Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Old Motel Photos and Postcards - Sunny Isles

3bean:
    Yes indeed, I do remember the Hawaiian Isle. We used to refer to it as Pink Eyes, Green Eyes. Seemed the tiki eyes changed colors on different visits to Miami Beach. Some other Sunny Isles/Motel Row lodgings I remember. Roughly going South to North:

Aztec
    Ocean Palm
    Olympia (weird light bulb neon icons place looked like a dump)
    Castaways
    Newport (1968 and newer)
    Green Huron (remember it looking spooky circa 1966!)
    Argosy (Another dump)
    Driftwood
    Dunes (chariot and Roman neon sign)
    Desert Inn (across from the dearly departed Rascal House)
    Monaco (still hanging on)
    Sun City (looked like it once was a Holiday Inn and featured porthole windows looking into it's pool's deep end)
    Heathwood
    Pan American (restricted)
    Hawaiian Isle
    Ancient looking Holiday Inn (old style motel)
    my favorite: Colonial Inn and it's annex which was originally the Bon Aire
    The Suez
    The Sahara (restricted)
    The Blue Grass
    Beachcomber (hallways were creepy with dougnnut hall lights and names on the doors) Me, my sister and cousin thought the place looked like a mausoleam by the sea Dark Shadows was in it's prime on TV)
    Thunderbird (now my favorite and still hanging on)
    Golden Nugget (still open but a true dump)
    "Lifter's Waikiki" another dump
    The Chateau (a blight on the beach)
    Marco Polo (Now affiliated with Ramada originally opened as a "Hyatt House-before Hyatt Regency" Then became "Lifter's Marco Polo and took a nose dive" The Marco Polo redeemed itself when the Lifter's name was dropped. They fixed up the hotel though not renovating it.
    The Sheraton (took up both sides of Collins Ave. suffered a catastrophic fire in the late 1970's)

End Sunny Isles and begin "Golden Beach"

I may have forgotten other motels but I feel I covered most of them. Regarding dump status, the properties mentioned were noticeably decrepit compared to the majority of the Sunny Isles motels. This was during motel rows zenith during the middle 1960's to the very early 1970's.

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Sun...C10390182.jpeg
    CatBird likes this.

Folks this is not me but here's a link to someone's home movies starring the Hawaiian Isle Motel in Sunny Isles complete with hula girls and cheesey music. (LOL)

http://web.mac.com/jtbcmac/MaiTai/HawaiianIsle.html

This must be a leftover from the early days of the Internet! Here's a list of old hotels/motels in Miami Beach and Sunny Isle from back in the day.

MIAMI BEACH
    Colonial Inn Resort Motel
    18101 Collins Ave.
    Miami Beach, Florida 33160
    305/932-1212, Tx: 4992854, Fax: 305/933-2661 AE MC VS CB

Doral Oceanside Beach Resort
    4833 Collins Ave.
    Miami Beach, Florida 33140
    305/532-3600, 800/22-DORAL, Fax: 305/532-2334

Eden Roc Resort & Spa
    4525 Collins Ave.
    305/531-0000, 800/327-8337, Fax: 305/531-6955

The Fontainbleau Hilton Resort and Towers
    4441 Collins Ave.
    305/538-2000, 800/HILTONS, Tx: 519362 AE MC VS

Hawaiian Isle Beach Resort
    17601 Collins Ave.
    305/932-2121, Fax: 305/935-3874 AE MC VS CB

Holiday Inn Newport Pier Resort
    16701 Collins Ave.
    Miami Beach, Florida 33160, 305/949-1300, 800/327-5476, 800-HOLIDAY

Miami Beach Ocean Resort
    3025 Collins Ave.
    305/534-0505, Fax: 305/534-0515 AE MC VS DC

Quality Shawnee Beach Resort
    4343 Collins Ave.
    305/532-3311 800-832-8332, 800/228-5151

R I U Pan American Ocean Resort
    17875 Collins Ave.
    305/932-1100, 800/327-5678, Fax: 305/935-2769

Sun City Resort Motel
    17375 Collins Ave.
    305/947-6511, Fax: 305/956-7708 AE MC VS

Catalina Resort
    1732 Collins Ave.
    Miami Beach, Florida 33139
    305/531-4915, Fax: 305/674-0874 AE MC VS CB

Di Lido Beach Resort
    155 Lincoln Rd.
    Miami Beach,Florida 33139
    305/538-0811, 800/327-6105

Sagamore Resort
    1671 Collins Ave.
    Miami Beach, Florida 33139
    305/538-7211, 800-648-6068, Fax: 305/674-0371 AE MC VS DC

Shelborne Beach Resort
    1801 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, Florida 33139
    305/531-1271, 800/327-8757, Fax: 305/531-2206

Wyndham Miami Beach Resort
    4833 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
    305/532-3600, Fax: 305/538-2807

SUNNY ISLES
    The Sea Breeze Resort Hotel
    16151 Collins Ave.
    Sunny Isles, Florida 33160
    305/940-6600, Fax: 305/945-3958 AE MC VS DS

New User

Hi Shelly,

Just came across this topic in doing a Google search on Motel Row. My parents spent their honeymoon at the Castaways in 1953. My mother has been in love with Florida ever since. My first visit was a stay at the brand new Chateau in 1960. We went again in '61, '69 '70 and '71. Staying at the Chateau, a one nite stay at the horrible Beachcomber and equally horrible nite at the Waikiki (1970). We ended up at the Chateau every time. On one of our trips we met neighbors down there. I have many great memories of walking up and down the beach jumping in and out of every motels' pool with my sister and the neighbor's kids. It took a great part of the day and was great fun. It took almost 3 full days to drive down there from New York at that time, 95 wasn't finished then, I remember going through a lot of back road swamps. The Chateau was really nice, we had a kitchenette the first time we stayed, we then graduated to a room facing the pool with a balcony the last few times we were there. I remember they had a large console color TV in the lobby, this was in 1960 and that was quite a big deal then! There was a talking Mina Bird in the gift shop and a small pool filled with koi. There was a White Castle across the street. My father would pick up a whole sack of 5 cent hamburgers for around a dollar. What a treat that was!! Does anyone remember the large open penny arcades that operators would set up across the street on the west side of Collins Avenue? Hundreds of old pinball, arcade and skeeball machines were set up under large tents. All costing 10 cents a game!! (Circa 1969).

We usually went around Easter time which was spring break time for a lot of colleges. I remember a lot of neat old souped 1940s cars that these kids owned parked in the various motels parking lots. We used to go to Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor a lot Wolfie's and the Rascal House. It was great fun and a much simpler time that I wish I could go back to once in a while. I just picked up the book, "From Sandbar to Sophistication" The Story of Sunny Isles. I highly recommend it. There are a lot of great pictures and back stories on the motels and Sunny Isles. I don't remember much about the Colonial Inn. We used to drive and walk by it and I seem to remember getting chased off one of the horses in the front. I know how you feel about the whole deal being torn down. I visited the Chateau back in 1989 with my wife on a drive down to Key West. It had gone way down hill from my last visit in 1971. The large console color TV was still in the lobby along with the orignal 1950's furniture (the TV tube was gone,replaced by a large flowering plant!) I tried to explain to my wife what it was like then. She didn't quite have the imagination to picture it in its glory days. I used to check on it on the web once in a while. It's still listed on alot of Hotel/Motel booking websites for the area. I did a Google map street view search on it just this evening and I was surprised to see that it no longer exists. There is an access to the beach and a large highrise where it once stood. On further research I found out it was torn down in 1999 by Mr. Dezer.

Thanks for posting the pictures!! They brought back a lot of good memories and a good cry!

Take care!

New User

Hey everybody... thanks to the original poster's links to the postcards, I have pinpointed one source of one of the photographs that were used in the CD booklet of REM's 1992's Automatic for the People album. The sign of the old Bonaire Hotel is used in the inside booklet. I'll try to post a pic as soon as I can find one or scan the one I have.

The question I have is where was the 'star' ornament on the cover of the album taken from?

You will notice some abstracted elements from the Bonaire sign in the background of the above photo. The star part on the cover is said to be (have been) part of a sign on a motel somewhere in the Miami area and all of these were taken during the album sessions which were recorded in Criteria Studios in Miami, and all were taken around 1991. I'm thinking it's most likely it will be somewhere on the old motel row.

Anybody know? I thought it might also be part of the Bonaire, but wasn't immediately recognizable in the photos / postcards I looked in above. I've always been curious to see it in context.

Thanks for any info.

New User

Here's the additonal photos from the CD Insert:

This photo is the one with the Bon Aire Sign as the background plate for the album credits

This shows the band walking along what appears to be a motel, but I could be wrong.

Fazool, thank you for sharing your memories here!

Robbman - I found a photo of the Bonaire Motel on Flickr.

No idea about the ornament or the other location, though it definitely looks like a motel with drive-up rooms.

Thanks for sharing!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Fazool, thank you for sharing your memories here!

Robbman - I found a photo of the Bonaire Motel on Flickr.

No idea about the ornament or the other location, though it definitely looks like a motel with drive-up rooms.

Thanks for sharing!
    No problem. For those of you who are motel row officinados, but not aware of this CD, it's kind of cool for you to see that the band chose to include some of that history on their album art.

Hopefully someone here can enlighten us further with some knowledge of the above..

Thanks Maria!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Robbman

The question I have is where was the 'star' ornament on the cover of the album taken from?

You will notice some abstracted elements from the Bonaire sign in the background of the above photo. The star part on the cover is said to be (have been) part of a sign on a motel somewhere in the Miami area and all of these were taken during the album sessions which were recorded in Criteria Studios in Miami, and all were taken around 1991. I'm thinking it's most likely it will be somewhere on the old motel row.

Anybody know? I thought it might also be part of the Bonaire, but wasn't immediately recognizable in the photos / postcards I looked in above. I've always been curious to see it in context.

Thanks for any info.
    Here is another angle of the sign... taken from the special edition of the Automatic for the People album.

This might make it a little easier to recognize.

So, does anyone recognize it?

Quote Originally Posted by fazool
    Hi Shelly,

Just came across this topic in doing a Google search on Motel Row. My parents spent their honeymoon at the Castaways in 1953. My mother has been in love with Florida ever since. My first visit was a stay at the brand new Chateau in 1960. We went again in '61, '69 '70 and '71. Staying at the Chateau, a one nite stay at the horrible Beachcomber and equally horrible nite at the Waikiki (1970). We ended up at the Chateau every time. On one of our trips we met neighbors down there. I have many great memories of walking up and down the beach jumping in and out of every motels' pool with my sister and the neighbor's kids. It took a great part of the day and was great fun. It took almost 3 full days to drive down there from New York at that time, 95 wasn't finished then, I remember going through a lot of back road swamps. The Chateau was really nice, we had a kitchenette the first time we stayed, we then graduated to a room facing the pool with a balcony the last few times we were there. I remember they had a large console color TV in the lobby, this was in 1960 and that was quite a big deal then! There was a talking Mina Bird in the gift shop and a small pool filled with koi. There was a White Castle across the street. My father would pick up a whole sack of 5 cent hamburgers for around a dollar. What a treat that was!! Does anyone remember the large open penny arcades that operators would set up across the street on the west side of Collins Avenue? Hundreds of old pinball, arcade and skeeball machines were set up under large tents. All costing 10 cents a game!! (Circa 1969).

We usually went around Easter time which was spring break time for a lot of colleges. I remember a lot of neat old souped 1940s cars that these kids owned parked in the various motels parking lots. We used to go to Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor a lot Wolfie's and the Rascal House. It was great fun and a much simpler time that I wish I could go back to once in a while. I just picked up the book, "From Sandbar to Sophistication" The Story of Sunny Isles. I highly recommend it. There are a lot of great pictures and back stories on the motels and Sunny Isles. I don't remember much about the Colonial Inn. We used to drive and walk by it and I seem to remember getting chased off one of the horses in the front. I know how you feel about the whole deal being torn down. I visited the Chateau back in 1989 with my wife on a drive down to Key West. It had gone way down hill from my last visit in 1971. The large console color TV was still in the lobby along with the orignal 1950's furniture (the TV tube was gone,replaced by a large flowering plant!) I tried to explain to my wife what it was like then. She didn't quite have the imagination to picture it in its glory days. I used to check on it on the web once in a while. It's still listed on alot of Hotel/Motel booking websites for the area. I did a Google map street view search on it just this evening and I was surprised to see that it no longer exists. There is an access to the beach and a large highrise where it once stood. On further research I found out it was torn down in 1999 by Mr. Dezer.

Thanks for posting the pictures!! They brought back a lot of good memories and a good cry!

Take care!
    My parents spent their honeymoon at the Castaways in 1955! A small world after all. Regarding the Chateau motel. That place looked more like it was built in 1940 instead of 1960. And I remember it from 1970 when we stayed at the Marco Polo. I can't believe the Chateau was ever that nice looking but I'm glad you had fond memories. Regarding old color TV sets; The Thun also had a color TV console back in the day in their upper lobby. This area still exists but has been shrunken down as parts of this area was sub divided into offices for the Dezer sales and Virgin travel offices. Obviously that old Color TV is gone like Jackie Gleason, The Rascal House and a Federal government that is by the people and for the people. As I wrote in other threads, the Beachcomber looked like the Bates Motel and the Waikiki looked like a dump built in the 1940s. Go Figure.

http://www.sibfl.net/news_archive/02.../Waikiki-1.jpg
    http://www.sibfl.net/news_archive/02...Aware/Pool.jpg
    http://www.sibfl.net/news_archive/02...Varadero-1.jpg
    http://www.sibfl.net/news_archive/02...Varadero-2.jpg

http://images.travelnow.com/hotels/MIA_THUN-exter-1.jpg
    http://www.earlytelevision.org/images/rca_ctc-7.jpg
    http://www.earlytelevision.org/images/rca_ctc-9.jpg
    http://www.earlytelevision.org/images/rca-21CT55.jpg
    http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowln...acock_cuts.jpg
    Here are some oldie but goodie vintage color TV Consoles like the Chateau and the Thun had in their lobbies during the good old days.

New User

Ok.. I've found the source of my questions above.. and as it turns out.. REM's album cover star from a Motel is originally from the Sinbad Motel on Biscayne in Miami proper.. not Sunny Isles. I found this photo:

You can make out the tops of the 'Sinb' from the side of the Motel. Now, the Motel is still there and the slanted support for the star is in place, but the star is no longer. The inclusion of the Bon Aire Sign in REM's album packaging seemed to make it logical that the star was part of Motel Row in Sunny Isles... but it's on Biscayne Blvd. Thanks everybody for your help in satisfying my curiosity.

So.. I also found another motel they used.. anybody seen this motel before?

That's great! Thanks for following up on the REM info. I can't identify the other hotel, but I'll keep my eyes peeled when I'm in either area (Sunny Isles or Biscayne Blvd).

(On a side note, for Gus: is there anyway for to limit pixel widths automatically on uploads? One of the photos in this thread is too wide and it's throwing off the format, making it hard to follow this thread.)

OOps! Sorry Maria and Gus. Got carried away posting pictures of old time color TV's. You can thank me for that. In the future, I'll keep the pixels down to reasonable parameters.
    http://www.nafts.net/images/Ships%20pics/Misc/oops2.jpg

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

"(On a side note, for Gus: is there anyway for to limit pixel widths automatically on uploads? One of the photos in this thread is too wide and it's throwing off the format, making it hard to follow this thread.)"
    Not when members hotlink the image.

If they upload pictures from their hard drive, I did set the maximum size to 600 pixels wide.

I'll try to keep a closer eye on things.

If anyone experiences anything weird, feel free to contact me by clicking the "Report" link above each post.

No worries, Zippy! Thanks for reducing the size of the images. I love the images you post here. They are classic and funny.

New User

Hi everyone who loved the Colonial Inn. My name is Amy and I am new to this wonderful forum. That place was like a second home to my family. We lived in NY but went to the Colonial on vacation from 1959 - 1967, 1969, 1971. My parents made lifelong friends there and my brother met his first wife there. The entire forum brought a smile and some tears to me. I have wonderful memories of that fabulous place. First of all, the waiter that one of you mentioned pouring the milk from up high was named Herbert and he and his wife Joan were Jewish and from England and they both worked there. Do anyh of you remember the maitre de? His name was Gene. Also, the small, older woman waitress named Ethel who always helped us kids during dinner. I still have those trophies from the swimming contests, ping pong and shuffleboard. Our first year, we stayed in the "north wing" which was the old Bonaire building and we loved that salt water pool too. After our first year, we always stayed on the third floor facing north, rooms 389 and 391. Do you remember the gay activities leader named Alan? He was a great guy. The lifeguards names were Stormy and Dale. Do you remember when they had cookouts by the pool? I still have a Colonial Inn t-shirt from when I was about 6 years old .. and it looks brand new. Bought it right there in the little gift shop next to the first floor elevator. Do you remember Luke Salem, the nightclub host? Also the guy that took your luggage - Speedy?? Wow. I'm remembering all this wonderful stuff. I also watched the landing on the moon from our third floor room on one of those crappy black and white tvs. After my famil and I moved to Florida from NY in 1979, we frequently drove down to Sunny Isles Beach and looked at what was happening to the area. Horrible is all I can say. The last time my brother and I stopped at the Colonial Inn must have been shortly before they tore her down - she was no longer black and white outside but PURPLE!!! It was disgusting. Anyway, I loved that place and she will always have a place in my heart.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, AmyLou, welcome to MiamiBeach411. Thank you for joining our site, and for sharing your Colonial Inn memories with us. You paint such a wonderful picture of the place. It must have been grand.

Do you still live in Florida?

New User

Hi and thank you. Yes, I've been living in Tamarac (west Fort Lauderdale) since 1979.

I also watched the landing on the moon from our third floor room on one of those crappy black and white tvs.
    http://oldfloridapostcards.com/item_img/.sth/25661.jpg
    http://planete.qc.ca/floride/images/...nial-Inn-1.JPG
    http://planete.qc.ca/floride/images/Colonial-Inn-3.JPG
    http://planete.qc.ca/floride/images/Colonial-Inn-5.JPG
    http://planete.qc.ca/floride/images/Colonial-Inn-2.JPG
    Here's a great website featuring Sunny Isle old school motels. But, it's in French! Use Google or Babel Fish to translate!
    http://planete.qc.ca/floride/miamibe...005-96949.html

Guess what Amy Lou? My family was at the Colonial Inn for the July 20, 1969 first moon landing! We watched it in beautiful black and white on Admiral TV set in our room. On that trip we occupied rooms 240 and 242. Room 240 was one of the Colonial Inn's famous Pep-to Bismol pink rooms. And we watched the moon landing in the aqua marine green room with kitchen room 242. My parents actually have a snapshot of that TV in that Colonial Inn Room holding up a Miami Herald with the headline "Man Lands On The Moon!" Check out my earlier responses about my family history at the Colonial Inn. By the way, the two times my family stayed at the Colonial Inn we always were in the main building on the two story side facing South. Our view was of the parking lot, Atlantic Ocean to the left and we faced a very dumpy looking Holiday Inn that had a coin operated washer and dryer outside under an awning. The ancient dryer was one of those large rusty looking things with a window and you could see the clothes tumbling when it worked. Half the time we watched hapless folks lose their quarters, maybe dimes back in the 1960's pounding on it. Oh the memories. At night, when me and my sister who is 5 years younger were supposed to be asleep, we'd spy on our parents as they hung out on their balcony drinking and consuming vast quantities of sweet treats from the now defunct Rascal House. My folks especially had a Jones for their cheesecake. I too remember the Weiner roasts. They were usually held on Tuesday nights by the pool complete with coke and Kosher hotdogs. I remember the cheesy 1960's disco-tech music on our first stay in August of 1966. By the way, my cousin's family actually stayed at the Colonial Inn in the Summer of 1964 through hurricane Cleo! Do you remember the color scheme in rooms 389 and 391? Did either room have one of those funky 1950's mini kitchenettes? Remember the ice box looking things in the rooms without kitchens? They looked like a floor model radio from back in the day. Oh what memories. I last saw the Colonial Inn in June of 1995. It was still white on the outside. I guess the purple invasion was around the corner. I was on my honeymoon with my now ex wife. We ate at the Rascal House and I made her walk with me up to the Colonial Inn. It looked the same but it was quiet and dead. There were cheap over-sized fluorescent bulbs in the lobby ceiling lights. My ex wife was freaked out by the whole experience. She had no sense of adventure. Here's a picture of a 1950's fridge. Just saw it in half and you got the model made by Frigidaire that were in the Colonial Inn kitchenettes.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...CK-00021-C.jpg

http://energysavingservices.com/images/stories/cfl1.jpg

http://www.nickmaffei.com/MickeyMaff...olonialInn.jpg
    OK, this was the Colonial Inn of St. Pete Beach owned and operated by the same people that ran our dearly departed Miami Beach hotel. This property (St. Pete Beach) is alive and well as a Travelodge.

an example of the bulbs suspended in the Colonial Inn lobby.

New User

Hi Zippyjet. I don't remember the color schemes of the rooms but on some vacations, we did have the kitchettes and I do remember the "frig." I forgot about the weenie roasts. Do you remember one of the lifeguards - his name was Pat - and he used to dress up like a clown and do stunts off the high diving board, I think during those weenie roasts? Our rooms always faced north, towards the northwing or what was once the Belaire. We could see the ocean from our balcony to the right and the salt water pool. The Colonial's washing machines were downstairs of the northwing, towards the Collins Ave direction. My Dad always use to wash our car there ... our 1956 Pink and Black DeSoto. I see you're from Maryland. My Mom's family used to live in Silver Spring. Remember the bowling alley across the street, next door to Neisers on one side and Juniors on the other? We used to walk south on COllins to around 173rd street where they had miniature golf and some games. I also loved the game room in the Colonial, second floor, next to the kiddie room. I always played the pinball machines and then us teenagers (when I finally was one) sat up in the upstairs lobby or raided the card room down the hallway. Damn, that place was so very special. It's so wonderful to find out I'm not the only one who loved that place. I understand that the horse and carriage is in some park around that area because the historial society saved it. That would be cool to see. My folks used to take pictures of me (with the year in the background) sitting on the carriage. Wonderful memories.
    CatBird likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast