Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Old Motel Photos and Postcards - Sunny Isles

New User

Hi I just joined and I think this is wonderful. I remember Motel Row from the late 80s and early/mid 90s. I'm 26 years old, and the memories of those strange small motels with neon lights and weird statues outside of them have been preserved in my mind for all these years. Throughout these years, I have gone to various of the motels, now torn down, and I enjoyed picturing what would have been there years before. Unfortunately, I saw them in their dying days. I remember eating with my family at the Rascal House every Sunday, and then driving up and down Collins, seeing all these wonderful lights on the motels and restaurants, and the huge Rascal Neon Sign at night...truly magical memories...I miss them. Also, I know Tubby Boots performed at the Dunes for years...I grew up at the Deauville on 67th and Collins, or North Beach, rather. I loved it, and still do. I remember going and taking the dance classes with my grandma, playing shuffleboard, exploring the lobby, lower lobby ,buying Mad Magazine from Silvia, the sundry shop clerk, getting a haircut with Leslie the Barber, anyone remember this stuff?? Also, I would explore the vast empty ballrooms and the old lounges, falling apart, abandoned, the movie theater empty, with the chairs, etc. The Napoleon Ballroom where the Beatles once appeared. We would live in room 830, and we could see the Ocean from the side, with those wonderful windows that opened outward. I remember we'd arrive off the expressway on Alton Road, then go all the way down, pass St. Francis Hospital, go over the now defunct mini overpass, and I would see the magical CASABLANCA hotel sign in the night, the Monte Carlo, the Sherry Frontenac letters brightly shining, and then home, the fabulous Deauville, where the awning would greet us with its shiny bulbs, and the lobby with the wonderful chandelier and dated furniture...It was truly a wonderful time in my life, especially the pool with my grandparents, and the cabanas poolside...I remember the old theatre in the Deauville, I explored it recently, maybe 5 years ago, and the piano was totally ruined, walls cracking...all of that is now a Cuban cafe, and the Arturo Sandoval Jazz Club...I miss the Napoleon Ballroom, and the lounges, and the restaurant, the sundry shop, and the whole lowel lobby...going to the Carillon next door for free seafood oceanside, their pool parties...later in the mid 90's it stood abandoned, but the sign was lit for some reason...its abandoned driveway, and from the new condos next door, I could see into the abandoned lobby/ballrooms/poolside...eerily dead, abandonded for years. I'd watch the birds fly in and out of the top rooms of the Carillon's broken windows...here's a hotel which won outstanding hotel in 1957...also from this condo building called the Sterling, I could see from the sidewalk, the beautiful neon blue and green DEAUVILLE sign, letters vertically set, one on each floor of the building's side...just magical memories...As I explored what was once the beach, I tried to find Belle Barth's Pub on 21st and collins, im a big fan of hers, but it's gone...so is Wolfie's...I drove many times past the Gayety Burlesque strip joint with its statues encrusted into the side, and it's neon lights...and I passed the Seville hotel many times, not knowing it was the Seville until later, but I loved the clock on the hotel's side...does anyone know of Belle Barth? Anyone know what used to be in between the Deauville and Carillon way back? Anyone remember a Mr. Resnick, mainly of the Deauville, but traveled through other hotels too? He was a part owner I think,and was always in a white suit, silver slick back hair, and a coca cola tan...he would give me a quarter every time I answerered his math questions correctly...I miss those days so much...now I don't even go anymore to Sunny Isles, but I still go to the Deauville...when they tore down the Rascal House, it was the end for me...I saw the Dunes go down, the Rascal House, the other small motels, all the bright lights, everything, all my memories now just left in my mind...anyone know what the old abandoned hotel Harding was, right near the Casablanca hotel? And the Lombardy Inn across the street? I miss old Miami Beach...

Hi Deauville Al, welcome and thank you for sharing! That area by the old Harding hotel across from the bridge on 63rd is all condos now. Allison Island is also another high-end development. Every inch of land taken up by condos!

I don't remember Belle Barth's Pub at all.

When was the last time you were on Miami Beach?

New User

Hi there,
    Last time I was in Miami Beach was about 2 weeks ago. I go there every couple of weeks to pick up my grandma's mail at the Sterling. My grandfather passed away 3 years ago, and so she doesn't live there much anymore, just gets her mail and such.
    Belle Barth was a comedienne in the 50's and 60's, made many records made on Miami Beach and New York clubs. She's good, lots of jewish humor, some of it crude, but funny, and nowhere near as filthy as today's humor. Anyone know if the Walgreens on 67th and Collins is where Pumpernick's once stood? Oh, Belle Barth's Pub was torn down a long long time ago, it was only called that for a short time. However, the Place Pigalle on 41st (I believe) was there until recently, if not still there. It was where the Forge is. But that style of comedy and stripshow combination act went out way before Pearl Williams quit doing it in 1984...do you know if the Gayety Burlesque house was torn down?

Hi DeauvilleAl,

Do you live in South Florida as well?

I'm not sure about Pumpernick's, but I can tell you that The Forge has been there a loooong time, so Place Pigalle must've closed a while back. That name does a ring a bell though.

Gayety Burlesque was next to Wolfie's right? That's gone too.

New User

The Place Pigalle was located at 22nd and Collins next to the Embers restaurant.The line up there often included Pearl Williams, Pauly Dash and Lee Sohn.

When not performing at the Pigalle, Pauly was starring in shows at the Deauville Hotel in the Cassanova room. He also appeared in movies including Sinatra's Lady in Cement.

Lee Sohn made an album or two but retired from show business in the 70's. Great voice in the day. I think he went into the roofing business after leaving the Pigalle.

Pearl's last gig was at a small venue in Hallandale off of US1 in the late 70's or early 80's. You may find some of her albums on ebay.

Does anybody remember Pauly Dash?

New User

Hi everyone. Does anyone have any photos of the Colonial Inn when it finally closed its doors and also of it actually being demolished (not with a fence in front of it)? I'd love to see the photos (I'd probably throw up after seeing them). I sure miss that place. Thanks all.

Greetings all,

A Flickr pal pointed me to the Wolfson Florida archives on youtube. There's lots of vintage footage from Miami Beach.

Here is a silent video of Miami Beach from the 1970s.

And here is another video, a promo (not related to the Wolfson archive).

Enjoy!

Oh and don't forget to visit my Vintage Miami Beach group on Flickr.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Cool stuff, Maria. Thanks for posting!

The new public library is on the site of the old Embers restaurant and Place Pigalle. I have some Belle Barth, Pearl Williams, and Lee Sohn records. I remember seeing Pearl once, talking to my Dad on Washington Ave. I knew her from her picture in the ads in the paper, so I knew she was "famous". Ha. Later, he told me that Pearl and Belle talked like "sailors".

Does anyone know where this picture was taken?
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1136/...4a2b4e6667.jpg

Gus

Hi, Margaret, welcome to MiamiBeach411.

I might be wrong, but that picture looks like it was taken in South Beach on the west side of Washington Avenue, between 11th and 12th Street.

But by the look of those cars, it could have been taken in Cuba, last week. ;)

Margaret, welcome to the forums! Thanks for sharing your photos and for that Wolfson Archive tip.

As for that picture ... at first it does look like Washington, but I'm wondering about the width of that sidewalk, which looks more like Lincoln. Note the bottom left corner and the tile there too. Next time I'm on the beach I'll do a scavenger hunt for this location.

Margaret, do you live locally or did you used to live here?

Oh, I forgot to mention. Our very own Scott (Ipanemic) has posted pictures of the hotels on Biscayne Boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Margaret, welcome to the forums! Thanks for sharing your photos and for that Wolfson Archive tip.

As for that picture ... at first it does look like Washington, but I'm wondering about the width of that sidewalk, which looks more like Lincoln. Note the bottom left corner and the tile there too. Next time I'm on the beach I'll do a scavenger hunt for this location.

Margaret, do you live locally or did you used to live here?
    Dangit, i meant to send the link to the page not the pic. Here's is what i think is a companion picture.

http://flickr.com/photos/vieilles_annonces/2650438171/

The Beach theater was on lincoln between wash and drexel. I think they took this picture from in front of the Beach, but the windows of the building (across) there right now are different. (We went to look.) I am hoping to find somebody that remembers Enfields or Jules Gillette. If you look down the sidewalk curves and there is a bit of terrazo visible. That's the entrance to the large building (444? Lincoln)

I live across the street from the police station. It is the neighborhood I grew up in and was born at St. Francis. I have nothing but bile to say about Aqua. :D

sorry to hijack the thread.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Hi, Margaret, welcome to MiamiBeach411.

I might be wrong, but that picture looks like it was taken in South Beach on the west side of Washington Avenue, between 11th and 12th Street.

But by the look of those cars, it could have been taken in Cuba, last week. ;)
    Surprise! It was!! :lol:

First matter of business: Maria's Flicker page is most definitely a look see. Excellent vintage post cards of Miami Beach back in the day but, wait! there's more! By happenstance I found this sight with some very obscure vintage Miami Beach and Miami Beach Sunny Isles Hotel and motel postcards back from the days when Leave It To Beaver was in it's original prime time run!

http://www.cardcow.com/images/set202...rd00270_fr.jpg
    http://www.cardcow.com/images/set174...rd00745_fr.jpg
    http://www.cardcow.com/images/set174...rd00679_fr.jpg

BTW, I'm starting to like <www.yahoosearch.com> better than good old Google; especially for vintage Miami Beach goodies!

www.cardcow.com

Ignore the pretty girls and look at the pictures of the hotels.

http://cuban-exile.com/doc_201-225/doc0202.html

There's also these sites if you are willing to lose the next several hours of your lives.

http://www.floridamemory.com/PhotographicCollection/
    http://scholar.library.miami.edu/mia...tal/index.html

New User

THANK YOU ZIPPYJET FOR THE INFO ON ALL THE MOTELS. Would anyone have a photo of the CASTAWAYS HOTEL? Hi to everyone, this is my first 'post'. Sandra

Gus

Welcome to MiamiBeach411, Sandra. Thanks for joining us.

Did you stay at the Castaways? It sure looks like it was a fun place to stay...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi Sandra! WElcome!

Yes, Zippyjet posted pictures of the Castaways over at this thread.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast