Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Maria de los Angeles

Thread: Are there thunderstorms every day in Summer?

New User

Default Are there thunderstorms every day in Summer?

17 days till my trip and all I've seen on weather.com is thunder pictures, every single day, for the last month, and into the next two weeks.

I never assumed Miami would be a place to need a rain jacket or umbrella and now I'm worried that my trip will be rained out! (I can only spend so much time in a mall if it's going to rain every day)

So does it really rain every day like that? Big change from my usual trip to Vegas!

Worried.

Hi Catherine,

Sorry to tell you but Miami is definitely a place where you'll need an umbrella or rain jacket in the summer. We have a rainy season and it has started.

However, like most tropical places it only rains a couple of hours a day usually around 3pm. The heat builds up over the Everglades and the heavens open all over the beach. But you'll have plenty of sunshine beforehand and will still get a beautiful tan. Just head to the beach early and you'll be fine.

yes, well -- Vegas is the desert. Miami is *nearly* the same as a tropical island - totally opposite climates..... after heat and humidity builds up all day, you get an afternoon pressure-drop & accompanying downpour.

you don't need to go to the mall, or even go inside when it rains though - if you're already on the beach, as long as there's no lightning, swimming in the sea in the rain is wonderful, or you can enjoy lunch or a cocktail in a beachfront restaurant or pool bar.... by the time you're done eating, the sun will be out again.
    Last edited by Catt; 06-23-2011 at 11:35 AM.

New User

Default Re: Thunderstorms EVERY DAY?

ok this is reassuring. I thought it rained from morning to evening and I wouldn't be able to get a tan!

We are actually in a drought here in South and Central Florida, so the weather has been drier than usual.

When looking at the radar, keep in mind Miami-Dade is so spread out. It could be raining cats & dogs in South Miami but not a drop will be falling on the beach.

I have called friends in Kendall and they tell me it is pouring... and it's sunny where I am. That's Miami for you.

Default Re: Are there thunderstorms every day in Summer?

showers don't last for more than an hour if anything. I think you will have a great vacation.

One of the cool things about Florida is that it can be raining while the sun is shining! The shimmer of light on the raindrops really puts you in a tropical mood.

I just watched a huge thunderstorm through my window, and there was one yesterday, and there will most likely be another tomorrow.

There were waterspouts off of Miami Beach today! My friend took these photo from his downtown apartment.

http://twitpic.com/5g9ehp
    http://twitpic.com/5g9ea7

Be careful with lightning - South Florida is the lightning capital of the nation. Apparently, more men are struck than women: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/wea...,5275390.story
    BLUE21TP21 and rk like this.

Five waterspouts my work friends told me! Cool.

It is POURING right now! I hate riding my bike home in the rain

Catherine -

Ignore the weather report. I have had two consecutive weeks of California visitors and that stupid thunderstorm icon has been on weather.com every single day for the last 2 months. They were all freaking out ahead of time, all depressed, and I was worried and stressed.

How many times has it actually RAINED? maybe three times ... . for a grand total of 15 minutes each time.

Ignore the weather report. Expect it to be partly cloudy about 80% of the day and if it does rain at all, expect it to be very short lived, then more sunshine the next day.

One good way to estimate if it really will rain is to look at the % chance. If it is 60% or higher, then it will probably rain a little. If its stuck at 30% like it almost always is, dont bet on any rain.

First half of the day always seems to be sunny. Only been *ONE* or two days since February that was 100% overcast all day long.

New User

Default Re: Are there thunderstorms every day in Summer?

Thanks for all the input everyone!

You all have become the best trip advisers anywhere. If anyone ever feels like visiting Toronto, Give me a shout!