Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: A cheap decent hotel near the beach

New User

Default A cheap decent hotel near the beach

A friend and I are planning to come to Miami next week between Thur-Sun and looking for a descent hotel but not expensive. We have never been there before and want to be someplace near the popular beaches and clubs. Is it good to have one that has a pool bar or do most people just go to the beach? We plan on going clubbing as well. I assume South beach would be too expensive but maybe some place close by with descent pool?

Default Re: A cheap decent hotel near the beach

You have come to the right place

Check out our hotel search:

http://www.miamibeach411.com/Hotels/hotel-search.htm

New User

is there any you would recommend for less than $140 a night?

rk

Rates tend to be higher on weekends, but I entered your dates at Trivago.com and found the following within or close to your budget.

Harrison
    Shelley
    Clinton
    Clay
    Tropics
    Freehand

I left out some that are unacceptably poor. Some of the above are borderline but probably passable. The Freehand is probably the best though the least convenient location. Don't expect any pool scene, but the beach is walking distance.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Rates tend to be higher on weekends, but I entered your dates at Trivago.com and found the following within or close to your budget.

Harrison
    Shelley
    Clinton
    Clay
    Tropics
    Freehand

I left out some that are unacceptably poor. Some of the above are borderline but probably passable. The Freehand is probably the best though the least convenient location. Don't expect any pool scene, but the beach is walking distance.
    So if you were a single guy where would you stay.. some place farther north that might have a big pool or at one of the places you mentioned above in South beach? Unfortantely we have a budget.

Thanks for the info!

rk

As this is your first visit, I highly recommend staying in south beach. A pool is a lot less important than the beach (actually the Tropics does have a decent pool, as does the Freehand ), and you'll find a whole lot more to do and see in south beach vs farther north.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    As this is your first visit, I highly recommend staying in south beach. A pool is a lot less important than the beach (actually the Tropics does have a decent pool, as does the Freehand ), and you'll find a whole lot more to do and see in south beach vs farther north.
    My friend says he could not book with trivago because he was doing a flight/hotel package and it was more expensive for him to do them separately. He said he booked catalina and beach club with flight package I think on orbitz or bookit. He told me it was in south beach. I told him several times that not all places are actually in south beach even though it might say that. Do you know anything about this hotel. Is it too far? I wonder if he can change the hotel.

thanks,
    Cameron

rk

Yes, Catalina is in south beach, a decent mid-range hotel in an excellent location close to everything and a block from the beach, and they have a pool. No need to change anything, I am sure you'll have a blast.

Catalina's good, they even have an open bar for guests every night from 7-8 and a rooftop pool with a bar.

Now, before you go jumping fr joy, the scene there is a little on the ghetto side. So while it's not a bad place to stay at all, I wouldn't plan on spending much time at the pool party or in the hotel lobby. Maxine's, the restaurant there, is open 24 hours. Good food, some of the worst service in Miami. Fung Ku Sushi is actually very underrated. I actually shot this article there...

http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nati...-hotel-s-staff

Also, rk, no "pool scene" at the Freehand? Are you INSANE? Have you even BEEN there? That's home of the Broken Shaker, probably the best outdoor drinking spot in all of Miami. Possibly the best drinks in town, ping pong, bocce ball, banyan trees, great food, and, yes, a pool. It's might actually be the BEST pool scene in Miami if you're not looking for girls in bikinis and high heels.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    ....It's might actually be the BEST pool scene in Miami if you're not looking for girls in bikinis and high heels.
    Exactly.

New User

Thanks rk and Matt for the info. We did stay at the Catalina 8/7-8/10 and the staff at the front counter were great and it was a good place to stay. Perfect location. They had promotions to the major clubs each night. Matt, yes the service at the restaurant in Maxine was very poor and very expensive. I did eat at the Sushi place in one of the other buildings which was good but it didn't seem to have any business. Not sure how they keep it open. The room in Maxine wasn't much. It was cramped and and seemed very old. But it is a beach hotel and I doubt many people tend to spend much time in the room anyway. All in all it was a really good place with a lot of potential. The pools were nice and the roof top pool looked like it could have a great party atmosphere but there weren't too many people. I stayed my last night, Sun, at the Freehand. It was nice for a hostel. Though, it was too far from central South beach area.
    It was a great trip. Would like to go back.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Thanks for the report. Yeah, Catalina isn't a luxuryt hotel, but it's more about having a decent place to stay that's close to stuff.

I think the revenue from everything else supports Fung Ku. The restaurants are all owned by the hotel so even if that loses money it doesn't really matter if the hotel's busy. How'd you like the sushi there?

How is Viscay hotel? I just booked 2 nights there.

Never heard of it. Anyone been there?

rk

Viscay is on Collins, at 10 Street. The former Troy apartment-hotel, it is an art deco building of some significance. It's a very small property, two stories and about 20 rooms. About average for the area. You can be happy there if you expect nothing more than a basic but well run place, no amenities other than the great location and proximity to beach.

Thank you! I found it for 200 for 2 nights. And it was in a great location. BUT, I wonder if it is ok with a baby.

Any other suggestions?

I would love something that has parking, a pool, near the beach, that will accomodate a couple and a baby. We don't need fancy, but safe and clean is important.

There's a garage on 13th and Collins that's not too far. It's $20 a day and you don't get to leave and come back (I don't think) but it's about your best bet there.

I decided not to stay there and will be staying in a condo rental through Air bnb. Hope it works out, he had great reviews. And for 3 nights it was 550 with a view and balcony.

Jeez, 3 nights for $550? These people are making a killing!

I need to start renting my place out. Seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast