Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Hotel recommendations for under $100?

Need some help with hotel recommendations!

We had our heart set on an apartment rental but have since found out it's more than advertised, plus they want a hefty deposit. So am back to the hotel drawing board...

Was looking at some of the hotels in the South Beach group which looked nice and affordable - The Chelsea, The Shelley and The Chesterfield - however, the reviews on Trip Advisor seem to be unamimously terrible.

Can anybody recommend a good hotel for $100 a night or under? I know we're not going to get the Ritz for that price - just want something clean & not too cramped! Don't really mind whereabouts in South Beach.

Hi Betsy, if you don't need to splurge, I've always been happy with a room at the Clay Hotel. They're a little boxy, but it's a very beautiful, centrally-located hotel right at Espanola Way and Washington Avenue. It's one of the few Mediterranean-style hotels on the Beach and goes back to the days of Al Capone and Desi Arnaz...

Now that it's off season, I would try:

South Seas
    The Shelborne

I've stayed at the President, it's clean, nicely decorated, but has paper thin walls and no beach access/chairs.

rk

I just posted this in another thread also. One of the members here, Sunspot Rentals, offers rooms at the Shelborne at reasonable prices. See his web site: http://www.sunspotmiami.com/

Also check the link at the bottom of this page:

http://www.miamibeach411.com/Hotels/hotel-search.htm

A lot depends on the dates you'll be here. Summer is low season so under $100 per day should be quite doable.

If you're unsure about a specific hotel post back here for comments.

Disclaimer: I am not connected with sunspotmiami or miamibeach411 in any way other than being a member of this forum.

Good luck.

rk, are the apartments sunspot rentals is offering under $100 per night? Or only if you stay there for a week or more?

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    rk, are the apartments sunspot rentals is offering under $100 per night? Or only if you stay there for a week or more?
    Good question. Going by their web page on rates: http://www.sunspotmiami.com/Rates.html

it does seem that you can rent by the day, or by the week (for slight additional savings). In fact the "city view" room is listed for $69 per night on weekdays. Of course these are summer (low season) rates, and one has to know the actual dates, plus there is a cleaning fee, and not sure about taxes. There is no daily maid service, and parking is not included. I recall from another thread that Sunspot may offer an additional discount if you mention that you're a member here.

I have never used Sunspot myself, but recall reading good reviews in the past when they were called Luc's Getaway. I am familiar with the Shelborne and consider it a very good value and great location for anything under $100/night. The Shelborne is a condo-hotel, which means that rooms are owned by private owners, so some rooms may be better or worse than others. Check reviews about Sunspot/Luc's specifically rather than Shelborne in general, and of course compare with other deals in the area.

Ah, thanks. It looks like their ocean view rooms require a minimum 3-night stay and their city-view rooms require a minimum 2-night stay. Depending on how much the taxes and cleaning charges are, it sounds like a good deal! You'd get more in-room amenities than you would at the Clay, where I think you'd only get maybe a mini-fridge and possible use of the community kitchen...

Heaven, You can also check out the Jazz Hostels. I believe South Beach has two.

Doug, didn't you write an article reviewing those hostels?

I've written a few, but it sounded like she was looking for something a little nicer. I did mention the Clay in one of the write-ups. The Jazz has kind of a frat-house party feel to it and not many private rooms, while the South Beach Hostel (not a Jazz hostel) was recently renovated and feels a little cramped and institutional. With one bathroom per sex per floor, it was also a little claustrophobic.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Betsy,

In South Beach, hotel rates change from day to day.

I'm happy to recommend a few places.

Can you tell us your dates of stay?

New User

Thanks guys

We're coming mid September for 9 nights. We're not looking for anything overly grand - I know we won't find it with our budget - but we do want our own bathroom etc.

Gus

Heavens to Betsy, there are tons of hotels in South Beach offering rates under $100 a night in mid September!

These are my top picks...

Continental: $49; Whitelaw: $55; Chesterfeild, $62; Starlite: $65; Haddon Hall: $71; Winterhaven: $79; Blue Moon: $85, Townhouse: $99

And there are even a few resort hotels under $100 in Mid Miami Beach.

The easiest way to compare properties:

- Go here and insert your dates of stay.

- On the search results page, click the check box, next to the properties you like.

- Click the green "Compare" button at the bottom of the page.

Good luck on your search.

Please come back and tell us about your vacation.

New User

Thanks everyone.

The Sunspot rooms at the Shelborne look good and I am making enquiries...

Have also found a couple of hotels within our budget that get good reviews - The Delores, The President (which Sungal mentioned) and the Blue Moon.

Does anyone have experience of these? The Blue Moon is a bit more expensive than the other two, but gets cracking reviews.

We stayed at the Del Rio condominium on the corner of 11th and Collins, next to the Nash Hotel a couple of times and found it to be really nice. The owner has two condos and we rented the one facing Davids on 11th. The unit was renovated and had a kitchen and a very nice bath. The location is in the heart of the entertainment area of South Beach, a short block to the beach or to the clubs on Washington. There is no parking but the municipal lot at 12th and Washington is literally around the block. The only downside was that in that location it is noisy and we found it necessary to sometimes wear ear plugs though the owner installed new windows which helped a great deal. The current rate is $99 less 15% for 7 nights or more. Check it out, the website is

http://www.delriocondo.com/302.htm

New User

Just to let you know we've gone ahead and booked a room at the Shelborne through Sunspot Rentals - thanks for the recommendation RK!

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by heavenstobetsy
    Thanks everyone.

The Sunspot rooms at the Shelborne look good and I am making enquiries...

Have also found a couple of hotels within our budget that get good reviews - The Delores, The President (which Sungal mentioned) and the Blue Moon.

Does anyone have experience of these? The Blue Moon is a bit more expensive than the other two, but gets cracking reviews.
    We had some of our wedding party stay at the Blue Moon. They all reported back to me that they were pleased with the accommodations.

The Blue Moon also offers free breakfast and free Wi-Fi.

rk

Good luck with your trip! Do post back what you liked, or did not.

The good thing about the rentals that Ray offers (Sun Spot) is the location. You are paying a fraction of the price for a room at a hotel that people are paying so much more for!!

Like RK said, come back to us with a review. You are the second person from the site to book a room with them so we'd love to hear how everything goes! For all future people, you get a discount if you mention that you found the rooms on Miami Beach 411 :)

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Heavens to Betsy, there are tons of hotels in South Beach offering rates under $100 a night in mid September!

These are my top picks...

Continental: $49; Whitelaw: $55; Chesterfeild, $62; Starlite: $65; Haddon Hall: $71; Winterhaven: $79; Blue Moon: $85, Townhouse: $99

And there are even a few resort hotels under $100 in Mid Miami Beach.

The easiest way to compare properties:

- Go here and insert your dates of stay.
    Hey Gus, I noticed all of these are on the east side of the island. Do you have any top picks under $100 along West Ave from 10th - Lincoln or Collins Rd from 70th - 80th? (august)

Gus

Hi seo-guy,

Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions for the West side of the island... All places over there are vacation rentals, not hotels.

The best way to find a good vacation rental is on Craigslist, or here at Miami Beach 411.

Are you looking for a short-term rental, while you find a place to live?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast