Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Fishing in Miami and Keys

gotcha! Thanks a lot. I do a lot of fly fishing up here in ga and i am wanting to fish some down there. my wife has us at miami for 4 nights and then we are driving down to key west for 4 nights. ive recieved some advice for the keys but im wondering about miami. ive heard in places there is some very good fishing. any advice?

Hi broman! Do you want to fly fish in Miami or explore other types of fishing?

Your best bet will probably be to hire a private guide. July is a really hot month and I don't know what's biting out there now for fly or light tackle, but you might want to fish Biscayne Bay for bonefish. Florida Bay is excellent but that's down towards the Keys. The Everglades is a pretty long trek. It all depends on how much you want to fish!

I know tarpon is really heavy right now, but not sure if that will be the case in July. I'm going to the gulf coast next week for tarpon fishing.

I know there are always a ton of people fishing all over Key Biscayne. I dont fish much but I owuld like to get more into it.

New User

I tried to ask on another topic if anyone knows if there's any organiser of fishing trips that you don't need to charter the whole boat. Would like to go for a spin and take my girlfriend with me, but since she don't fish, it's a bit too expensive to charter a boat just for my fishing.

Martin posted on our Facebook page and offered this advice:

My advice is to get down to the keys if u like fly fishing. Try Barry Hoffman at flatsguide.com...he's in tavernier - superb guide - esp if u want to fly fish.

Dylan, you mean on the bridges, right?

Jore, for fly fishing you would probably go with a flats fishing guide, not a big, deep sea charter. And most certainly not a "party boat" for snapper and that kind of thing.

If you rent a boat and bring your own tackle it's probably more expensive in the end. Not to mention that you won't know where to fish if you're not familiar with what's biting and the territory.

If any guide or captain takes a boat out, he's going to have to charge for the whole boat and guide services. The best bet would be to share that with someone else.

A party boat is probably would probably work for you if you want to just go out and share the cost with a bunch of other people. Night fishing is particularly fun. You get to keep all the fish you catch. Don't forget to tip the mate! You can bring a small cooler on the boat with beers & snacks. Your girlfriend will probably get bored but she can fish too if she wants.

I forgot to mention that Long Key recreation area in the Keys is a great place for wade fishing for bonefish. You can do fly there.

New User

Default Re: Fishing in Miami and Keys

Thanks maria and doug. Yes I def want to fly fish. I usually go out dep sea fishing every year a couple of times, but have never really been anywhere that has "good" saltwater fly fishing. I fly fish alot here in n.e. ga where i live. I actually just got home from a wonderful morning hike/fly fishing trip, i'm addicted i hit the trout streams around here at least 4 times a week. I am planning on going out on a boat atleast once but i really would like to try some fly fishing on my own also. I have rods and reels plenty big enough i just need to fig out where to go. thanks again for your help.
    Stephen Mcfarlin

Hi broman,

I have done wade fishing at Matheson Hammock park in south Coral Gables and on Long Key, as mentioned above.

I'm not sure what's biting now though, but potentially you could catch bonefish, redfish or sea trout.

Matheson Hammock is a beautiful park and worth visiting, even if you don't fish! The wading area is on the south end of the park. The water can be murky or have too much floating sea grass. Also, there are crocodile warning signs ...

Long Key Recreation Area is a camp ground. The water is clear and sandy there.

Hobie Beach on Key Biscayne might be another option as it's pretty shallow. But I've only caught sea trout there.

There is a canal on Old Cutler Road where people fish. One is a trail just past Matheson Hammock and the other is more of a drainage canal that lets out into the ocean. You'd fish from land, obviously but it might be higher ground and I don't know if that works with fly technique. I don't know the exact addresses for these spots off the top of my head. I'll pass by and come back here with more info.

I still think your best bet is hiring a backcountry guide in the Keys for Florida Bay or hiring a local guide to take you through the Biscayne Bay flats. Unfortunately, I don't know any one particular one to recommend as I always fished on my own.

Oh, another option is bass fishing in the Glades. Again, you'd need a guide.

There are few things more wonderful in Florida than being on a flatsboat before dawn and seeing daybreak in Florida Bay or on the flats in the Keys. I hope you get to experience that kind of fishing.

I hope you'll come back and update me on your fishing adventures!

If you really want to splurge, you can pay more than $2,000 and charter the Qualifier, which is the boat I was on this weekend when I was shooting video for the Dolphins charity event (second half of video).

It's a 52-foot luxury fishing boat operated by Captain Terry Claus and his son, First Mate, Trey Claus. Really great guys.

And it's a beautiful boat.

Carlos, that boat looks awesome but our friend is looking for light tackle fly fishing.

Oh well, I figured it was worth a mention in case anybody else is drawn to this thread because they want to find fishing opportunities.

Totally worth the mention. Thanks, Carlos.

I have a friend visiting from out of town this fall, and we are planning on going to a Dolphins game. Seeing as there may not be a football season we were thinking about going fishing.

I myself would love to go deep sea fishing and catch something big. Do you guys know of anything that doesn't cost 2 grand? I think it would be a blast, but I know that is outside of our budget.

Rlshea, what would be your maximum budget for this?

I know someone who does deep sea fishing but you'd have to drive to Lantana. It's not that far though.

Default Florida Fishing License & Regulations

By the way, if you are going to fish in Florida, please be aware of required licenses, regulations and catch limits.

If you hire a guide they usually have a commercial licenses that cover you.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/

New User

Default Re: Fishing in Miami and Keys

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    A party boat is probably would probably work for you if you want to just go out and share the cost with a bunch of other people. Night fishing is particularly fun. You get to keep all the fish you catch. Don't forget to tip the mate! You can bring a small cooler on the boat with beers & snacks. Your girlfriend will probably get bored but she can fish too if she wants.
    Hey Maria, thanks for this info! Do you know where the party boats leave?

Hey Maria just saw this, I'm really not sure what our max budget would be. It would depend on a few things... A) do we have jobs yet (not likely) B) Whether the football season has started yet (planning on going to Dolphin MNF game) and C) How many people are coming...

That said I don't think they would want to do it if it costed more than a couple hundred per person... Is that reasonable or not?

rlshea and jore,

I am doing a little research on your questions. Stay tuned...

New User

We went out today with Kelley Fleet which leaves from Haulover Park Marina (10800 Collins Ave). Half day (4 hours) fishing/cruise costed me $36 and my girlfriend $30 because she didn't fish. The service was good altough the only guys who seemed to get fish were some locals with their own equipment. They mainly lifted some black tuna (?) and in addition to that some guy did get a relatively big (10-15lb?) king fish.

Only bad thing was that me and my gf were really sea sick which was odd because my familys summer house is at sea side and I have been in the sea fishing for all of my life. But atleast now I know what it feels like to be sea sick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast