Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes

Thread: Mandarin Oriental II

Default Mandarin Oriental II

A great business model is a rarity in Miami. So when one expands it's wings, though contrary to my distaste of overdevelopment, I might let this one sly.
    After subjecting ourselves to the whims of Swire, we have no complaints. Only gripe is making us take a hammock down from a balcony. I'll continue to be cool with them unless they develop the tract in SE Claughton. I realize it's within their rights and until now, have showed restraint from developing one of the most valuable real estate assets in Miami.

Many of the rumors I've subjected myself to have never been fruitful in Miami. Here's one that I'm trepid on.

http://www.thenextmiami.com/index.ph...d-miami-hotel/

I kind of welcome it if it's true.

Default Re: Mandarin Oriental II

Another one? How weird. We need another one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Another one? How weird. We need another one?
    The City Centre Hotel will open in less than a year. It is not a Mandarin at this time, but anything is possible. It will be a luxury, 6 star hotel from Hong Kong..at least that's the pitch from CityCentre Sales center.

Yes because what Miami was just in desperate need of was more luxury property.

That said, I thought that park on Brickell Key was donated to the city as an actual park. No longer owned by the developer. A rare livability-over-money move for this city. I could be wrong.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    ...That said, I thought that park on Brickell Key was donated to the city as an actual park. No longer owned by the developer. A rare livability-over-money move for this city. I could be wrong.
    The park is still owned by Swire.

Possibly you're thinking of Brickell Park on the mainland (500 block Brickell Ave). That one is owned by the city, on land donated by the Brickell family.

I was so hoping Matt was right. Always went by the assumption reading a sign by the parks' St. Louis entrance. It suggests it exists by courtesy and whims of Swire.

Doesn't matter to me if it's Mandarin Oriental or not as it's already slated hotel space as Marc mentioned. I personally think a Peninsula would be the perfect choice.

Spent a birthday weekend one time at the Beverly Hills location when it was rated as the best hotel in the world.They had no clue it was my birthday unless it was lifted off my ID. Without expecting it , they gifted me a monogramed bath robe
    with birthday wishes. That's superior service one doesn't expect. Miami, are you listening ?

Name:  pen.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  30.8 KB

Their flagship is in Hong Kong. That would make more sense than another MO.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 02-11-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    That's superior service one doesn't expect. Miami, are you listening ?
    When I worked for Marriott, I used my employee rate to book $99 rate at the South Beach Ritz in January. In the comments at hte bottom of my reservation, I wrote it was my birthday.

(Keep in Mind Ritz and Marriott were separate entities but under the same umbrella).

My room had balloons inside with a chilled bottle of wine waiting for me. For my nightly turn down service, they brought me a chocolate cake that said "Happy Birthday Marc" on it.

The Cost for Wine & Cake from Room Service was $89 + tax/tip. So after the balloon cost, they probably made $0 off me and I was an employee of another hotel, not even their own..

That was pretty special and always stayed with me.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    When I worked for Marriott, I used my employee rate to book $99 rate at the South Beach Ritz in January. In the comments at hte bottom of my reservation, I wrote it was my birthday.

(Keep in Mind Ritz and Marriott were separate entities but under the same umbrella).

My room had balloons inside with a chilled bottle of wine waiting for me. For my nightly turn down service, they brought me a chocolate cake that said "Happy Birthday Marc" on it.

The Cost for Wine & Cake from Room Service was $89 + tax/tip. So after the balloon cost, they probably made $0 off me and I was an employee of another hotel, not even their own..

That was pretty special and always stayed with me.
    A detail like that always sticks you. The best marketing tool is showing appreciation for your patronage. We gave examples that I'm sure came at a cost and effort. All we should expect is smile with the service.

I do however abuse the gullibility of certain staffs. Last month I mentioned to the waiter at Columbia ( Ybor city) that it was my cousin's birthday, and the three of has had free flan for desert. . That plot also works at the Cheesecake factory in Coconut Groove. Next time I go, I'll be celebrating my 120th birthday...until they catch on.

As we kind of alluded to, customer service is appreciated by all consumers. Miami in general needs to ramp up.

Wow! Nice touch Marc.

I can't wait to book my honeymoon. I'm hoping for champagne in the room...

Also, a 6 star hotel? Didn't know there was such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Also, a 6 star hotel? Didn't know there was such a thing.
    That's post Dubai I believe for $175USD, Burj Al Arab will allow a peek of premises. Nothing more. That's the equivalent of a private Maro Rubio event at the Delano and you're refused entry. Only time in Miami a security guard told me to get my sushi kicks at Sushi Sambi.... and I think they are out of business based on my last rare Lincoln RD stroll.

New User

That sounds cheap in Dubai.

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy411 View Post
    That sounds cheap in Dubai.
    That's just to walk into the lobby and stick your nose around, not lodging. It's also the only 7 Star hotel I've heard of.

Who invents these star ratings? Don't the AAA/Michelin people cut it off at some point? It's like SPF, you know.

Who invents these star ratings? Don't the AAA/Michelin people cut it off at some point? It's like SPF, you know.
    bil

Star ratings have changed like GPA ratings. In my day, 4.0 was tops, Now we have scores off those old charts. Don't pay much attention to them unless I see diamonds via Mobil or the simple verbiage as, Luxury, 1st class, moderate, etc. If it's a simply under a Relais & Chateaux, I'll bite. Never stayed at one, though I keep their Atlas in my car, First rate publication.

Up here in greater Orlando, the boast is in about an upcoming 7 Star hotel on I-Drive. I'll believe it when I see it. Did see though The Orlando Eye last night. It's not functioning yet, but as big as the London Eye- they say.

As for myself, I'm cool with a Hampton Inn. If Dunkin Donuts is paying for my trip as they have years ago, I'll take XV Beacon over either of the Ritz Carlton's. I'll always side with the quintessential local spot over a brand. San Miguel de Allende solo trip is on tap. $38 a night. Some times going Spartan is more fulfilling. I'll lean more towards a Sultan's tent than a 7 Star Burj Al Arab. The Milky Way looks the same whatever the vantage spot.
    rk likes this.

rk

Well said. Those star ratings are becoming meaningless because they are self-assigned. Along with grades, you see it with weather also, the last two storms have been "super", then "historic", the next one will be "super-duper" probably.

Your comment about the tent and milky way is also apt. There is nothing better than to sleep outside in the desert. I have a lifelong interest in the sky from the times I slept outside as a child. To paraphrase the great Aldo Leopold - The night is only as drab as he who walks in it without a glance skyward....

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Mobile and AAA are marketing companies just like Small Luxury Hotels and Relais and Chateaux. With SLH and R&C hotels and restaurants pay tens of thousands of dollars a year to be included, if you don't pay, you aren't listed in their books. You do have to have a certain standard. I'm not sure with AAA and Mobile but I would imagine, yes with Mobile.

The company makes up its own ratings system just like priceline, hotwire, hotels.com, expedia, etc.

There is no across the board standard.

The Burj Al Arab's marketing department made up its own six or seven star rating and everyone has taken it and run with it.

What most people don't get is that the ratings are about the amenities a hotel offers not how nice it is.

If you have two luxury hotels exactly alike, one offers room service from 6AM to 2AM and the other offers 24 hour rooms service, the hotel with the 24 hour room service will get four stars and the other one 3 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Mobile and AAA are marketing companies just like Small Luxury Hotels and Relais and Chateaux. With SLH and R&C hotels and restaurants pay tens of thousands of dollars a year to be included, if you don't pay, you aren't listed in their books. You do have to have a certain standard. I'm not sure with AAA and Mobile but I would imagine, yes with Mobile.

The company makes up its own ratings system just like priceline, hotwire, hotels.com, expedia, etc.

There is no across the board standard.

The Burj Al Arab's marketing department made up its own six or seven star rating and everyone has taken it and run with it.

What most people don't get is that the ratings are about the amenities a hotel offers not how nice it is.

If you have two luxury hotels exactly alike, one offers room service from 6AM to 2AM and the other offers 24 hour rooms service, the hotel with the 24 hour room service will get four stars and the other one 3 1/2.
    Travel partners in cahoots is usually not a bad thing because that usually results in a discount for the consumer or allotted space at sold out places. On the other hand, a travel agency or service is going to push a product that offers them higher commissions. Net Neutrality debate in Congress might be a similar concern. In my travels arrangements, I only have only met resistance one time. I wanted a particular British Airline flight LAX to LHR. After a little jarring, the AX agent got a manager override to book me BA. I appreciated the fact the agent was coy with me that AX and BA and shared both are embroiled in a major lawsuit. I gave a listen to his Air New Zealand pitch which was $300 cheaper and more than paid for my British Midland connection to Dublin. This was in the era of "left baggage" and my 13 hr stop overs in London on the way back. I opted for Air New Zealand on three other occasions. And years afterwards I noted the Queen flew NZ commercial to LAX over BA.