Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By elchevere
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: New Edition Hotel

Default New Edition Hotel

Cool spot. Did not check out rooms of which there are standard rooms and bungalows.

Very nice grounds . White marble throughout the lobby and pillar beams with salsa music playing throughout the day--feels as though I am in Havana.

Unique to the property is the on premise bowling alley and ice skating rink ( maybe they are trying to go a little Dubai on us). A couple of Jean George's restos including a full service one called Matador with a Latin flair--great tacos and tuna tartare....more of a casual resto with multiple things going on called Market. Reminds me of a mini mini Eataly...charcuterie, pastries, coffee bar, seafood station, pizza oven, etc.

The pool grounds are gorgeous--lovely landscaped grounds, nice resto and bar areas surrounding the pool. Call it the perfect compromise between SoBe ( for those who want to be away from the scene) and Fontainbleau ( for those who wAnt amenities but not a mega resort).
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-21-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    rk likes this.

Default Re: New Edition Hotel

How cool! Where is this place?

29th and Collins....the old Seville Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    How cool! Where is this place?

This hotel is transforming the area. A few years ago, it was really dingy rental buildings around with 1-2 decent hotels.

Then Marriott & Ian Schraeger got together and made this happen. At first, they were going to re-do the Sobe Marriott on 2nd street but the owners decided to get this ocean front land.

The bowling alley and ice skating rink is completely over the top, but what can you do when your neighbors are Fontainebleau & Delano/Loews....

The one in Hawaii didn't pan out the way they wanted it. Owners didn't like how Marriott was running it so they cancelled the contract, had police & security come in at midnight on a Sunday and basically did a Jerry Maguire to the staff.."Who's Coming With Me?" Pretty crazy story..

I had originally planned to transfer to the Edition when I was still with Marriott in 2012 and they broke ground, but thankfully I got my RE License at the beginning of a housing boom and now its blossoming

Now the FAENA complex is coming in a few blocks away and will be just as spectacular!
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Agreed about Faena...stunningly beautiful and a stunning sticker price to boot.

One other hotel in the area is the new Thompson...did not walk the grounds but looking from the boardwalk, very tacky and strange choice of colors (lime green) for the pool furniture/pool area....definitely a step down in class and style from the Edition--at least from the casual observance on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    This hotel is transforming the area. A few years ago, it was really dingy rental buildings around with 1-2 decent hotels.

Then Marriott & Ian Schraeger got together and made this happen. At first, they were going to re-do the Sobe Marriott on 2nd street but the owners decided to get this ocean front land.

The bowling alley and ice skating rink is completely over the top, but what can you do when your neighbors are Fontainebleau & Delano/Loews....

The one in Hawaii didn't pan out the way they wanted it. Owners didn't like how Marriott was running it so they cancelled the contract, had police & security come in at midnight on a Sunday and basically did a Jerry Maguire to the staff.."Who's Coming With Me?" Pretty crazy story..

I had originally planned to transfer to the Edition when I was still with Marriott in 2012 and they broke ground, but thankfully I got my RE License at the beginning of a housing boom and now its blossoming

Now the FAENA complex is coming in a few blocks away and will be just as spectacular!

29th is near Broken Shaker. I will check it out.

What at a story Marc!

I saw the subject line here and thought they had Ralph Tresvant playing the main room every day with weekend performances from Bobby Brown and Bell Biv DeVoe. Imagine my disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Agreed about Faena...stunningly beautiful and a stunning sticker price to boot.

One other hotel in the area is the new Thompson...did not walk the grounds but looking from the boardwalk, very tacky and strange choice of colors (lime green) for the pool furniture/pool area....definitely a step down in class and style from the Edition--at least from the casual observance on the outside.
    I relocated the GM of that hotel..he's a nice guy.

HR Director tried to get me to come back to the biz and run one of the restaurants...I declined of course :-)

Didn't Michelle Bernstein or someone open a restaurant in the Thompson?

A lot going on in that area..I Tried to tell buyers to grab condos in the area 2 years ago and how the Edition would transform the area but only 1 client believed me! Their loss..

Good for you! Their loss. There's no room left in SoBe, Mid Beach is where its at now for building.

They are selling residences at the Edition....1 BR, 1.5 BA only $2.29M per email I just got..I may have to buy 7 at that price--talking pesos, right?

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    They are selling residences at the Edition....1 BR, 1.5 BA only $2.29M per email I just got..I may have to buy 7 at that price--talking pesos, right?
    Most expensive condo ever sold in Miami was to a Russian Billionaire who bought two penthouses there and combined them. Over $40ML...imagine the HOA fees!

Well when you're a Russian billionaire HOA fees, notsomuch a thing

Here's my look at the Edition.....

http://www.thrillist.com/entertainme...-edition-hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Always love the Anti-Miami sarcasm :-) Nobody does it better!

On a sad note, I saw a link to Primo Hoagies Philly Subs next to your Edition Article. They went under pretty quick and I remember telling them, no parking & outdoor seating and no Philly cheesesteaks would lead to an early demise :-(

Yeah I was sad to see them go. They were really nice people and the sandwiches were great, but you are right on all accounts there. Also, that location was a little set off the street. And no cheesesteaks? Really?

Anyway, thanks for the compliments, Marc!