Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Boating job opportunity?

hello, I live on south beach in the winter and work on fishing vessels in alaska during the summer. Have bartended and served tables the past couple years to get by, but would much rather be working on some kind of vessel. I've inquired here and there with out any luck. Any help info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Blake
    Last edited by Blake; 11-10-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Hi Blake -

Welcome to MB411. I realize you are from the commercial fishing side of boating, but a lot of the boating opportunities down in South Florida will be in the pleasure boat and pleasure yacht categories. There are several large yachts up in the Ft Lauderdale area that might need assistance with crewing, captaining, and maintenance. Do you have an O.U.P.V. or a 50-Ton / 100-Ton Captain's license? If you don't have a Capt licencse, do you have experience crewing or maintaining large boats / yacths?

If there is nothing available in Fort Lauderdale, you might want to check up near Palm / West Palm and up in Stuart. Stuart has a lot of boating activity, but that's getting way up there, and you'd probably have to move farther up the coast.

Best luck.

Glenn

New User

Default thanks

thanks a lot Glenn, no captains license. Years of maintaining and crewing on commercial vessels though. Thanks for your reply. Have a good one.

Blake -

Since you have experience crewing and maintaining, have you looked for work up near Ft. Lauderdale? It's a bigger boating scene up there than Miami. Even the West Marine up there has a captaining a charter office within the store. It's the world's largest West Marine, and up on North Federal Highway in Ft Laud. Their captaining and chartering office might have crewing positions. The store itself might need help, too, since you probably have a decent knowledge of boat parts and equipment, etc. Keep an eye out around the yacht maintenance yards, too.

Good luck.

Glenn

Hi Blake! Welcome to the forums! Glenn is right that Fort Lauderdale has a much more organized and dedicated boating scene. I have a friend who is a yacht broker who used to work with West Marine for ages ... I'll ask him.

The other thing you could do is check out the yachts docked at Miami Beach Marina. Boat people also hang out at Monty's ... might be a good place for you to network.

I have other contacts in the field ... let me see what I can find out for you.

Oh, by the way, if you go to Hyatt Pier 66, there are many yachts docked there permanently or temporarily. I'm not sure how you would approach a yacht for a job opportunity, but they are all big enough to require crew. Just letting you know that Fort Lauderdale is crawling with boats everywhere.

If you do sailboats you could also try Florida Yacht Charters. http://www.floridayacht.com/

They used to be on Miami Beach Marina but their current website lists their contact number in West Palm Beach.

OK, I used to know Captain Rickie a long time ago ... haven't seen him in a couple of years, but here's his website. If you contact him and he's around, tell him Maria "with the blue eyes" sent you: Capt. Rickie and R&R Marine Services

New User

Default Re: Boating job opportunity?

Maria, Glenn thank you both so much! Super excited to utilize the info and contact you both supplied! I've been working and traveling for the past six months, been paying rent on the beach while i was away, so my place is just sitting there....been excited to get back on the beach but also dragging my feet because I was thinking I would be right back in the service industry, which is fine. But...i'm super stoked now to think that there is crewing opportunities out there. In LA till early next week then I will be back on the beach. Thanks a bundle. Very help-full. Chao -Blake

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I'll third or fourth the Fort Lauderdale suggestion. It is the yachting capital of North America. During the winter it is the yachting capital of the world.

Tons of crew, crew jobs, mega ships, opportunities.

Start anywhere on 17th Street. It is ground zero for what you want.

15th Street has a lot of crew apartments and commercial dockage.

Good luck!

Has South Florida every hosted an America's Cup ? Just curious.

As far as the boat capital of the state; St. Pete/Clearwater got everybody licked.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Has South Florida every hosted an America's Cup ? Just curious.

As far as the boat capital of the state; St. Pete/Clearwater got everybody licked.

UTS - The only US locations to hold the Ameica's Cup are Newport, RI (which had it for 132 years), and San Diego, CA.

As far boating in St. Pete / Clearwater, they just don't have the number of large yachts and super-yachts (which require crews) compared to Ft. Lauderdale. It's mostly small to mid-size stuff near St. Pete.

Glenn

Glen - I haven't kept up on the Cup. Do the Australians still dominate ?

My office had an Aussie intern who trained with Stars and Stripes while he was here. Seemed to be great at what he did but he couldn't compete with the crew as he wasn't American.

Blake, very cool! Let us know if you need any more info and how things fare for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Glen - I haven't kept up on the Cup. Do the Australians still dominate ?

UTS -

I'd say the Aussies never did dominate. They had many good years with many runner-up finishes. The only nation to really dominate is the USA. It was considered the longest dynasty of all sports anywhere in the world. The US held the Cup for 132 straight years from the very first Cup series in 1851 until the Aussies finally won 4-3 in a squeaker in 1983. Up until that time, the Americans never lost, and most of the USA wins were shut-outs. The USA domination was the most lobsided and greatest domination in any sport ever. After the 1983 Aussie squeaker victory (which was controversial because they went outside normal 12-Meter design specs), the Aussies got shut-out again 4-0 in the next Cup challenge in 1987. The USA went on to win 3 straight Cups after 1983 until they lost to New Zealand (not the Aussies) in 1995 and 2000.
    The Swiss beat New Zealand in the finals in 2003 and 2007. In 2010, the USA is back again beating the Swiss in a shut-out.

The current Cup win count is:

USA : 30 Cups (with 25 straight, and most of those being shut-outs)
    New Zealand: 2 Cups
    Switzerland: 2 Cups
    Australia: 1 Cup (which was a squeaker and very controversial win because of hull / keel modifications)

Basically, the Aussies never dominated, but they have had several good years. They were the runner-ups to the USA in every Cup challenge from 1967 through 1980. Then, of course, they finally got the championship in 1983. They have never won a Cup since that one controversial 4-3 win in 1983. I was in high school in Rhode Island in 1983, and saw those races. The Aussies were definitely gloating after that win, .... and worst of all, they were blaring that stupid Men-at-Work song, "Down Under" continuously. I think that song had just come out that year.

When you asked about the Aussie domination, you were probably thinking of the Kiwi (New Zealand) wins in 1995 and 2000 when they had some great years. Heck, even their flag looks almost identical to the Aussies' flag.

One more useless piece of trivia.... Technically, the USA has won only 29 "America's Cups", and not 30. Yes, they won the race and a Cup 30 times, but the Cup was not called the America's Cup until after the first race series in 1851. It was decided that the Cup would forever be named after the very first yacht to win it. So, the first yacht to win it was called the "America". So, for every race after that first set in 1851, they were racing for the "America's Cup". That first race series was the first and only one to be held in England. England were the runner-up challenegers for many of the races in the first 100 years of the Cup challenges, but England never did manage to pull off a Cup win.

A couple 12M class Cup racers, on opposite tacks, dueling it out off Newport, RI.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 11-12-2010 at 03:09 AM.

Thank you for clearing my misconception and posting a great synopsis of the history of the race.
    The Cup was regular news when Ted Turner competed as you can imagine, and I remember then fanfare when it was held in SoCal. Since then, it kinda dropped from my mind.

It's probably a sport that doesn't get the popular recognition it deserves.

When's the next Cup ?

Since a teen, I've been a fan of William F. Buckley and read all his novels and books. If you haven't read WFB's Atlantic High, I'm sure you would devour it in a sitting.

That picture was awesome. Did you snap it ?

Hey Blake,

Everyone here knows I know a lot about working on a yacht. In an emergency, Jess could captain the boat! The yachting capital of the US is Ft. Lauderdale. From what I understand to work on a yacht you need to be good looking and also have a completely clean background check. Chances are you'd qualify for a Steward position, which pay really well and you get tips. Ft. Lauderdale even has "crew quarters", a place where you can stay in-between charters and jobs. Most boats hire all the crew in late fall, to get ready for their high winter season.

If you want to work in Miami on a smaller, more casual boat go to the boat office in the ground floor commercial space near Monty's. Talk to Martha and she'll call you if she has any day charters. Like Maria said all the boat people eat at Monty's. Dock E is open to the general public and you can talk to anyone hanging out on their boats to try to network. Also, you might want to make yourself available to do maintenance work on the larger boats that are docked.
    Last edited by Christy; 11-12-2010 at 11:27 AM.

New User

Awsome! Thanks everyone. Super useful info.

UTS -

I believe the next Cup races will be in 2013. They might be in SF, since it was the Golden Gate Yacht Club who defeated the Swiss this year. I remember those Ted Turner years. He successfully defended the Cup on "Courageous" in 1974 and 1977. He imfamously fell off Bannister's Wharf into Newport Harbor during a drunken celebration.
    In 1980, Dennis Connor successfully defended the Cup on "Freedom", and then Connor lost the Cup on "Liberty" to "Australia II" in 1983. Connnor got the Cup back on "Stars and Stripes" in 1987.

I wish it was me. but I did not snap that photo. I should have posted that it was not mine. I did shoot most of the other photos I post on MB411 (except the aerial shots at Columbus Day Regatta boat party).

Regarding WFB, he was an avid sailor. I have not read "Atlantic High", but I recall having his "Word a Day" calendar to try to increase my vocabulary. It was amazing to hear the words that dude came up with, especially given that English was his third language after Spaninsh and French. (As a young boy, his family lived in Mexico. Then he went to school in Paris, and had no formal English triaining until age seven or 8).

Glenn

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Blake, I forgot to add that this time of year everyone is looking for delivery crew.

If you can afford a few free deliveries, that will jump you up to paid deliveries through word of mouth pretty quickly.

Right now all the big boats from the northeast are headed to the islands during the winter and the Palm Beach/Singer Island area is a pretty big jumping off point for those coming down the ditch.

Head up to 15th Street Fisheries in Fort Lauderdale and have a seat at the bar and start asking questions. It won't take you long at all.

New User

Ok, cool. Thanks alot. That sounds great. Get into Mia Tuesday, I'm gonna head right over there. Sweet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast