Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default The Best Beach Scene is in South Beach (Pictures)

TripAdvisor announced the top 10 beach scenes in the world - those with the hottest beaches and coolest night life.

According to the site's travelers and editors, South Beach is the best!

From the Release:

1. Scene of the Prime: South Beach, Miami, Florida Miami is the land of the beautiful, and home to the best people watching this side of the equator. SoBe is the epicenter of sexy, with celebrities, locals and tourists competing in a game of skimpy attire "can you top(less) this". The city's white sand-covered beaches are among the finest in the world, and there might not be a better combination of sand, clubs and nightlife anywhere.
    We beat out: Ibiza, Spain; Cancun, Mexico; Rio de Janiero, Brazil; Nice, France; Phuket, Thailand; Mykonos, Greece; Gold Coast, Australia; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; and Honolulu, Hawaii.

Below is an ariel photograph of the Loews hotel.

What's your favorite beach?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1. Hout Bay, South Africa (I have attached a image of the beach, incidentally I lived in the white apartment block)
    3. Paradise Bay, Malta
    2. Biarritz, France

Are my choices but I suspect that may change when I come to Miami this year!

Suzanne C

I'd say Culebra Island in Puerto Rico and Point Reyes in California.
    Note: I didn't go in the water at Point Reyes because it was December but the backdrop was SOOOOOOOOOOO gorgeous!

I'm a nature girl trapped in the city....but only because I would be miserable if I left this place!

Gus

Awesome beach picture, Lee_. Thanks for posting!

My favorite is Beacon's in Encinitas, California.

Anyone else got a cool beach they'd like to tell us about?

Gus, thanks for the link it looks like a place I would like to visit.

Although I did end up clicking on the girls volleyball team link before quickly closing it down after feeling a little pervy for having clicked on the said link.

Gus

Lee, here's some non-volleyball distracting info about the beach, an FIU professor and coastal expert from Miami who goes by the handle "Dr. Beach" has issued his list of the best beaches for 2007:

1. Ocracoke Beach, Outer Banks, N.C.
    2. Caladesi Island State Park, Clearwater, Fla.
    3. Coopers Beach, Southampton, N.Y.
    4. Hanalei Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
    5. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.
    6. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
    7. Main Beach, East Hampton, N.Y.
    8. Coronado Beach, San Diego, Calif.
    9. Lighthouse Point Park, Ponce Inlet, Fla.
    10. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Fla.
    Dr. Stephen Leatherman ranks the beaches using 50 different criteria including aesthetics, amenities and safety and includes such factors as noise, wildlife, litter and sand quality. Only swimming beaches are eligible.

Past national winners

2005: Fort DeSoto Park's North Beach, Tierre Verde, Fla.
    2004: Hanauma Bay, Oahu, Hawaii
    2003: Kaanapali, Hawaii
    2002: St. Joseph Peninsula State Park, Port St. Joe, Fla.
    2001: Poipu Beach Park, Hawaii
    2000: Mauna Kea Beach, Hawaii
    1999: Wailea Beach, Hawaii
    1998: Kailua Beach Park, Hawaii
    1997: Hulopoe, Hawaii
    1996: Lanikai Beach, Hawaii
    1995: St. Andrews State Park, Panama City, Fla
    1994: Grayton Beach State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, Fla
    1993: Hapuna, Hawaii
    1992: Bahia Honda State Park, Big Pine Key, Fla.
    1991: Kapalua Bay Beach, Hawaii
    All of the beaches are described in his book "America's Best Beaches".

Since starting his list in '91, Dr. Leatherman has featured 8 Florida beaches:

Caladesi Island State Park, Lighthouse Point Park, Siesta Beach, Fort DeSoto Park's North Beach, St. Joseph Peninsula State Park, St. Andrews State Park, Grayton Beach State Park, Bahia Honda State Park

I'm glad we have a coastal expert living in Miami.

Below is a picture of Caladesi Island State Park in Clearwater, Florida.

Photos of Dr. Leatherman's best beaches can be found here.

Gus, that is an amazing photo! Let's take a road trip; Caladesi is only 280 miles North of Miami.

I don't think I can rank my favorite beaches in a particular order but I am a fan of the beaches in CA (any of them really), Maui, Key Biscayne (voted one of the Top Beaches in the US), Sanibel, and it has been a while but I remember Bimini, Bahamas had an awesome beach with white sand and perfect water, and the beach in Long Island had surprisingly, soft sand.

Maybe this is a bit off-topic but when I lived in Block Island, RI, it wasn't that the beach was so beautiful, but you could walk way out in the water and the waves would break from all different angles. I felt like I was standing on top of the water. That was an incredible feeling!

Suzanne C

I'm with Michelle.....Sanibel and Captiva have (had) BEAUTIFUL beaches. Supposedly, those beaches are the seashell capital! I remember renting a townhouse right on the water....When the waves woke me at 7 AM, I walked over to the beach. Seashells and Silver Dollars everywhere!

Granted, I have not been there since the hurricane that cut Captiva Island in two! (2004)

Wow Gus that picture is stunning.

This thread makes me depressed looking out the window at the weather here.

Sunny beautiful places make me feel good about life, does anyone else find the climate and external conditions affect how they feel?

Lee, perhaps you are suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) may affect over 10 million Americans while the milder, "Winter Blues" may affect a larger number of individuals.

The typical symptoms of SAD include depression, lack of energy, increased need for sleep, a craving for sweets and weight gain. Symptoms begin in the fall, peak in the winter and usually resolve in the spring. Some individuals experience great bursts of energy and creativity in the spring or early summer. Susceptible individuals who work in buildings without windows may experience SAD-type symptoms at any time of year. Some people with SAD have mild or occasionally severe periods of mania during the spring or summer.
    I know exactly how you feel. I am from Connecticut and those winter days, full of gloom and darkness really put me in a bad mood. I think that is why I love FL. A person can never get too much sunshine!

Come visit us real soon! Until then, enjoy the photos. :coolsmile:

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_
    Sunny beautiful places make me feel good about life, does anyone else find the climate and external conditions affect how they feel?
    Yes, I can relate. I lived in Chicago for a few years. Every winter, I'd feel a little depressed. Vacations were an important thing to look forward to.

For me, the best vacations are the ones where I can soak up the sun, and even get little bit sunburned.

There's nothing more relaxing than waking from an afternoon nap after having spent a few hours at the beach. But a few hours is all I can take. I'm not the kind of person that can spend all day at the beach.... I get bored.

Thanks for the link Michelle and post Gus.

I don't think its anything that serious, I just feel much better feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin and I feel a lot more relaxed and cheerful in weather like that. I guess the sun plays a bigger part in my moods than I would like to admit.

I spent several years on Patrol Ships in the Royal Navy off the coast of Scotland and it is bitterly cold all year around at sea in that area, I had hypothermia several times on long range ship boardings. If you fall in the sea you have less than 2 minutes to live but anyway the point is after experiencing such miserable weather I then worked in different areas of the Royal Navy and lived in Italy, Gibraltar, Malta and South Africa and then when I left I returned to the lovely place of Congleton but has miserable weather, some days I really do miss the good weather.

I would love to move to another country which has a better climate but this really isn't possible at the moment as I am a UK trained Stockbroker and I have a very successful business and would have to start from scratch if I moved.

A late entry from me and one that has just popped into my head.

Zakynthos - This place has lots of beaches like the picture below.

Having lived in California, and (now) Florida, I have to say I enjoy the beaches much better here! The rocky cliffs and gnarly pines along the Central California Coast are really appealing to the eye, but I crave interaction with the scenery, and the water over that way is freezing! You also have to wait for the fog to settle, which lingers past noon on many days, and, at night, with lows in the 50's, Pacific beaches must be enjoyed with a parka!

South Florida beaches hold a special fascination for me, because of the water's electric turquoise color. It absolutely glows, even at night! Most of the year, the ocean is bathwater warm, and accessible from the early morning to late evening. There are also less great white sharks in these waters, thankfully! What's more, there's the diversity of beachside scenarios: you can have the Atlantic City boardwalk feel of Hollywood, with its carnival atmosphere, nudity at Haulover, or the sensuality of South Beach -- all within an hour's drive. I also have a thing for coconut palms, ever since I was a kid watching Gilligan's Island reruns. Dr. Beach may list other favorites, but he's living in Miami!

Outside the US, I had the good fortune of visiting Playa del Carmen in Mexico recently, and the water is as beautiful as Florida's, with the added benefit of coral reefs near the shore. Like the Miami area, the waters are also calm. We have the Bahamas as a natural buffer; they have Cozumel. Some like friskier surf, but for snorkeling and just floating on your back, listening to the muffled sound of shells grinding in the surf beneath the surface, calmer seas are the way to go!

This is me, washing up onshore in South Beach!

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by freespirit
    Dr. Beach may list other favorites, but he's living in Miami!
    LOL, you're right, Doug! Thank you for resolving who has the best beach.

What's cool about living in South Beach is you can go to the beach, get wet, dry off, and be home in an hour. It's easy to have getting in the ocean be a part of your daily ritual... just like working out.

I love the beach that I can walk to everyday!

However, I also love Trunk Bay in the Virgin Islands (pictured below) and closer to home, Sanibel and Bahia Honda State Park.

Wow, that's pretty! Now that we're here in Miami, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas are on my "day trip list." I figure even if I get tired of Miami someday, it's still a great jumping off point to the Caribbean and Central/South America.

Doug, that's spot-on! I really enjoy the US Virgin Islands because it's Caribbean but still "organized" in an American way and easy to get to via Puerto Rico. I once took a press trip on one of the Windjammer sailboats from Puerto Rico and we sailed all around the Virgin Islands. It was absolutely heavenly!

OK, let's all quit our jobs and go!

Just kidding ... %-P

How many Caribbean spots has everyone visited? For my former travel writing life, I visited St. Lucia, Aruba, most of the Virgin Islands, Antigua and Puerto Rico. Next time, i hope it's strictly for pleasure and no business whatsoever. At St. John's, I had my hair braided a la Bo Derek, complete with beads. I wore it like that for weeks until my roots started to grow out.

I would really love to go to Trinidad during Carnival.

Maria, you make it sound like so much fun. Let's take a trip soon! The only place I visited in the Caribbean was Bimini, Bahamas. I feel sheltered :red:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast