Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default What should we wear during the day in Miami Beach?

My wife and I are taking our first vacation to Miami Beach in September and we are trying to figure out what to bring with us. I figured it might be best to ask here instead of just going by what people wear on Burn Notice.

I believe we have the evenings pretty much covered. She has plenty of dresses we presume will work (assuming the dresses available in the midwest are not too conservative for Miami Beach), and I've have dark jeans and button down shirts. We presume we are ok for the beach itself as well.

What I am especially wondering about though is what we should wear during the day when we are not on the beach, such as sightseeing in the non-beach parts of Miami Beach, shopping on Lincoln Road (and elsewhere), art galleries, eating lunch, etc. Are shorts appropiate for guys? If so, what shoes (or sandals?) should I wear with them? As for my wife, does she need sundresses, just a swimsuit and a cover-up, or even just a swimsuit?

Thanks for any advice on this and anything else we should know!

Default Re: What should we wear during the day in Miami Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by Meteo View Post
    My wife and I are taking our first vacation to Miami Beach in September and we are trying to figure out what to bring with us. I figured it might be best to ask here instead of just going by what people wear on Burn Notice.

I believe we have the evenings pretty much covered. She has plenty of dresses we presume will work (assuming the dresses available in the midwest are not too conservative for Miami Beach), and I've have dark jeans and button down shirts. We presume we are ok for the beach itself as well.

What I am especially wondering about though is what we should wear during the day when we are not on the beach, such as sightseeing in the non-beach parts of Miami Beach, shopping on Lincoln Road (and elsewhere), art galleries, eating lunch, etc. Are shorts appropiate for guys? If so, what shoes (or sandals?) should I wear with them? As for my wife, does she need sundresses, just a swimsuit and a cover-up, or even just a swimsuit?d

Thanks for any advice on this and anything else we should know!
    You'll probably want to be in shorts your whole stay except when you go out at night. September can be brutal in terms of humidity. I myself adopted the Floridian ways and even go to church wearing shorts It's all about being practicle and comfy. A couple pairs of Tommy Bahamas will have you all taken car of.

As far as footwear, sandals are pretty standard unless you have a Croc fetish like I do.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 08-10-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Sorry for trolling in, I'm also new to the forums (though I feel like I've been here for a long time - reading the posts in the past couple of months).
    It was the middle of September when I first arrived in Miami to spend a couple of years in this great city as a student. (I'm going to visit again this fall, hopefully). I remember, the heat and humidity just hit me when I left the airport building, it was so hot I could hardly breath So I adopted to the lifestyle and left my stylish European shirt-skirt-jacket version of clothing in my luggage and ran out to shop for more weather-appropriate things like sundresses, short-shorts, tank tops and T-shirts. Although I love dressing up nicely, Miami is just not the place for that during the day in the Summer months. Cotton tees, cargo shorts, flip-flops. The good part is that you don't have to go on a huge shopping spree before you visit Miami

Hi Meteo,

For your wife during the day a sundress would be a good choice with flat sandals or flip flops if you're walking around. She can also wear shorts and shirt or tank top. If you just want to walk on Lincoln Rd or Ocean Dr. for lunch after getting off the beach, then she can wear a bathing suit and cover up and you can just wear your swim trunks (no speedos in public please) and whatever shirt you wore to the beach. It's a touristy town so you'll see lots of other people in beach clothes. I would never wear just a bikini on Lincoln or Ocean but people do.

For you walking on Lincoln if you want to change from your swim trunks you can wear shorts, T-shirt (I'd do a polo shirt or T-shirt over a Tommy Bahama shirt, sorry UTS). I prefer flip flops on guys over sandals.

There are so many people from all over the world in Miami that anything goes. I also caution against buying a bunch of new clothes in your hometown because when you get here there's great shopping and clothes and swimsuits that you can't find anywhere else. My favorite place for guys-Vennisac. For women Atrium. I'm not a big fan of the razzle dazzle, sparkly stores on Lincoln but they're very Miami.

shorts singlet hat n sunscreen for both u n the misses. does get muggy here :-)

It is so hot here during the summer months that wear whatever you want to feel cooler.

Default Re: What should we wear during the day in Miami Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by sungal View Post
    Hi Meteo,

For you walking on Lincoln if you want to change from your swim trunks you can wear shorts, T-shirt (I'd do a polo shirt or T-shirt over a Tommy Bahama shirt, sorry UTS). I prefer flip flops on guys over sandals.

Guess I left it open for misinterpretation. You'd never catch me alive with those floral print shirts. I'd go the polo or t-shirt route you suggested. TB however stiches up some bitchin breathable shorts.

Tommy Bahama also has some nice "polo" type shirts..... not just the floral stuff.

Glenn

New User

Default Comfortable clothes her in Miami Heat!!!

I would recommend tank tops and shorts or flowy skirts for women. You can always dress them up with a nice belt, jewelry and sexy sandals...For men, daywear is probably best when you stick to basics like cargo shorts, a nice t-shirt or polo and comfortable tennis shoes or sandals.

There is a Polo Ralph Lauren store located on Collins, Armani Exchange located on 8th street and Collins and of course, Star Image located on Washington Avenue.

It gets hot fairly early in the mornings and lasts until after sundown. Make sure you wear sunscreen, sunglasses and possibly a hat for protection.

Please visit Star Image on 851 Washington Avenue for some great deals. Mention this message on MiamiBeach411.com and receive 30% off your purchase.