Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default How much to tip a cab driver?

What is the tip % that you should give a cab driver, shuttle bus, etc. to go from the MIA airport to a hotel in Miami Beach? Would they be expecting a specific percentage?

The fare is $32..If he blasts the AC or has no AC, listens to a terrible radio station really loud, takes the long way, and barks on his cell phone, eats..I don't tip much.

If he's a good driver I tip $4, maybe $5. The last driver I had was excellent, and possibly the best driver I ever had in Miami. I was excited to get home and I forgot to get his card.

I took the super shuttle once, never again..and I just tipped $2 because the AC was blasting and he let this loud woman, who was sitting right next to me talking to everyone in the van about what they should do and where we should go. I really wanted toget out earlier but it was raining so I was trapped. Don't take the super shuttle unless you're on a strict budget.

$3, rounding it up to $35 for the cab fare. And he better help with my bags.

New User

Thank you for your input!

I though it was going to be something crazy like 20% like you tip waiters.

New User

u can tip from 10 to 15 % of the fair or ur wish u can give 3$ to 5$

Car service miami

I dunno, I think $5 seems like the minimum on a $32 ride. But I don't take cabs much, so maybe I overtip.

New User

it depend on cab driver but i think it almost $10.

This is a great question! Answers are all over the board on various sites. There are various web sites you can find on google that discuss this.

I agree with matt, $5 for a $32 fare seems a base. One should consider adding a per bag tip, anywhere from $1-$3 depending on size of bag and help provided.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarvin
    This is a great question! Answers are all over the board on various sites. There are various web sites you can find on google that discuss this.

I agree with matt, $5 for a $32 fare seems a base. One should consider adding a per bag tip, anywhere from $1-$3 depending on size of bag and help provided.
    I am starting to think I should be on the shuttle haha!

CNN suggests the following criteria for taxi tipping on their tipping page:

Varies depending on locality. Assume 15% will be enough; an extra $1 to $2 for help with bags.

Today as I was standing in line for a taxi, the policeman asked how many people and I said, "Just one." I think nextime I may ask another solo traveler if they want to split a cab...with tip it would even be cheaper than the super shuttle! Do you think taxis charge extra for 2 stops? And yes, there was a very cute guy standing next to me when I thought of this idea!

The driver asked me if I was doing cash or credit card..he said if he gets paid by credit card he loses 10% of the fare. I'm guessing if I pay cash I'm not supposed to count the 10% towards a tip..

Don't worry what cnn money says Jess, I think $3 is fine..but pay the fare in cash.
    I tipped $3 today and he didn't say thanks, so maybe it's not enough. He just took my bag out of the trunk and put it on the sidewalk, and usually they bring it to the door. I tip the crap out of the drivers who bring my Publix bags to the door, and if a cab picks me up in the rain, I tip extra.

New User

[quote author="Doug" date="1251827599"]CNN suggests the following criteria for taxi tipping on their tipping page:

Thanks for the reference to the article!

For the $32 airport ride, I usually just give them two $20's and call it a day. I feel weird asking for $1 or $2 back, especially if they have been nice, which they usually are. And I always have at least one bag.

Jim

If you worry about how much to "tip"; it's an indication you're not tipping enough

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    If you worry about how much to "tip"; it's an indication you're not tipping enough
    Or, more likely, an indication you're worrying too much.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by rk
    Or, more likely, an indication you're worrying too much.
    In summer of 1981 I had the opportunity to attend a Robert Pante' image
    workshop. http://www.robertpante.com/about/index.php

He did a short sequence on abundance vs shortage mentality.

Remembering him saying how everyday we have an opportunity to prove there is
    abundance.

His personal way as I remember him saying was that he crossed the Golden Gate bridge
    daily and that he would always pay for his own car, and the car just behind him.

He went on to relate what joy it brought him to look in his rear view mirror to
    see the car behind him in total awe about a stranger paying their toll.

Generosity is a character attribute.

My view is the more I give, the more I get. I want alot, so I give alot.

I'm sure there's something to this "Law of Abundance", but it does seem that the people who propose it the most are charging an "abundance" of fees for the promotion of a self-serving philosophy. It kind of reminds me of the characters from Pinocchio who told him to plant a money tree by burying money, which they would promptly dig up and abscond with.

I believe you do create a reality of abundance in your life by opening yourself to its possibilities. The only thing is, abundance has very little to do with money and much more to do with a wealth of good relationships and a happy life.

If you do become highly focused on creating material wealth, the attitude of self-enrichment creates people around you who want to have yours. If you give with an expectation of getting something back, i.e., manipulating the law, you're only drawing people who have an expectation of getting something out of you.

I say, instead of focusing on creating material wealth -- which actually implies a present povery consciousness -- focus instead of achieving a sense of purpose and harmony with the universe, and those material things will all be added unto you in their own good measure...if not wealth, the possibility of living comfortably and happily within your means.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    I'm sure there's something to this "Law of Abundance", but it does seem that the people who propose it the most are charging an "abundance" of fees for the promotion of a self-serving philosophy. It kind of reminds me of the characters from Pinocchio who told him to plant a money tree by burying money, which they would promptly dig up and abscond with.

I believe you do create a reality of abundance in your life by opening yourself to its possibilities. The only thing is, abundance has very little to do with money and much more to do with a wealth of good relationships and a happy life.

If you do become highly focused on creating material wealth, the attitude of self-enrichment creates people around you who want to have yours. If you give with an expectation of getting something back, i.e., manipulating the law, you're only drawing people who have an expectation of getting something out of you.

I say, instead of focusing on creating material wealth -- which actually implies a present povery consciousness -- focus instead of achieving a sense of purpose and harmony with the universe, and those material things will all be added unto you in their own good measure...if not wealth, the possibility of living comfortably and happily within your means.
    Doug...it's like this:
    "If you're on the give, you get given to".
    "If you're on the take, you get taken from".

JUST GIVE!!!

Doug...it's like this:

JUST GIVE!!!
    So anyway, that's what you tell your bellhop when he has his hand out.

Jim

Doug...it's like this:

JUST GIVE!!!
    So anyway, that's what you tell your bellhop when he has his hand out.
    You catch on quick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast