Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Glenn, you are a veritable walking encyclopedia of all things boating! Having you on this forum is such a pleasure ... thanks to you, UTS and everyone else and Blake, of course, for bringing up one of my fave topics.

Coincidentally, up here in St. Augustine, I just met someone who is looking to learn how to sail and be part of a crew. So I'm researching some stuff for him, too. Anyone have any ideas? I think the best thing is just to network and be part of a crew ... Glenn?

I'm talking serious sailing here ... not just being part of a motor boat yacht.

Oh by the way ... when I was in Hawaii, I randomly met a dude who was a sailor. He had just come back from the northeast, where they were sailing ships that had been in the America's Cup. It was not a race, just an event where people got to sail on those participating ships.

Default Re: Boating job opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Oh by the way ... when I was in Hawaii, I randomly met a dude who was a sailor. He had just come back from the northeast, where they were sailing ships that had been in the America's Cup. It was not a race, just an event where people got to sail on those participating ships.

I hang out more around St. Pete/Clearwater than I do Miami. Everytime I go, I witness the sailing school from USF in full sail with about fifteen boats and eager students. I'm sure somewhere in SFL offers a similar economic option.

I appreciate GandJ set me straight about the yacht detail at FFL, but the west central coast of the state was way more boats in general, though not of the dlx variety.

Agree with you Maria in ref to GandJ's contribution. The America's Cup is not hyped in general circles as it should be.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 11-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Glenn, you are a veritable walking encyclopedia of all things boating! Having you on this forum is such a pleasure ... thanks to you, UTS and everyone else and Blake, of course, for bringing up one of my fave topics.

Coincidentally, up here in St. Augustine, I just met someone who is looking to learn how to sail and be part of a crew. So I'm researching some stuff for him, too. Anyone have any ideas? I think the best thing is just to network and be part of a crew ... Glenn?

I'm talking serious sailing here ... not just being part of a motor boat yacht.
    Maria, I used to do deliveries for Beneteau which is a major sailboat manufactuer in the US. Have your friend locate the nearest sailing club or yacht club and have him sign up to crew in regattas. Skippers ALWAYS need crew and it is a great way to get into sailing. They'll teach him everything he needs to know.

Sailing schools are kind of useless.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Have your friend locate the nearest sailing club or yacht club and have him sign up to crew in regattas. Skippers ALWAYS need crew and it is a great way to get into sailing. They'll teach him everything he needs to know.

Sailing schools are kind of useless.
    Hi FredtheCat! Thanks so much for your input. I think I do remember folks talking about how you can crew on an apprentice basis and that that was the best way to learn. Do you have to be experienced or do they teach you from the ground up? Do you have to pay for the training or do they just "use" you? This would make my friend so happy! At least he would have a chance to try it out.

In my opinion, if someone is brand new to sailing, then sailing school (though a college, or whatever) can be a valuable tool to learn the basics. After that, crewing on a larger boat would be a great opportunity and learning experience.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    In my opinion, if someone is brand new to sailing, then sailing school (though a college, or whatever) can be a valuable tool to learn the basics. After that, crewing on a larger boat would be a great opportunity and learning experience.

Glenn
    After next Thursday, were heading to South Seas on Captiva. Last time we were there, it looked like they have a serious sailing school on property. If I can break free, I might want to try it out for a few hours. For someone like me that is ignorant of the terminology and the whole bit, it could be useful.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Hi FredtheCat! Thanks so much for your input. I think I do remember folks talking about how you can crew on an apprentice basis and that that was the best way to learn. Do you have to be experienced or do they teach you from the ground up? Do you have to pay for the training or do they just "use" you? This would make my friend so happy! At least he would have a chance to try it out.

Hi Maria! No experience needed and a skipper will tell you exactly what he wants you to do. Sailing is kind of weird that you scramble for about two minutes, then you are on the same tack for four hours and do nothing but butts on the high side (meaning when you are under sail power, the boat will heel either starboard or port and all the crew sits on the high side of the boat to try and even out the weight).

You don't pay for training. The best way to learn is on a boat with crew.

I actually went to the Annapolis Sailing School way back in the late 1980s as a birthday present and didn't learn a thing.

Sailing is really a zen kind of thing. I highly recommend! Good luck and let me know if you need any more help!

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    After next Thursday, were heading to South Seas on Captiva. Last time we were there, it looked like they have a serious sailing school on property. If I can break free, I might want to try it out for a few hours. For someone like me that is ignorant of the terminology and the whole bit, it could be useful.
    I've always wanted to do the same! Just to learn basic stuff. Let us know if you do it, UTS. I'm so jealous you'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Sailing is kind of weird that you scramble for about two minutes, then you are on the same tack for four hours and do nothing but butts on the high side
    LOL! I've been rail meat before, too! And a galley wench as well ... I don't get seasick below so the captain was always ordering me to make cocktails and sandwiches.

Thanks for all your advice, Cat.

This weekend I spoke with Captain Koucky over on Pine Island. He pretty much gave me similar advice. Ideally, take a super basic sailing class, then get on to a crew. Although he lives on the west coast, he has been to Miami Yacht Club in the past to teach around Watson Island.

Koucky is working on a beautiful wooden boat called the Alondra. He'll be opening it up to the public for sailing trips soon: Pine Island Sailing, home of Alondra, located in Southwest Florida on Pine Island offers classic sailboat cruises.

The Alondra will also be in Islamorada all summer next year. He does a project with Boy Scouts of America out of Sea Base.

Aint she a pretty little thing?

Name:  UnderSail_Alondra.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  83.5 KB

Next time I go to Pine Island, I hope I have a chance to go out on the water on the Alondra.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12