Eons ago, I found myself in Miami for the CLIO Awards. It was suppose to be a nice four day get-a-way. In that interim, I got invited by folks from another agency to hit up Sanibel. Why not.

These guys got a full phase at Sanibel Cottages rented out. That's four 2br units. I got the pull-out.

I immediately fell in love with the island. So when I moved to Florida, it has become an annual ritual. The most recent visit days ago, back at Sanibel Cottages before the rates sky rocketed the following week.

Name:  san.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  40.6 KB

Sanibel is not cheap, but if you head there with a group, rooms accommodate six, you talking about $63 per head per night. Well worth it. The units are nearly 1400 sq ft. two br condos. All with ocean view. My favorite feature was the enormous balcony. The section with direct access from the living room is screened in with a table for four. he open air section of the balcony has direct from the master br.

Name:  bal2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  99.1 KBName:  balcony.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  110.6 KB

The kitchen come fully equipped and the living room is ample.

Name:  live room.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  68.8 KB

The cottages are located in Middle Gulf, which is considered the most desirable. I personally before the Lighthouse area.

Anyways ... we did absolutely nothing and rested. The island does have good choices to have a meal. Island Cow and Jacaranda our favorites. Sad to learn Ellington's is no more. It was the best Jazz Club I've come across in FL. Dave Drubek was a regular and I assume Michael Franks was when he had his Winter cottage.

The most popular place to visit on Sanibel is Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, one of the most important birding sites in North America. We laid off this visit as well as the other quaint barrier island, Captiva.

We just beached and did some shelling. Because Sanibel lays broadside E to W, the northern currents make this one of the best places to do shelling. On a previous visit, I hauled 800 lbs of shell matter back home. Only did about 300 lbs for my perpetual home landscape project.

Name:  mom shell.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  mom shell2.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  25.7 KB

In the end, it's one of the most relaxing places to visit in Fl. You feel that disconnect once you cross the causeway.

Already thinking about a Summer stay. Chill never gets boring.

Name:  chill.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  26.0 KB

See you soon, My Sanibel.