Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 1 day and 11 hours in Miami

Hi All,

I'm stopping over in Miami on the way back to London after a job in Chile.
    I don't know the town at all but have been told I need to head to South Beach.

I arrive early on a Monday morning and want to stay in a good hotel that has a friendly scene, would like to meet some people have a drink etc.

Could you recomend a couple of places to stay that has a cool vibe, maybe DJs in the bar at night or a club where a single male doesn't look like a jerk.
    I'm into house, future Jazz, broken beats and lounge.

Also if anyone has some ideas of where I should check out during the day I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Phil

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Phil, welcome to Miami Beach 411.

We'd be happy to offer you some suggestions.

1 day and 11 hours is not much time.

What dates will you'll be in Miami?

How early in the morning are you arriving?

What time do you depart?

What is the maximum per night you want to spend on the hotel?

For starters, I suggest taking taxi to South Beach, and enjoying a leisurely breakfast... that is, unless you arrive ungodly-early. If that's the case, perhaps you want to hit up a club?

New User

Thanks for the quick reply.

I land on the morning of the 27th at 5.40am so probably be out of the airport 6.30ish.

Have a bit of money to spend on a hotel as the pound is good against the dollar - looking at up to $300 maybe a bit more if I'm going to get the real deal.
    However from what I have read Miami is quite a party town so not sure I want to pay stupid amounts on a room I won't get to use. Hmmm tricky.

Phil

Gus

You probably won't need to spend that much for a hotel. I see the Victor at $239. If oceanfront is not important, The Hotel Of South Beach is $180 - both are luxury hotels.

The first obstacle is, what to do before you can check in to the hotel?

(I should have asked you how much luggage you have?)

Let's assume you get to South Beach at 7:30am and you can't check in until 1pm.

What I'd do first is have a slow breakfast at News Cafe on Ocean Drive. If you're feeling chatty, sit inside at the patio bar. The bartenders at News Cafe are usually knowledgeable about the area and like to talk. When I go for breakfast, I order the fried egg sandwich (no cheese) with the eggs scrambled, and either potatoes, tomato slices, or both.

After breakfast, you still have 4 hours to kill before check-in. You may want to burn those breakfast carbs off with a walk along the board walk, the beach, and Ocean Drive. You'll see lot's of people exercising and restaurants setting up shop.

(Note: if you befriend the bartender at the restaurant, you may consider asking them if you can drop a bag, or two while you do your walk)

Bummer. I was going to tell you to go to The Wolfsonian Museum, but the museum doesn't open until 12pm. There's a gift shop where you could have dropped your bags, and spent an hour and half touring the Museum. If you like Propaganda Art, you should still see the Museum. That's a shame they open so late.

What is there to do in Miami Beach from 9am to 1pm?

- Camp out at your hotel swimming pool
    - Take a Duck Tour, or a 3 hour city tour of Miami.
    - Go to the beach
    - Take a nap in Lummus Park
    - Internet Cafe
    - Take a taxi to The Holocaust Memorial which is right near Lincoln Road. The Memorial is free. You can check it out, and then walk 4 blocks to Lincoln Road, and go see a movie.

What sounds fun to you?

Did you have a something planned to do before checking in?

If not, make sure to have your bathing suit handy, and bring some reading material.

Gus

For those early arrivers who are really nasty, Club Deuce opens at 8am.

Open 8am-5am. HAPPY HOUR 8am-7pm. 222 14th St. Miami Beach 33139. 305.531.6200.

New User

wow, that's some serious knowledge you've hit me with.

Thank you so much for your help - what a great site.

Phil

Gus

Sorry, Phil, I didn't mean to overwhelm you with too much bs.

If you have a lot of luggage, you can also take the taxi to your hotel, drop off your bags, and keep yourself busy until the room is available.

Are you flying out of Miami International Airport at 5pm the next day?

Hi Phil! All Miami activities are governed by one thing: HEAT!

Go for a dip in the ocean before noon. I would recommend a LONG lunch followed by any indoor activity. Why not do museums in the afternoon? It's a perfect way to beat the heat. World Erotic Art Museum and the Wolfsonian are both in South Beach. The Bass Museum is a quick cab ride.

I would then recommend sunset drinks at Monty's Miami Beach marina and at night dinner and a stroll on Lincoln Road. If you like seafood, try Doraku (Lincoln between Alton & Lenox). I just had a bowl of mussels there that was incredible! Actually I was dining with a Londoner, what a coincidence! Also, they are currently my favorite place for mojitos!

You may enjoy Jazzid on Washington avenue ... groovy music in the upstairs lounge. If you're feeling particularly homesick, Free Spirits is a great dive British pub on 23rd street.

New User

Booked into the Raleigh as advised by a friend who had a good night over the music conference.
    How much he remembers is a matter of debate but I was pretty much forced to do it.

Please tell me this is OK - It looks pretty swanky.

To answer a previous question, I'll be out of town by 5pm so whatever it was that I will miss will have to do it without me.

Thanks again

Hi Phil,

I just spent a wonderful afternoon yesterday poolside at the Raleigh. The staff was incredibly friendly -- everyone from the bartenders, to the pool manager was very congenial, before they even knew I was there to research an upcoming article about local swimming pools on miamibeach411.com. The Raleigh pool is beautiful, overflowing and surrounded by an outer, shallower edge, where the water is warmer. There is a diving board/waterfall at the end, which people would float under from time to time in their inner tubes. I could've stayed there all day, it was so enjoyable, but I had to cover four other places. Of all the places I've visited so far, the Raleigh scored the highest in customer service. Here are a few pictures of the Raleigh pool, just to whet your appetite!
    Attached Images Attached Images         

New User

Yep that looks like me right there. In fact I can almost see a drink with my name on it behind the bar.

Thanks.

Gus

Phil, I like your style. Just chill by the pool and relax for the day. The Religh is a very nice oceanfront hotel located near Lincoln Road and the boardwalk on Ocean Drive (see: map).

If you do venture off the resort, take a walk down Lincoln and Ocean - both areas can feel magical at sunset.