Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By elchevere
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: New Edition Hotel

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    601
    Likes Received
    75

    Default New Edition Hotel

    Cool spot. Did not check out rooms of which there are standard rooms and bungalows.

    Very nice grounds . White marble throughout the lobby and pillar beams with salsa music playing throughout the day--feels as though I am in Havana.

    Unique to the property is the on premise bowling alley and ice skating rink ( maybe they are trying to go a little Dubai on us). A couple of Jean George's restos including a full service one called Matador with a Latin flair--great tacos and tuna tartare....more of a casual resto with multiple things going on called Market. Reminds me of a mini mini Eataly...charcuterie, pastries, coffee bar, seafood station, pizza oven, etc.

    The pool grounds are gorgeous--lovely landscaped grounds, nice resto and bar areas surrounding the pool. Call it the perfect compromise between SoBe ( for those who want to be away from the scene) and Fontainbleau ( for those who wAnt amenities but not a mega resort).
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-21-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    rk likes this.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    How cool! Where is this place?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    601
    Likes Received
    75

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    29th and Collins....the old Seville Hotel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    How cool! Where is this place?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Marc Middleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Miami
    Posts
    1,310
    Likes Received
    389

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    This hotel is transforming the area. A few years ago, it was really dingy rental buildings around with 1-2 decent hotels.

    Then Marriott & Ian Schraeger got together and made this happen. At first, they were going to re-do the Sobe Marriott on 2nd street but the owners decided to get this ocean front land.

    The bowling alley and ice skating rink is completely over the top, but what can you do when your neighbors are Fontainebleau & Delano/Loews....

    The one in Hawaii didn't pan out the way they wanted it. Owners didn't like how Marriott was running it so they cancelled the contract, had police & security come in at midnight on a Sunday and basically did a Jerry Maguire to the staff.."Who's Coming With Me?" Pretty crazy story..

    I had originally planned to transfer to the Edition when I was still with Marriott in 2012 and they broke ground, but thankfully I got my RE License at the beginning of a housing boom and now its blossoming

    Now the FAENA complex is coming in a few blocks away and will be just as spectacular!
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    601
    Likes Received
    75

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    Agreed about Faena...stunningly beautiful and a stunning sticker price to boot.

    One other hotel in the area is the new Thompson...did not walk the grounds but looking from the boardwalk, very tacky and strange choice of colors (lime green) for the pool furniture/pool area....definitely a step down in class and style from the Edition--at least from the casual observance on the outside.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    This hotel is transforming the area. A few years ago, it was really dingy rental buildings around with 1-2 decent hotels.

    Then Marriott & Ian Schraeger got together and made this happen. At first, they were going to re-do the Sobe Marriott on 2nd street but the owners decided to get this ocean front land.

    The bowling alley and ice skating rink is completely over the top, but what can you do when your neighbors are Fontainebleau & Delano/Loews....

    The one in Hawaii didn't pan out the way they wanted it. Owners didn't like how Marriott was running it so they cancelled the contract, had police & security come in at midnight on a Sunday and basically did a Jerry Maguire to the staff.."Who's Coming With Me?" Pretty crazy story..

    I had originally planned to transfer to the Edition when I was still with Marriott in 2012 and they broke ground, but thankfully I got my RE License at the beginning of a housing boom and now its blossoming

    Now the FAENA complex is coming in a few blocks away and will be just as spectacular!

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    29th is near Broken Shaker. I will check it out.

    What at a story Marc!

  7. #7
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    I saw the subject line here and thought they had Ralph Tresvant playing the main room every day with weekend performances from Bobby Brown and Bell Biv DeVoe. Imagine my disappointment.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Marc Middleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Miami
    Posts
    1,310
    Likes Received
    389

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Agreed about Faena...stunningly beautiful and a stunning sticker price to boot.

    One other hotel in the area is the new Thompson...did not walk the grounds but looking from the boardwalk, very tacky and strange choice of colors (lime green) for the pool furniture/pool area....definitely a step down in class and style from the Edition--at least from the casual observance on the outside.
    I relocated the GM of that hotel..he's a nice guy.

    HR Director tried to get me to come back to the biz and run one of the restaurants...I declined of course :-)

    Didn't Michelle Bernstein or someone open a restaurant in the Thompson?

    A lot going on in that area..I Tried to tell buyers to grab condos in the area 2 years ago and how the Edition would transform the area but only 1 client believed me! Their loss..

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    Good for you! Their loss. There's no room left in SoBe, Mid Beach is where its at now for building.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    601
    Likes Received
    75

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    They are selling residences at the Edition....1 BR, 1.5 BA only $2.29M per email I just got..I may have to buy 7 at that price--talking pesos, right?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Marc Middleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Miami
    Posts
    1,310
    Likes Received
    389

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    They are selling residences at the Edition....1 BR, 1.5 BA only $2.29M per email I just got..I may have to buy 7 at that price--talking pesos, right?
    Most expensive condo ever sold in Miami was to a Russian Billionaire who bought two penthouses there and combined them. Over $40ML...imagine the HOA fees!

  12. #12
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    Well when you're a Russian billionaire HOA fees, notsomuch a thing

  13. #13
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    Here's my look at the Edition.....

    http://www.thrillist.com/entertainme...-edition-hotel

  14. #14
    Senior Member Marc Middleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Miami
    Posts
    1,310
    Likes Received
    389

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Always love the Anti-Miami sarcasm :-) Nobody does it better!

    On a sad note, I saw a link to Primo Hoagies Philly Subs next to your Edition Article. They went under pretty quick and I remember telling them, no parking & outdoor seating and no Philly cheesesteaks would lead to an early demise :-(

  15. #15
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default Re: New Edition Hotel

    Yeah I was sad to see them go. They were really nice people and the sandwiches were great, but you are right on all accounts there. Also, that location was a little set off the street. And no cheesesteaks? Really?

    Anyway, thanks for the compliments, Marc!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •