Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 2zippyjet
  • 1 Post By rk

Thread: Anyone remember the Algiers Hotel?

New User

Default Anyone remember the Algiers Hotel?

Between 25th and 26th street on Collins.

Just curious: my wife worked there as a young girl as a switchboard operator.

I was never in the Algiers, but I recall seeing it (the exterior) in 1973 as a kid when we stayed at the Sans Souci (now called the RIU), about 5 blocks north of the Algiers. Both places were designed by Morris Lapidus.

Glenn

Default Re: Anyone remember the Algiers Hotel?

Here's some old photos:
    ALGIERS HOTEL MIAMI BEACH FLORIDA

New User

Remember, I still have the original brochure. The women all had beehive hairdoo's. No one worked out back then, however the women looked great in their one piece bathing suits. You could see the womens arms were a little flabby. The bodies aren't sculped like now a day's. As a child Mom took me there several times and it was terrific. All of Collins Avenue was incredible. On one visit I met Johnny Carsons producers son and I think we were 8 years old. we just went from one hotel to the other crashing kid parties. He stayed there for several weeks so he knew the lay of the land. When Mom caught up to me I told her who I was with. She wasn't mad, I think she was pleased that I met such an influential person. When she said do you know who you were with? I said, Ma he's just another kid. He's funny, I like him allot. On another trip years later, my sister who was eleven years older met Jackie Gleason on a line going into a club. She was with my cousin. I think he took them off the line and took them in. I also have a post card where my Mom wrote to my Dad telling him what a great Time we were having.

Hi Joe, thanks for sharing your memories!

I found these two images on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vieille...es/1199832064/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/42353480@N02/3933606850/

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAlbury View Post

I remember passing it when we drove on Collins Avenue. From the outside it looked like a modern prison because of the bars across the windows. I know the building was designed by Morris Lapidus. It looked kitschy. One of my dearest friends parents honeymooned at the Algiers when they were married back in 1960!. They were from New York (Bronx) at the time and flew down to Miami on a classic Eastern Air Lines DC-8! (Golden Falcoln livery) and the plane featured funky curtains instead of today's pull down shades!
    Last edited by 2zippyjet; 07-16-2011 at 01:45 AM.
    rk likes this.

Default Another pic 4 You

Last edited by 2zippyjet; 07-16-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Add a comment

Default Re: Another pic 4 You

Quote Originally Posted by 2zippyjet View Post
    Boy, these pics bring back a flood of memories of Miami Beach vacations:

1. Pool and beach areas jammed with humanity in various stages of sunburn, many with bloated floppy bellies and zinc oxide on their lips. Kids with blow up cartoon character floats, tinny sounding music blaring from the sound systems.
    2. Visiting Calypso bands playing cheesey pop standards with a Calypso beat with their kids dancing and relying on tips from the vacationers.
    3. That same scratchy tinny speaker system blasting the nasal bleats of an operator with a New York accent:
    "Paging Mr. or Mrs. Hyman Greensperm!"
    4. Social directors with thick New York accents trying to lead kids in activities such as an "egg tewwwoss"
    5. The obligatory octogenarian lady who resembles a prune and a Chinese Crested doggy in a loud bathing suit that looks like a shower curtain with a matching bathing cap with pedals carrying around a zaftig poodle, chihuahua or dachshund schitzving from the heat with a ciggy dangleing from her mouth.
    Oy its so humid! I'm lookink forward to fressing at the Rascal House on their stuffed cabbage and linzer torts, booby.
    Last edited by 2zippyjet; 07-16-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks for the great stories and pictures, Zippy!

Awesome, Zippy!

Glenn

New User

Wink Re: Anyone remember the Algiers Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Aquino View Post
    Remember, I still have the original brochure. The women all had beehive hairdoo's. No one worked out back then, however the women looked great in their one piece bathing suits. You could see the womens arms were a little flabby. The bodies aren't sculped like now a day's. As a child Mom took me there several times and it was terrific. All of Collins Avenue was incredible. On one visit I met Johnny Carsons producers son and I think we were 8 years old. we just went from one hotel to the other crashing kid parties. He stayed there for several weeks so he knew the lay of the land. When Mom caught up to me I told her who I was with. She wasn't mad, I think she was pleased that I met such an influential person. When she said do you know who you were with? I said, Ma he's just another kid. He's funny, I like him allot. On another trip years later, my sister who was eleven years older met Jackie Gleason on a line going into a club. She was with my cousin. I think he took them off the line and took them in. I also have a post card where my Mom wrote to my Dad telling him what a great Time we were having.
    Hi Joe .. just found this thread.. and would love to see the brochure.. any chance you would scan it and post or email it to me? My dad owned that hotel in the 70's .. and i spent many years there...visiting.. and working.. i don't have the brochure... and would love to see it... thanks!

I would love to see that brochure as well!

New User

I spent several exciting, wonderful vacations there with my parents in the late 50's and very early 60's. I remember going to Pickin Chicken for dinner. That was my favorite. We used to go to Wolfies and walk on Lincoln Road.
    The first time we vacationed in Miami Beach, I was a little girl of about 5. We flew down on a prop jet from Idlewild Airport to Miami and it took more than 5 hours. We stayed at the Helen Mar Hotel and efficiency apartments on Indian Creek, across from the Algiers.That was one vacation, after that my family moved to the Algiers.We spent all our vacations there until the hotel started to show its age. Then we moved further up Collins to the Deauville.I remember at the Algiers, I had a puppy love crush on Mike who was on of the parking attendants.The Algiers was a lovely hotel in its day and we have beautiful family memories from vacations spent there.

Teddi

Thanks for sharing your story, Teddi.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAlbury View Post

Stayed there several times in the early 1960's. It was owned by my mother's cousin Dave Levinson. He also owned the TAMARACK LODGE, in the Borscht Belt, in the Catskills.

New User

I just saw a shot of it in an episode of The Phil Silver's Show which aired 5/11/1958 titled Bilko's Honeymoon. I assume it has been torn down. Anybody know when?

rk

Quote Originally Posted by wallmann View Post
    I just saw a shot of it in an episode of The Phil Silver's Show which aired 5/11/1958 titled Bilko's Honeymoon. I assume it has been torn down. Anybody know when?
    The Algiers Hotel: 2555 Collins Avenue
    Opened: Dec 1952
    Demolished: 1980 (I think)
    Currently the Club Atlantis condos occupy that site.

Morris Lapidus designed the facade and many of the visible features, and is credited as the designer, but the Algiers was originally designed by the more famous Henry Hohauser, who is listed as the architect of record.
    GandJ likes this.

New User

WOW. I have not been to Florida since 1995 when I was pregnant with my daughter. I remember staying in Surfside with my much missed parents from 1979 to 1981. First year, stayed at the Twelve Caesars and after that the Singapore. I miss these old hotels

I miss Florida. I have to go back

New User

I have never heard this kind of hotel.