Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Solo gal vacationing alone in Sobe

New User

Default Solo gal vacationing alone in Sobe

This will be one of my many trips/visits to miami. South Beach in particular i have had beyond amazing experiences everytime. This time will be different though, im going alone. For many reasons. I am in my early thirties, look younger and love the nightlife as well as cultural aspects during vacationing.

I will also be staying for a hostel for my very first time ever-alot of firsts for me. What i am scared about honestly is the nightlife. I have my days planned and love being solo in the day time i have: a miami tour planned, boatride planned, 3 musuems i want to hit up, tattoo shops to see, cuban food to eat, and beaches to lay on So my days will be filled.

Im more nervous about my nights, im hoping i make some friends on the tour or in the hostel, but wandering around alone at night...i dunno. Also night life is kinda awkward for women all dressed up going at it alone...what to do at night for a single girl? I will be there spanning over a weekend so i doubt ill be able to hit the sack and sleep early in a hostel at sundown due to noise and others getting ready to go out. Im afraid that come sundown im going to feel like a loser. I have heard that the hostels get groups to go together to clubs for smaller prices-ive never paid to get into a club on south beach. Everytime i would go to the beach someone(promoters?) would give us bracelets or cards to get into vip at nikki beach, mansion, etc so if i went with a hostel group id have to pay?

Any recomendations? advice? safety tips?

Also i could not get into the only hostel with a pool (tropics because i do not have a passport-Jazz hostel and Southbeach hostel do not require a passport FYI) so im looking to crash a swimming pool. Not a fancy pool, any pool.

Im thinking the intercontinental on collins, i stayed there before and there was not one staff member every anywhere near the pool and the ocean access gate stays open. Is it still like this? any other pools like that w/ access from the ocean or lobby that arent monitored (p.s. i read the pool crashing thread, i dont need to be at one that fancy,lol).

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you can give me.
    Last edited by HeatherlyBlu; 06-11-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Hi Heatherly, welcome to the forums.

The National Hotel offers a really reasonably priced day pass for their pool, which I believe includes a beach chair and umbrella as well. Give them a call to see what their prices are when you arrive. Then you don't really have to sweat the crashing part.

You should have no problem as far as safety goes. I'm single, have lived and partied on the beach for years. Just use common sense like anywhere else and with dealing with strangers. (Do I sound like a den mother? LOL)

I personally don't like clubs but can be entertained all night with the bars and certain lounges in South Beach. But I think if you have your heart set on clubbing, it might be good to go with a group just because it would be more fun!

If you just go to bars you don't need to dress up. But if you decide to wear something clubby or slinky, you and every other club goer will be wearing the same thing. People walk around half naked on South Beach anyway. It just doesn't stand out so much.

A club promoter is a member of this forum. I'll have him chime in. I think he can set you up if you text him. Anyway, he'll give you the details.

New User

Thanks Maria, I am going to check with the National a beach chair and an umbrella is a nice little touch, and would relieve the stress of crashing,lol. sounds like a winning option.

I think lounges like you mentioned sound like a good option for me. Im going to search on here for some.

I have been to the clevelander everytime ive visited and definitely just dressed breezy and nice-not slinky, but i worry about standing in that line alone,it could be overwhelming to go there alone(gets crowded not alot of seating bar space) although with the company of a friend its a more laid back vibe. Hmmm, id like to hit up like a mini version of the clevelanders bar outdoors, chill-but smaller. Do you have any recommendations for some low key night life right the sobe hot streets, that i could hit up that wouldnt be so overwhelming? I would actually be fine with low key not so dressy night life options, just dont want to be bored come sundown.

Im not sure if i want to do the big clubs like nikkibeach, space, etc. Even if i make friends maybe just a bar im looking for or a lounge like you said.

Id be great if a known promoter chimed in, thanks for the assistance. I have 1 promoters contact info, but i dont want to contact him and let him know id be out there alone, he was nice and did get us into nikkibeach, but i had a friend with me last time, and that was the only time id met him.Dont think for safety reasons i should use him this time.
    Last edited by HeatherlyBlu; 06-11-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Default Re: Solo gal vacationing alone in Sobe

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherlyBlu View Post
    This will be one of my many trips/visits to miami. South Beach in particular i have had beyond amazing experiences everytime. This time will be different though, im going alone. For many reasons. I am in my early thirties, look younger and love the nightlife as well as cultural aspects during vacationing.

I will also be staying for a hostel for my very first time ever-alot of firsts for me. What i am scared about honestly is the nightlife. I have my days planned and love being solo in the day time i have: a miami tour planned, boatride planned, 3 musuems i want to hit up, tattoo shops to see, cuban food to eat, and beaches to lay on So my days will be filled.

Im more nervous about my nights, im hoping i make some friends on the tour or in the hostel, but wandering around alone at night...i dunno. Also night life is kinda awkward for women all dressed up going at it alone...what to do at night for a single girl? I will be there spanning over a weekend so i doubt ill be able to hit the sack and sleep early in a hostel at sundown due to noise and others getting ready to go out. Im afraid that come sundown im going to feel like a loser. I have heard that the hostels get groups to go together to clubs for smaller prices-ive never paid to get into a club on south beach. Everytime i would go to the beach someone(promoters?) would give us bracelets or cards to get into vip at nikki beach, mansion, etc so if i went with a hostel group id have to pay?

Any recomendations? advice? safety tips?

Also i could not get into the only hostel with a pool (tropics because i do not have a passport-Jazz hostel and Southbeach hostel do not require a passport FYI) so im looking to crash a swimming pool. Not a fancy pool, any pool.

Im thinking the intercontinental on collins, i stayed there before and there was not one staff member every anywhere near the pool and the ocean access gate stays open. Is it still like this? any other pools like that w/ access from the ocean or lobby that arent monitored (p.s. i read the pool crashing thread, i dont need to be at one that fancy,lol).

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you can give me.
    Hello Heather

check with the hostel they have arrangements with certain nightclubs.. if not contact me at fabian@fabianevents.com

New User

Thank you for your contact info Fabian, if for some reason hostel events at night don't happen or don't work out for whatever reason i will check with you

:0) Also its good to know of a reputable promoter period.

Hi Heatherly, try Jazzid music lounge on Washington Avenue (rock, alternative, artsy, boho), upstairs at the Van Dyke (they have live music also, but more jazzy) and The Florida Room at The Delano. The Florida Room will probably have a line, but if you get there early, it's pretty much a shoe-in. I don't think they are as picky as other clubs.

The Clevelander has two different bars upstairs now. Check their website for events.

Also, I didn't mention it before, but Ladies Nights would seem like an easy way to start the evening!

New User

Thank you for your awesome help Maria, i will report back on what worked for me aka what i wasn't too afraid to try out,lol.

The boho artsy type atmoshpere is sounding interesting, i havent heard of these places through my own experiences so im glad you mentioned them.Think im going to stick to loungey atmoshperes, so i can have some drinks but still function for planned activities in the morning-okay, early afternoon :0)

Hi Heatherly! Let us know how it goes!

If you are here at the end of the month, a few of us 411 people are getting together at Monty's: Mid-Summer 411 Meetup

PS Monty's is another fun, laid back place to go to for sunset cocktails.

Hi Heatherly!

When I first moved to Miami I went out alone. Segafreddo Espresso on Lincoln Rd is great. You can sit down, the drinks are $9, there's a DJ and if you sit in the couch area people mix and mingle. Another favorite spot was the Delano. Although the drinks are pricey, they have a lobby bar and a pool bar and it's a beautiful setting. There are lots of tourists and most of the time I've been invited to go to a club afterwords.

I've done it, but I would not recommend going to the larger clubs like Mansion, mynt, LIV on your own. Mostly because it's hard to socialize there and you won't have another person looking out for you.

There are other solo travelers, and they too are looking for people to hang out with. I'm sure you'll have a great time. I wouldn't worry at all about walking on main roads in SoBe at night. The streets are crowded and taxis are cheap.

I visited sobe alone also before I moved, and moved there knowing no one. Christy is right, the clubs may not be the best place to go, as you are alone. I used to hit up the bars and you get chatting to people in a safer, less agressive enviroment. I suggest Waxys, Teds, Zekes and Purdy Lounge. And have fun!

I never stayed in any of the Miami Beach hostels but I stayed in plenty in Europe and I always met fellow travelers whom I partied with at night.

I imagine it will be no different in Miami Beach. It will probably be much easier because people come down here solely to party.

So I recommend keeping up with this site and Fabian, the promoter on this site, to find out the best places to go when you are here.

Then use that information to organize a night out with the people you meet at the hostel.

They will be impressed that you are in the know.

New User

thank you all, for all the names of chill sounding night spots! im gonna have to actually do some research an narrow down where i can go, i may not be able to hit them all up....wish i could.

Im going to be just barely missing the date of the meetup :o(

When i return i plan to write something up to try to give back to the community about how i spent my time alone , and the hostel experience.

I second Jess' bar suggestions! They are some of my fave places and I never hesitate to go, even if I'm alone or hanging out alone waiting for someone.

I'm sorry you'll be missing the meetup date but we will surely welcome any thoughts on how you spent your time! You can help other members here as well. We'd love your input.

And don't be afraid to dine out solo. Whenever I ate alone the servers were really friendly and full of advice.

i had quite a few really lovely and fun lunches on my own in various Sobe spots. Since i was on a budget, lunch was a very reasonable way to treat myself to a little luxury at the higher-end upscale places without breaking the bank. I ate outside, enjoyed the people watching, and REALLY enjoyed flirting with the FOIINE waiters, who of course provided me with wonderful attentive service, lol-!
    Last edited by Catt; 06-14-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Nothing quite like those charming Italian waiters!
    Catt likes this.

One night on my week vacay I decided to eat alone on Ocean, crazy I know, but it turned out the table next to me had another girl eating alone also. We ended up sitting together, hit it off, had a 3 hr meal and drinks and had a blast! So you never know who you'll meet

Jazzid is a pretty cool place. You might want to check out Buck 15, which is also pretty artsy and different from South Beach. Try the bars that Jess mentioned. Abraxas is also a great bar.

I stayed at Jazz hostel in New York once, and they organized groups outings to clubs. I assume that the Jazz Hostel must do the same considering that South Beach is clubland.

Was it Doug or Christy, that wrote an article about crashing hotel pools?

I have visited Miami 4 times in a row. The first 3 times i went by myself. All i had was the number of friend of a friend. This friend was a bouncher at a bar on Washington Ave. He worked almost every night so i had to go out by myself.

I went out almost every night and i have met a lot of crazy/interesting people.
    The bars and lounges are the best options if you are alone.
    I would suggest Nikki Beach, the Florida Room, the Blue bar and the martini bar at the Raleigh.

Unfortunatly there are only fancy pools in South beach to crash.
    The W is my favorite for daytime swimming.
    The Raleigh for nighttime swimming.
    And for the poolpartys the Gansevoort rooftop pool.

Don't worry, you will have a blast in Miami.

I've been to Nikki Beach alone before, it's fun.

Doug crashed the pools and wrote the story.

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/hotel-pools

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast