Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Mario
  • 1 Post By Jess

Thread: First time South Beach - seeking romance and quiet

Default First time South Beach - seeking romance and quiet

I am taking my bf on a mystery trip for his b day to MIA. I seek amazing, near beach, romantic and quiet sleeps. I don't want to be at a hotel with a hugely young singles crazy scene. I love boutique hotels.

Have stayed at the Viceroy in Anguilla but it seems Brickell is far from what we want to do so looking at Metropolitan Como, Delano and Z ..so many choices. Am I missing an alternative? 200-300 a night is doable. Thanks

Default Re: First time South Beach - seeking romance and quiet

The Standard Hotel - In the price range, great amenities, amazing pool on the bay but not walkable to the beach (short cab ride or 10 minute bicycle ride). You can lay topless, get spa treatments on the deck, get a room with a bathtub on your front patio, etc.

Delano is upscale, but does have a singles scene. Loews is huge so you'll have the families.

Mondrian is a good Standard comparable but lately i've noticed a lot of families and less singles at the gorgeous pool. Its romantic as well and they have a nice spa and good gym area. Still about 1 Mile walk to the ocean though...

none of the ocean drive hotels except maybe the Tides (not as romantic as the others though but its on ocean drive and you might even get an ocean view room).

Otherwise, Fontainbleau has everything. Huge place, the best restaurants and nightclub in Miami, good service, great pools, on the ocean, mix crowd of singles, young, old, families, wealthy, etc.

Thoughts on Metropolitan Como or Z?

oh we have dinner res at Bazarre and brunch at Michael's Genuine Food so walkable to either or both is a plus..but cab is ok too..

Michael's Genuine is in Miami near Midtown, not on the beach...no hotels around there either
    Jess likes this.

I would stay at the Delano. Their lobby is fantastic. So is the pool area. Mondrian and Standard aren't near anything and it's a cab to the beach. Delano you are on the sand. Plus it's very romantic!

Metropolitan by Como is great. I mean GREAT. If you've ever stayed at a Como property you know it's always very nice, very secluded (as much as you can be in a city) and not a big party scene. They've got a nice pool and a good restuarant and a cool gin bar in the hotel. The spa is nice too, though small. Has a good boutique feel and might be what you're looking for.

Michael's is far and terribly overrated. Seriously if you want brunch there's 15 good ones I can mention on the Beach that aren't too far from Metropolitan. Yardbird would be my first recommendation. Tongue and Cheek is great. Setai right down the street, also great.

Bazaar is good but crazy expensive if you want to leave full. Just keep that in mind.

I agree, I never really saw the appeal of Michaels.

Ah, Michaels Genuine, pay $40 for a small piece of lamb, albeit delicious, but leave starving.
    Jess likes this.

I appreciate the comments. Will likely book Metro Como but love the feel and look of Setai. I am still stuck on Standard but am NOT impressed with their res agents. The confusing aspect is so many different pricing options.

As far as dining, Yardbird keeps cropping up but Setai looks nice. The only issue is, we don't fancy jazz.

Much appreciation

The Standard is a spa hotel, so if you aren't looking for a treatments and a relaxing time away from it all, I wouldn't choose them. Plus its a walk or cab ride to everything as it's on the far West side of South Beach.

Yardbird is going to be better than Setai. Better crowd, slightly better food, less expensive. I'm not a huge fan of Southern food, but if that's a cuisine you can stomach that's the preferable option.

The Setai is a very quiet, rich, upscale hotel. Yardbird is a loud, fun, hip local and tourist restaurant with great food and atmosphere. It's hard to compare the two.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.