Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Vacationing in South Beach in August

Hi everyone! I'm posting on behalf of a forum member who was having trouble posting a thread. I am sharing some of their questions here.

Five people (I think they're all girls) ages 21-30 coming to South Beach Aug 22 for 2 weeks. They hail from the UK. This is what they want to know:

• The weather around that time

• How much spending money we would need for 2 weeks
    • Are restaurants and alcohol very expensive
    • Is it very busy around this time
    • how much does it cost to get into nightclubs? (In England they spend about $90 on a "really good night")

Thanks folks for helping our new member out!

Wow, a 2 week vacation is nice!

The weather will be super hot, humid, and will probably rain for at least an hour half of the days you're here. I suggest staying in a hotel with a decent pool area, since the beach can almost be too hot and uncomfortable certain days.

South Beach has lots of variety as far as restaurants. You can spend $100 per person or $15 depending where you go and the number of drinks you have. Browse the Dining section and take a look at some menus. Having drinks at upscale hotels and clubs is pricey. At least $15 per drink. Just have money in your account and use your debit/credit card as you go. The shopping is great so factor that in too, and maybe you'd want to do a tour to Key West or something.

For girls, there's usually no charge to get into clubs.

New User

Hi,

Thanks for the reply are there anymore reviews?

Hi Sim_22

It may not cost anything for girls to get into a club, but that doesn't mean it's easy to get into a club. Also, drinks are expensive in clubs and the bars/lounges at fancy hotels. (Look to spend at least $17 on a plain cocktail, more for something fancier).

Here are two links from our Nightlife section that you should check out:

Helpful tips for partying in Miami
    Miami nightlife on a budget

As for food, Christy summed that up for you. There are plenty of cheap places to eat if all you want is a fast hamburger, sub sandwich or slice of pizza, that kind of thing. Look at spending around $10 or less on each meal for those kind of restaurants. But if you sit down to eat anywhere a little fancier, factor spending $15 - $20 or more on an entree or about $15 on a dinner salad. This is without alcohol. All this being said, in August things are VERY SLOW business wise and restaurants may have really good specials. Take advantage of happy hour and "early bird" dinner specials.

Which leads me to the next point, no it will not be busy. August is a very hot, humid month and tourists stay away. On the plus side, hotels and restaurants know this and tend to offer more discounts and specials.

I'm not sure where you are staying, but you seem like a big enough group to consider a small apartment vacation rental for two weeks. If you are on a tight budget, this could work well for you as you can stock up on some basic food if you have a small kitchen. Also, stock up on liquor so you can "pre game" before you go out.

Also factor in taxi costs. I have paid $10 to go one mile in South Beach. It is very expensive. If you want to do any tours and visit attractions, you'll have to factor those costs and transportation as well.

New User

Thanks were planning to stay at Loew hotel... Have u heard of this one?

The Loew's Hotel is a nice one, right in the middle of all the action but also facing the beach. It's a great location.