Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New User

Default Can you drink on the beach?

There are 7 of us. 6 girls and 1 guy all around the age of 25. Where are the popular areas to layout on the beach? Can you drink on the beach?
    Last edited by Jess; 04-26-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: retitled

rk

Since this comes up often, I am posting a picture that explains the beach rules. Technically alcohol is not allowed, but I would guess if you're discreet about it and don't overdo it, it may go unnoticed. I will let someone else answer the other part, but I think anyplace between 1st and 21st St that's close to your hotel should be as good as any other.

Name:  Beach_Rules-01.jpg
Views: 24168
Size:  34.1 KB

Drink out of a cooler in plastic cups and you're fine. Sit with a beer bottle in hand, music blaring and being obnoxious and you may be asked about it! Police patrol the beach in ATVs and at certain parts they can be strict. As for the beach, it doesn't matter where you go. The more lively parts are around 5th-8th though

I think we've been served alcohol on the beach by about 3 or 4 different hotels. I wonder if the hotels are exempt because the City of M.B. knows the hotels won't bring out glass? ... Or, maybe the hotels are just blowing off the law, so as not to get guests P.O.'d?

Glenn and Janet

Exclamation Gr8 point!

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    I think we've been served alcohol on the beach by about 3 or 4 different hotels. I wonder if the hotels are exempt because the City of M.B. knows the hotels won't bring out glass? ... Or, maybe the hotels are just blowing off the law, so as not to get guests P.O.'d?

Glenn and Janet
    If there is no special statuary exemption, there appears to be a huge issue here! Great call!

Never had a problem and I bring the brewskys everytime I hit the beach. I make sure they are canned as to not attract attention, but I don't go out of my way to be clandestine about. The strangest law I've seen on the beach was on Sanibel. Apparently during some months, you can't drink beer on the beach.

The Mrs. had a Margarita brought to her at the water line by the server of Nikki Beach. So go figure.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 04-27-2010 at 12:41 AM.

Technically, you are not allowed to, but everybody does it and unless you start acting like a drunken ass, no one is going to care.

Yes I will say, when I've seen them get strict it was during March. Which, as we all know, is the stupid month here in Miami.

I've done it many times... a good idea is to mix your cocktails in a thermos-style plastic beverage container (large enough to hold several) then serve in a plastic cup and voila. The container keeps the cocktails cold for hours. Seabreezes are a favorite. You can also keep wine chilled in those cartons.

Just check the garbage bins as you leave and you'll see that everybody has been drinking. I once saw a whole group pull out a family size bottle of red wine and they kept it there in plain view.

Carlos is right, as long as you don't act like an ass, they're not going to enforce it.

On Saturday, I noticed the beach cops checking every cooler and bag for alcohol and glass. This was at 1st st, but they were heading north up the beach. Saw one guy taken away in hand cuffs, but I think he was just overly drunk. I believe most were being warned to leave, or to pour it out.

Hotels are allowed to serve alcohol in the city code with a permit. However, they must mix or store the drinks at the hotel. Not permitted to keep it on the sand like a bar. Groups can get temporary permits obviously, like for food and wine festival, special events, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Packer View Post
    On Saturday, I noticed the beach cops checking every cooler and bag for alcohol and glass. This was at 1st st, but they were heading north up the beach. Saw one guy taken away in hand cuffs, but I think he was just overly drunk. I believe most were being warned to leave, or to pour it out.

Hotels are allowed to serve alcohol in the city code with a permit. However, they must mix or store the drinks at the hotel. Not permitted to keep it on the sand like a bar. Groups can get temporary permits obviously, like for food and wine festival, special events, etc.
    That area is full of kids, so they are probably focusing more on underage drinking than anything else.

When I was in high school, we would fill a giant cooler up with beer. Then we would dig up a hole in the sand and place the cooler in the hole, then cover it up with a towel.

We did this because the cops would be out looking for underage drinkers.

But once I reached 21, it didn't really matter anymore. I didn't have to hide anything.

I"ve drank on the beach more times than I can remember and never even been looked at twice. Even before I was 21. SO enjoy it!

I'd say lay out somewhere between 5th and 7th Streets. 8th street to 9th is all trash. North of that it is gay, then gets into hotels.

Actually, they were checking adults and families too. It was around 12pm and wasn't rowdy yet. They were stopping at every person or group with a cooler, reminding them of the rules, and asking to check inside. It seemed all nice and cordial. At 4pm, its like a zoo out there and definitely a more young party zone. I wasn't around then.

I should point out that I always preferred the beaches north of 21st street because they are less crowded and you don't have to deal with as many idiots.

I enjoy between 5th and 7th as well.

Heck, everyone walks from Wet Willies to the beach with drink in hand and I've never seen anyone get harrassed about it. That's weird that they would be walking around and checking coolers, never heard of them doing that. They don't even do that over at the central florida beaches, they just don't want you bringing glass. This is the first time I've even heard that there was a rule on south beach about there being no alcohol allowed on the beach. Interesting.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

We've been drinking on the beach for years courtesy of the hotel cocktail servers and bringing it ourselves.

As everyone has said, be cool about it and you should be fine.

Avoid any glass containers.

Quote Originally Posted by Widmore View Post
    This is the first time I've even heard that there was a rule on south beach about there being no alcohol allowed on the beach. Interesting.
    The rule has always been there, it's just time of year I guess that they choose to enforce it. As I said, during March madness, they were very strict.

New User

Default are they allowed to?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Packer View Post
    Actually, they were checking adults and families too. It was around 12pm and wasn't rowdy yet. They were stopping at every person or group with a cooler, reminding them of the rules, and asking to check inside. It seemed all nice and cordial. At 4pm, its like a zoo out there and definitely a more young party zone. I wasn't around then.
    my first question is: are they allowed to search your cooler or bag? i am not talking about drunk idiots being crazy but anybody being on the beach. yesterday the cops went up to anybody with a beer (glass bottle/can) and asked them to dump it, otherwise fine. suggestion: hide it in a cup or put the can in a sleeve, don't bring a bottle as you are also not allowed to bring glass containers. if somebody steps into broken glass, that really sucks.

I don't think they are legally allowed to search it, no. But they are legally allowed to ask you if they can, and a lot of people probably just agree out of fear. Just like in your car.

I'm pretty sure they are allowed to. Just like when you go into a big sporting event, they search your bags. In Vegas, the big pool parties search everything. Even opened my chapstick looking for drugs and alcohol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast