Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default How to get from Fort Lauderdale to Miami Beach other than by car

Today I tried going to Miami from Fort Lauderdale by bike. The recommended route (according to google maps) is A1A which certainly isn't bicycle-friendly, so I was wondering if you guys know of a better route to go by bike. If not that, then what buses are there? Or taxi, how much would that cost approximately? I'm staying at a hotel on FLL beach blvd, it's beyond me why there isn't a bridge connecting FLL and Miami Beach, but I guess there's some mysterious purpose to going around half the county instead.

Tried googling but my google skillz aren't very good I guess. Thanks in advance for your help.

rk

Taxi would be something like $80 to $100 one-way.

A cheaper, though slower, option is tri-rail:

http://www.tri-rail.com/

once you get to the airport in Miami you would catch the"airport flyer" (#150 bus) from MIA to south beach for $2.35 one-way per person:

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/lib...r_brochure.pdf

Check the schedules as each service has limited hours.

Port Everglades is why there is no bridge. A1A is about as bike friendly as it gets. I think you'd have to be suicidal to try biking A1A around the airport though. This website has a transfer to Miami Beach but I think it is from the airport. I also think there might be a water taxi from Fort Lauderdale to Miami Beach, I'll try to locate that.

Hi Jackdaw,

MiamiBeach411 offers private transportation from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. The price is $102, and includes alll taxes and gratuities. Some people book private transportation just for themselves, but it's a better value if you're traveling with a group. (For example up to 6 people can travel for $102).

One Way Private Transfer (Ft. Lauderdale to and from Miami) - Transportation - Miami Beach 411 Travel Store

Good Luck!

New User

Default Re: How to get from Fort Lauderdale to Miami Beach other than by car

Thanks for your replies. I went by taxi today, almost exactly $200 there and back.

Does anyone have information about these water taxis or whatever they're called? Do they go from Lauderdale to Miami (Beach) and if so, how much does it cost approx?

Hi jackdaw ... welcome! If there were a bridge between Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale it would be 40 miles long!

Are you back in Lauderdale? The water taxi website lists a Fort Lauderdale to South Beach catamaran ride but I'm not sure if that's still active. The last time I inquired about it, they weren't doing it or they were only doing it during the winter heavy tourist season.

If you're a visitor in Fort Lauderdale, the water taxi is a great way to get around. I believe the day pass for unlimited on/off rides is about $14 (less if you take it after a certain time at night). The water taxi ride on the intracoastal is fun and you pass by some incredible luxury homes. If you're lucky, you'll get a good storytelling captain. You can also take it up the new river, which is beautiful. Stop at the Stranahan House for a historical tour and do some pub hopping too. I recommend The Downtowner and The Pirate Republic Bar. Both feature waterfront seating and are casual, reasonably priced.

More info is on their website: Water Taxi - "More than just a boat ride!" I suggest you call them to confirm all the pricing etc ;

Default Re: How to get from Fort Lauderdale to Miami Beach other than by car

The South Florida Daily Blog today posted an article from a Montreal newspaper about the water taxi that goes from Ft. Lauderdale to South Beach.

It actually sounds like it could be a fun experience. I may write about it.

Getting to Miami's famous South Beach district from Fort Lauderdale can be a headache with all the traffic congestion. A relaxing alternative is the catamaran express operated by Water Taxi. From Dec. 26 to April 27, the twin-diesel, 200-passenger catamaran will operate five days a week (not Wednesdays and Thursdays), leaving Fort Lauderdale at 10 a.m. and arriving in South Beach at 12:30 p.m. Passengers can spend four hours in the trendy Art Deco neighbourhood before starting the return trip at 4:30 p.m. The cost is $33 round-trip per adult, with discounts for seniors and children.

Carlos, thanks for posting that link! I mentioned it above and am glad to hear they are reviving the Fort Lauderdale to Miami water taxi. Let me know when you go ... I want to check it out too.