Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Old Miami Beach Hotels and Motels

Default Old Miami Beach Hotels and Motels

From my childhood, I vaguely remember these hotels and motels. I believe most of them were in Miami Beach. However I do not remember where on Collins Avenue. There are a couple that may have been in Hollywood on the beach. If anyone has any pictures and or information please share.

1. The Momark: I'm sure that was the name of this hotel. I seem to remember a brochure however it with other classic Miami Beach hotel brochures got lost in the vast Bermuda Triangle of mess that is my parent's kitschy house.

2. The Carriage House

3. The Twelve Caesars: I remember me and my family stuck for one of those real estate sales pitches served up with runny scrambled eggs circa 1974. I seem to remember the Twelve Caesars being a sort of run down 1950's era hotel in the Bal Harbor or Surfside areas.

4. The Attache Motel: This one harks back to the days of when the Beatles, Batman and Bond were all the rage (circa 1966). This motel may have been in Hollywood.

5. The Windrift: Another possible Hollywood area motel.

6. Finally, what year did the Nautilus in South Beach turn into the Riande Continental Hotel? This had to be at least 1995?

I thank all of you in advance for any pictures or information you can share.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi zippyjet,

I tried to find some info about those old hotels, but all I could find was the address for The Carriage House at 5401 Collins Ave. Miami Beach, FL 33109.

Hopefully, there are some other people out there who remember them.

I always use Ebay to search for old cards. Have some beauties over the years and I just copy and paste the picture. Here is a sampling of what ebay has to offer for the Nautilus hotel.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=nau...otel&_osacat=0

I remember The Olympia, around 157th. That's where we vacationed every July. It was a crappy little place, but a bunch of my relatives would rent there, and we kids had a blast.

It had a huge pool and shuffle board, and a little restaurant.

Those are the best memories of my life...

New User

Twelve Caesars Hotel Photos - March 1976.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    windywilly3 likes this.

New User

Great.. Pictures. Thanks for sharing them..

Thanks for the memories. We usually stayed at the Singapore at 96th but a couple years moved down to the 12 Caesers to save money. I think they were turning it into a Health Spa while we were there our last year, run by Pritikin. We ended up buying a lousy condo in West Palm afterward and after 10 years lost everything in a major real estate bust (sound familiar?).

New User

Default Re: Old Miami Beach Hotels and Motels

In 1974 The 12 Caesars was not run down yet Yes it was a 1950's hotel. it wasn't a 4 or 5 star hotel, it was a 3 and maintained that rating for at least another 10 years. i worked there 3 different times from 1976 to 1985. the runny eggs are usually related to the land deals, they didn't pay much for anything, so they didn't get the best of anything. But if you think the 12 caesars was run down you should have ventured down to South Beach at that time. The only people that went to south bch then were people who went to the kosher hotels or couldn't afford the rest of the bch. It was a time when a single lady could still walk the bch late at nite by herself & not worry about anything. The 12 Caesars was in Surfside actually 9449 Collins Ave. I don't remember when Nathan Pritikin bought the Caesars, but they took 2 floors and refurbished them on a big upgrade. They had to the Pritikin diet was not approved by the FDA, and they charged $5000.00 per stay (1 month if I remember right) they had Drs & nurses on staff 24 hrs a day because the FDA made them. The hotel's name was changed to the Palms, this was the early 80's and was not a fun place to work anymore. they had no idea how to run a hotel, and the General Mgr was a lady that didn't care about our Hotel, because she was still working for the Dipolmat as a Reservations consultant and thought she was the best their was, but the man she replaced was much better GM than she could ever have been.
    Last edited by windywilly3; 03-14-2012 at 09:13 PM.

New User

can anyone tell me the name of the 12 caesars before it became the 12 caesars

New User

Does anyone know what happened to The Attache Motel on Miami Beach..My Husband and I spent our honeymoon there in 1981 and we would love to re-visit for an anniversary. It was a few hotels up from the Fontanebleau Hotel.It would also be great if anyone has any old photographs of The Attache Motel. Thankyou

New User

My Husband and I stayed at The Attache Motel on our honeymoon in 1981. We would love to know what has happenend to it, did it get knocked down or re-furbished and renamed. We are hoping to re-visit Miami beach for our anniversary and it would be extra special if we could spend a day or 2 in The Attache Motel Thankyou Bev P

New User

Hi Gus

Do you remember The Attache Motel on Miami Beach. My husband and I spent our honeymoon there in 1981, we are wondering if it is still there or has it been demolished or refubished and renamed ? It was just a few minutes away from The Fontanebleau Hotel. Thankyou Bev P

What street was it on, do you remember?

rk

Quote Originally Posted by b3vyp View Post
    My Husband and I stayed at The Attache Motel on our honeymoon in 1981. We would love to know what has happenend to it, did it get knocked down or re-furbished and renamed. We are hoping to re-visit Miami beach for our anniversary and it would be extra special if we could spend a day or 2 in The Attache Motel Thankyou Bev P
    I believe you're thinking of the one at 2711 S. Ocean Drive, Hollywood Beach. I wish I remembered it, but I don't, it must have been quite a place. I did find three pictures of it on the net which I am attaching below. I hope it will look familiar. The motel was demolished about 5 years ago, and has been replaced by the new "Trump Hollywood" condo (opened in 2009, condo prices are $1m to $8m). The fourth picture below shows the new Trump bldg (captured from Google Street view). Interestingly, Bing BirdsEye view caught the building in the process of being demolished, which is the fifth picture below. For completeness, the sixth and last picture shows the Attache Gardens Apartments across the street, which must have been there in 1981 and are still standing. It's always fun to revisit old places and i hope this will help. Happy Anniversary.

Name:  Attache_Motel-Front.jpg
Views: 6394
Size:  308.5 KB

Name:  Attache_Motel-Sea-view.jpg
Views: 4795
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  Attache_Motel-Pool.jpg
Views: 4350
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  Attache_Motel-now-Trump_Hollywood.jpg
Views: 5122
Size:  303.8 KB

Name:  Attache_Motel-Demolition.jpg
Views: 4941
Size:  303.8 KB

Name:  Attache_Garden-Apartments.jpg
Views: 4375
Size:  218.0 KB

Yay Trump! Killing South Florida's character one block at a time!

New User

Next door to the Diplomat on Hollywood Beach was the Attache Hotel which my Father John Young managed from its opening. He was a remarkable talented man who never reached his true potential. All of these photos but the last are of that one.
    rk likes this.

rk

Very interesting. Do you remember much about it, such as, which year did it open? Which year did your father stop working there? which year did the hotel close? Any other memories of the Attache? Thanks.

Nic
    New User

Default About L'Attaché in Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Dok49 View Post
    Next door to the Diplomat on Hollywood Beach was the Attache Hotel which my Father John Young managed from its opening. He was a remarkable talented man who never reached his true potential. All of these photos but the last are of that one.
    Hello,
    i was looking on internet to Find the motel L'Attaché in Hollywood when I found your post. Is it possible to ask to your father if he remembers the Greenbriar Motel near the Attaché? We are french canadian and spent our honeymoon in Greenbriar in 1967, almost 50 years ago! We were going at L'Attaché for diner. L'Attaché had a black top hat and a cane near the name.
    thanks for your research. Nic

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Default Re: About L'Attaché in Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Hello,
    i was looking on internet to Find the motel L'Attaché in Hollywood when I found your post. Is it possible to ask to your father if he remembers the Greenbriar Motel near the Attaché? We are french canadian and spent our honeymoon in Greenbriar in 1967, almost 50 years ago! We were going at L'Attaché for diner. L'Attaché had a black top hat and a cane near the name.
    thanks for your research. Nic
    My husband and I used to stay at The Greenbriar from time to time and unfortunately, after one of the hurricanes, it was damaged so badly, part of it was sold off to developers. The rooms behind the beach building and in front of the pool are now a group of townhouses. Part of the original beach building is still standing but is now a single family home. It was the southeast corner first and second floor. It sounds weird but when you see it you'll understand.

Trump also bought and tore down that really cool Holiday Inn right down the street that had that great oceanfront tiki bar.

New User

Some nice old pictures in this forum. I'm new to this forum so I can't post a video link my father took riding up Collins Ave in 1948 starting about 17th Street at the Raleigh hotel. It's on youtube however so if you want to watch it you can search for Miami Beach 1948.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast