'm going to sleep. It's a busy day tomorrow and I need my rest.

Gus

Make sure to eat a big breakfast. You'll need your energy today. Spending all day at the Parks can wipe you out.

Have you made plans to do any character dining - you need to reserve that stuff in advance. Priority seating can be made by calling (407) 939-3463.

Suzanne C

::yawn::

I'm just waiting for Captain Nick who is involved in some sort of naval war in the tub and then we're off to the continental breakfast.

I'm so tired...a certain two someones were practicing the long jump and sumo wrestling between the two beds until 1am...

how's the hotel?

Aren't the beds the best thing ever?

take pictures of the hotel room! Gus says he wants to see the room prior to the sumo/ long jump extravaganza.

Since that probably didn't happen... Wait for the housekeepers and when you get back tonight, take some pics!

Suzanne C

Good morning guys.

Sorry I didn't blog yesterday but a) we were caught in an afternoon monsoon which turned our Nikes into galoshes AND b) the park was open until 10pm. We were able to dry off thanks to the $30 towel we got (it was the only one we could find).

I'll be posting pics when we get home later tonight but so far, he's how it's gone:

The hotel's breakfast consisted of juices, yogurts, cereals, bagels and fruits. They also have a make-it-yourself waffle station- super cool. I grabbed some yogurts and a banana 'for the road' and off we went to Magic Kingdom.
    Parking: $12
    Park Entry: $230 (2 adults + 1 child)
    Stroller rental: $16
    Splash Mountain pics: $24
    Lunch: $24
    Snacks: $15
    Dinner: $14 (Wendys)
    Smile on Gus and my faces as we carried a snoring Nick up to the room: PRICELESS
    (sorry, I'm using my Mastercard on this trip lol)

We rode everything except Space Mountain 'cuz Nick isn't tall enough. We used the FastPass machines every chance we got. Here's how we did it:

First thing we rode was Buzz Lightyear because it's Nick's fav. We got a Fastpass for the ride before we went into the regular line (which at 9 am was only a 45 second wait). After we rode that, we went to the Rocket Orbiter and then the racecars. When we were done, we went back to Buzz and then the Stitch and Monsters inc rides. We then worked our way towards the Tea Cups, Dumbo and the Merry-Go-Round. Before we got in the EXTREMELY short line for Small World, we grabbed a FastPass for Peter pan which had a line with a 40 minute wait. After we finished Small World, we hit up the Haunted Mansion, which had no line either. Nick flipped when he saw the ghost in the car. FLIPPED. We then went back to Peter and Pan and from there continued on to Frontier Land. The trip had a 40 minute snafoo here but my quick thinking made it all better. As Gus went to leave the stroller in the designated section, we became separated. While Gus and Nick stood in line for AND rode Splash Mountain, I sat on the stroller waiting for them to come back. I managed to get Fast Passes to both Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain. When they finally reappeared 40 minutes later, we jumped on Thunder Mountain, killed some time on Tom Sawyer's Island and then hit Splash Mountain again. We then got a Fastpass for the Island Cruise and went to have lunch- fish sticks, fries and nuggets. From there we went to the Island Cruise and then sprinted to the parade. That's where we got soaked....

After we dried off, we went back to Buzz Lightyear with the one FastPass from the morning (tip: just because the time has expired on a Fastpass, doesn't mean it won't be accepted- they're good all day.) We then went to Mickey's ToonTown and saw the house, some characters and got in the train. We sat on the train for 3 minutes and were asked to leave because lightning strikes had stopped all service. We went BACK (again) to Buzz, then the train again, Pirates of the Caribbean and finally the fireworks BONANZA!!!! I'd say we say the park in 6 hours- but only because Gus has declared me to be the Fastpass queen.

We're late for breakfast and off to Aquatica. I just checked out using the menu button on the remote. How cool is that?

Hey Suzy! Sounds like you guys had a blast (despite the soaking!) Can't wait to see pix. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Suzanne C

I'll be done with the recap this weekend. You'll be able to see our pics as well as some tidbits about Aquatica...since it is the newest theme park in our state and info is scarce 'round these parts...

Sorry about the "us" pics...but here's a sampling of what's to come...

Check out how much gas is in O-town. I'm jealous. VERY.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

I know I'm a bit late but the waffle station is great. The one in TX was shaped in the state of Texas. I ate mah-self some texas shaped waffles almost err-y mo-nin. :-)

I stayed at a residence in when I was in San Anton (boo) and I fell in love. I normally stay at full service marriott's which I was supposed to when I was in Texas but I ended up cancelling my stay at the Marriott Rivercenter to stay at the Residence.

Free full breakfast, beer, and food at night.... How much better can it get than that?!?