Default Re: Old Motel Photos and Postcards - Sunny Isles

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Very interesting link, thanks!

Edit: I have this link with old photos which I also like:
    Great photos !!

Hi All !!

Just joined and need your help.

I'm part of a team that locates houses, buildings road, etc.. for the old TV series Miami Vice. There is a website HERE: http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net/index.html that has laid out all the locations of each episode of the series. We are currently stuck with a location from the Pilot episode "Brothers Keeper" and the beach hotel/motel scene where Leon gets killed by Trini Desoto. Below are some screen caps and behind the scene photos to help in identifying this location. I've taken the time to read through several threads and post and lot of you have some great memories/history and of the old Miami Beach area so hopefully you'll be able to spot this location. Thanks for any and all help.

Behind the scene photo 1

Behind the scene photo 2

Behind the scene photo 3

Screen cap 1

Screen cap 2

Hock's Tiki Bar screen cap 3

Screen cap 4

Thanks again !

There's really not a lot of low-rise hotels/apartments like that right on the Beach anymore. The only place I can think of would be up in Sunny Isles, where there's still 1 or 2. But this may well have been a spot up in North Beach or Sunny Isles or up there that is now a high rise. RK?

Sunny Isles and North Beach have been the area we've been focused on but so far, no luck.

We've been using aerial photos from 1980 and 1986 from this website: http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?op=home but still very difficult to find.

Thanks for you help Matt, much appreciated!

Pink Flaming0 -

Have you tried contacting the show's producer{s)? It might be worth a shot. It might also be worth trying to send a note or e-mail to the actors (Don Johnson, et al.). They're not exactly busy these days, and they might feel honored that a fan group is interested.
    Some actors are total douche bags (Alec Baldwin comes to mind), and others are very nice people and genuinely appreciate their fans (Robert Duval is one of the nicest). I'm not sure on which side that Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas, etc. fall on the niceness scale, but it's worth a shot.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    Pink Flaming0 -

Have you tried contacting the show's producer{s)? It might be worth a shot. It might also be worth trying to send a note or e-mail to the actors (Don Johnson, et al.). They're not exactly busy these days, and they might feel honored that a fan group is interested.
    Some actors are total douche bags (Alec Baldwin comes to mind), and others are very nice people and genuinely appreciate their fans (Robert Duval is one of the nicest). I'm not sure on which side that Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas, etc. fall on the niceness scale, but it's worth a shot.

Glenn
    Thanks for the reply, Glenn!

Actually we've had help from the shows location managers, cameramen and other crew members that still live in the Miami area but unfortunately we haven't had much help with this particular location. Hopefully someone will see the pictures I posted and it might jog their memory of this location.

Thanks for your help Glenn !

New User

Wow I read some great stories about the colonial inn. I have stayed at that hotel from 1976 to 1995 and really miss that hotel. I am 36 now and remember it well. My family went down in October when me and my sister were young and as we got older it was always in July. I remember a lot of the different people that used to work the pool and the bingo and movies in the upper lobby. I remember the restaurant and the stage performances they used to have. I remember when they kept the ice on the first floor under the stairs until they moved outside. I used to be scared going under the stairs to scoop ice. The playroom was on the second floor but was usually always closed. Also the card room. My mom said those rooms that were across from the upper lobby with the letters on the door were honeymoon suites but I never knew for sure. I had a lot of great memories and pics of that place that I will try to put up soon. Thanks for keeping the colonial Inn alive on your site.

New User

I so love this thread- our parents brought us to Suny Isles back in 1987 to the Pan American Ocean Resort- oh what fond memories I have about that nice Hotel- I went back to the Pan American until 1995- by then it was a Rui - Resort- still great! I loved it everytime I stayed there- the afternoon tea with the free cookies- wonderful!
    I drove by in 2000, by then it was a club house of some sort!
    Fast foreward to 2014- I stayed in the Aqualina Resort that now occupies the site- oh what a difference- but a wonderful Hotel- with exellent service- strange feelings overcame me- when thought back...! I know the whole site is now called Trump- Kingdom!
    I try to post some pictures soon.
    Michael
    rk likes this.

rk

Looking forward to your pictures. There seem to be too few on the web. This one is from http://snbauthor.blogspot.com/2014/01/new.html and seems to be from the 1960's.

Name:  Pan-American-Sunny-Isles.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  43.7 KB

New User

Thank you for that great picture! I have never seen one from this angle- even though I remember very well were father parked the car at exactly that spot!
    Name:  Foto 1 (2).JPG
Views: 86
Size:  132.2 KBName:  Foto 3.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  157.9 KB

The first pictures is from about 1992 the next one is how the site looks 2014 now known as Aqualina! What a difference!
    Greetings
    Michael

New User

Did you see- the new owners " stole " a peace of the beach! LOL!

New User

Well, I know not all like what they have done in Sunny Isles- well changes are a constandly happening. So when we go down memory lane we tend to " cut the eges" ! If I am honest those hotels / motels next to the Pan American looked rather rund down back in the 90īs - if not shabby- walking a long the beach one could clearly see that! I am still searching for map were one can see on which site which motel/ hotel onces stood- and we can see there now!
    I digitalize some pictures from the " inside" next! What fun to " Walk down Memorylane" !
    Greetings
    Michael

New User

Quote Originally Posted by germancruiser View Post
    Well, I know not all like what they have done in Sunny Isles- well changes are a constandly happening. So when we go down memory lane we tend to " cut the eges" ! If I am honest those hotels / motels next to the Pan American looked rather rund down back in the 90īs - if not shabby- walking a long the beach one could clearly see that! I am still searching for map were one can see on which site which motel/ hotel onces stood- and we can see there now!
    I digitalize some pictures from the " inside" next! What fun to " Walk down Memorylane" !
    Greetings
    Michael
    I am so glad I stumbled on your posts! My family and I went to the Pan American every year from 1965 until 1974. I knew that motel inside and out and virtually all of the staff. It is hard to forget Eddie the bartender who let me sit at the bar and fed me Shirley Temples and extra cherries. Pretty good for an eight year old. My parents and I actually made it into the brochure one year. I've collected odds and ends from the hotel on ebay over the years but no luck finding bigger items. Maybe they are out there. Do you have photos from your visits? I can't find many photos other than the old post cards. What a special place....

New User

Default Re: Pan American Motel

Like you I stayed at the Pan American every year with my family although a bit later--1965 to 1974. It was a special place and a special time. It was very restricted and, as my father tells it, the family that owned the motel approved who got in and who didn't. But to a kid, none of that registered. The pool, the outdoor bar, the staff that remembered you year in and year out, all good.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678