Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Staying in a Hotel vs a Hostel?

Hi everyone,

my boyfriend has some family in Orlando, so we decided to go there for our spring break!!
    we are so excited about it!! i've never been to US before, we are coming from England!! we'll have some sun!! and we were thinking of heading to Miami to enjoy the beach and relaxing a bit, just the 2 of us!

we don't know which is better there? to take a hotel or a hostel? i've never been abroad before, so i don't know which one to pick!

we have found this for the hostel: Hostels in Miami - Book Online at Hostelworld.com
    and this for the hotel: Cheap Miami hotels, Florida, United States - 341 hotels from 25

if someone has good experience either in a hotel or a hostel, let me know!

see you!

Hi Mathilda, welcome to 411.

Good question about hotel vs hostels, so I moved your post to the hotels forum.

It all depends on how much you have to spend and what type of experience you want for your first trip away with your boyfriend. Of the two, the hotels Raleigh and Delano that are in the first link are two of the nicest hotels here, and very cheap on that website. The hostels will be packed with Spring Breakers so noisy, and you won't get much alone time with your boyfriend. I know I'd go for the hotel option of the two.

For a couple, I would go with a hotel over a hostel. Like Jess says, hostels are rather rowdy and don't offer much privacy. If you want a reasonably-priced hotel that's decent and ideally-located, I would recommend the Clay Hotel (South Beach Miami Hotel – The Clay Hotel) -- just don't stay in one of the rooms that face Washington Avenue -- it's very noisy at night. The Delano is wonderful if you can get a good deal for it, but the prices on their website started at about $420 per night!

New User

Default Re: Staying in a Hotel vs a Hostel?

Hi you two,

thanks a lot for the tips, i asked my boyfriend and you are right, a hotel will be less noisy! we will checked the hotels that you mentionned and will decide after!

thanks again!
    see you!

Hi Mathilda,

Like everyone else suggests, go for the hotel since you want to have a nice vacation with your boyfriend and that calls for privacy!

The prices on that site are great. I have a feeling when you click on your travel date the price will be higher, just because that always seems to happen on bargain sites like that. The Delano, Mondrian, and Raleigh would be a memorable experience with the Delano and Mondrian being more about the glitz and glam of Miami and the Raleigh more sophisticated. One word of caution about these hotels-you will spend a lot on food and drinks. Like $90 for breakfast, $65 for lunch with no drinks, and $250 for dinner with cocktails. So be prepared for that! The drinks alone begin at $15.

My picks on that list as far as staying somewhere nice but more affordable would be:

Hotel National-great pool scene and right on the beach and a 4 star hotel.

Catalina Hotel-right across the street from the larger hotels on Collins and a younger vibe, more of party hotel. The pool on the roof is small but there are usually plenty of beds available. I think the hotel also provides complimentary beach lounge chairs, but you should double check.

Good luck planning!

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Default Re: Staying in a Hotel vs a Hostel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathilda View Post
    Hi everyone,

my boyfriend has some family in Orlando, so we decided to go there for our spring break!!
    we are so excited about it!! i've never been to US before, we are coming from England!! we'll have some sun!! and we were thinking of heading to Miami to enjoy the beach and relaxing a bit, just the 2 of us!

we don't know which is better there? to take a hotel or a hostel? i've never been abroad before, so i don't know which one to pick!

we have found this for the hostel: Hostels in Miami - Book Online at Hostelworld.com
    and this for the hotel: Cheap Miami hotels, Florida, United States - 341 hotels from 25

if someone has good experience either in a hotel or a hostel, let me know!

see you!
    Not knowing your ages, keep this in mind, many hoteliers will not let anyone under 21 check into a hotel room without an adult that is over 25. Some have even stricter requirements.

That said, for moderate hotels, I like The South Seas, The Bently, The Marseilles, Courtyard Marriott (great rooftop pool), and the Doubletree Surfcomber.

My choice is definitely a hotel over a hostel.