Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Any opinions on the W Hotel in Ft Lauderdale?

We've decided to treat my niece in her last days in Fl before she's sent back to Athens for her last year at UGA. Want to send her up there rested and ready to go.

We don't want to drive all the way down to Maimi, and my suggestion of a Beach Villa at the Boca Raton Resort got shot down. Idea being a tweenty one year old might want a place more lively and contemporary.

We've settled for the W in Ft Lauderdale in a 2br flat for two nights starting tomorrow. I've never paid that city justice and no doubt, our special guest will be estatic with the room. Both of us should be happy.

Have anyone of you been or stayed there before ?

Maria - If you read this, Where's the best place to grub ?
    Last edited by Jess; 08-06-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: retitled

That sounds so fun! I've never been to Ft. Lauderdale..I would love to go. If she wants to check out a a club Pangea is supposed to be great.

Default Re: Any opinions on the W Hotel in Ft Lauderdale ?

Quote Originally Posted by sungal View Post
    That sounds so fun! I've never been to Ft. Lauderdale..I would love to go. If she wants to check out a a club Pangea is supposed to be great.
    That tough to believe with the time you spend in Miami. Got to give it a try.

I'll be heading there in an hour. Needed to make a quick run to Miami, as a friend slipped a couple of Alejandro Sanz concert tix under our door.

I'll give my impressions in a couple of days with pics.

Taking a time out from the sun to report that the W in Ft. Lauderdale has been satisfactory. This is my third W stayin general and the brand is consistent

. Just a small snafu at check as as I specified I required an ocen fron room. I was regulated to tower II which is off Atlantic Blvd, with beach and intercoastal views but not beachfront. My AX travel agent, which happened to be in Miramar, settled the issue with me only being responsible for one of two nights. A mistake was made, and they made good to my advantage.

Before I take a little siesta before an evening out, I'll share a few pics We'ree enjoyind a 1600 sq ft two bedroom suite a direct southern view.

LIVING AREAS

Name:  w 011.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  w 015.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  wow 004.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  75.6 KB

KITCHEN

Name:  wow 001.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  88.4 KB

CONT ......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  wow 002.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  74.5 KB

My neice and her friend repping UGA and Eckered College and how they mix Margeritas in those frat parties in Athens. #1 college party town in the US.

Name:  w 009.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  84.6 KB

BEDROOMS

Name:  w 005.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  w 014.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  77.3 KB

CONT ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 08-07-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Name:  wow 003.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  76.2 KB
    2nd bath room

POOL SCENE

Name:  wow 012.jpg
Views: 6596
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  wow 010.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  96.8 KB

Name:  wow 009.jpg
Views: 3171
Size:  96.5 KB
    MY PRE LIPOSUCTION PICTURE OH YES ! I LIKE TO KEEP MY TUMMY HAPPY

ROOM VIEW
    Name:  w 012.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  92.0 KB

I haven't had a chance to explore the city as much as I wanted because we are fine doing what we have been doing. Deserves another vist to get away from the Miami doldrums.

The W in Ft. Lauderdale has earned a thumbs up from your friend reporting live from FLL.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 08-08-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: edit

From someone that you can never accuse of thinking Miami Beach is Shangri- La, I'll have to admit I had a better time staying at the Sherbrooke in SoBe than my just completed stay in FLL. You just have to face it, it's all about location. Unless you eat at a hotel, you have to drag your car out of valet to go to a restuarant. There is also more emphasis on the pool scene than going to the beach. I don't select a hotel to do the pool thing because I can do that any day of the week. The beach was ok and calm, not as beautiful as SoBe. Did enjoy my early morning swim. It takes twenty seconds to walk from the curb to the waterline.

My only regret is I didn't vist the city center and the Latin American Exhibit at the Art Museum. We did the Mai-Kai thing which we actually enjoyed. Having never the desire of traveling to Hawaii, I can say it filled the void. Saturday night we went out to a concert but in Miami.

Sungal - My neice and her friend did not end up going to a club, but on both nights spend a good amount of time at Whiskey Blue at the hotel. The decor was ok. They had a dj but no dancing.

I'll definitely visit Ft Lauderdale but probably not ever overnight there again.

UTS, I'm so sorry I missed this thread! Next time, send me PM if you need to point me to something. Thanks so much for reporting.

I really love Fort Lauderdale. I like it more than Miami Beach actually! Isn't that just awful???

I would've recommended Himmarshee Restaurant ... that's one of my faves ... as well as the Downtowner Saloon. I also recommend getting a day pass on the Water Taxi and pub crawling that way.

I'm a big fan of the Hyatt Pier 66, too. Not only is it a great resort, they have an amazing brunch which you can enjoy the rooftop venue. It rotates 360 each hour so you get this spectacular view of the ocean and the intracoastal. The only drawback about the Hyatt is that it's not directly on the water (it's on the intracoastal) but there is a free beach shuttle. The beach is less than a mile away. Their waterfront restaurant called Pelican Landing is right on the intracoastal. It's one of my fave spots in the city.

I loved the pics! That fridge was HUGE!!! I'm actually heading that way this weekend but am not staying at the W though. I will have to check out some of the restaurants mentioned. Maria, is the Hyatt Pier restaurant good for dinner also? That sounds fun... or would make me travel sick... one or the other!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Great pics!

The W looks like a very nice hotel, but what's up with that weird glass entrance into the pool?.. I've never seen anything like it.

maria - I was tempted to call you. I drove around the city prior to hitting Atlantic and realized walking from the hotel was not feasoble. To continue on a theme you were discussing yesterday, being married and with a child can be like dragging a ball and chain. I keep those restuarant reccos in mind for next time. I probably could of hopped around in that water taxi.

gus- The main entry to the pool is from the stairwell of the public area called the LIVING ROOM. The glass that supports the pool and offers a cool effect when walking up the stairwell.

Jess- listen to maria. She is also doubles as 411Ftlauderdale.com

One cool detail I wish I knew about the W is that they are pet friendly. It invloves a non ref $100.00 dep and dail rate of $25.00. Chunche could have had his own Heavenly Bed and other treats that would have been set up in the room.

UTS - yes you could've have or sent a text, too! I'm always happy to help. I love the fortlauderdale411.com idea ... every city could use a great forum like the one we have here!

I always tell people that the term miamibeach411 is just that because the website started there, but that we cover all of South Florida.

Jess- the brunch at the Hyatt is on Sundays only during the day. The space is not open as a restaurant per se but it is used for special events and banquets, that sort of thing.

The rooftop floor revolves VERY slowly. You will not notice the movement.

Default Re: Any opinions on the W Hotel in Ft Lauderdale?

My God ! How time has passed by.

My niece did eventually graduate from UGA and is in law school and the next in-line iis going start at New College in Sarasota in a couple of weeks.

That said, I'm looking for another 2br suite to rest these girls up before they hit the books. The law student is really stressed, even this deep into Summer vaca.

Looking for a mid keys stay arrangement

This plea or request for a suggestion is in competition with a stay at a friend's second ( beach ) home in the Jacksonville area. Advanatge there is we can bring both dogs and I've always wanted to vist Cumberland Island.

I'm open to suggestions, no matter how spartan they might be. It's all about the beach.

I promised the girls the weekend of the 27th.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 07-15-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Resolved this issue and trying something new in FL this go round.

Heading to Ponte Vedra Beach later this week.

A friend loaned me his beach house and looks like I'll rendezvous with @vicequeenmaria ( Maria de los Angeles ) at a St Augustine watering hole on Sat..

The best part is Chunche and my sister's dog will enjoy a few days at the beach.

Let us know how you like the area; far up there at the top of the state! There is not too much going on in the middle keys area so I think you made a good choice. Plus, maybe it's cooler up there!!

Michelle -This has to be my/our beach vacation experience ever.I've been here in Ponte Vedra for the last three days.Nothing short of spectacular.I'm writing from the beach house sun deck and I don't want to leave.Internet connection is not great, but I write about my experience when I get back.I've posted a few pics you can check out on my tweeter feed.