• Desert Inn (Sunny Isles)

0 0%
  • Colonial Inn (Sunny Isles)

1 12.50%
  • Beau Rivage (Bal Harbor area)

1 12.50%
  • Singapore (Bal Harbor Area)

2 25.00%
  • The Saxony (Northern portion of South Beach)

0 0%
  • The Sans Souci (Northern portion of South Beach)

1 12.50%
  • The Americana (Bal Harbor)

0 0%
  • The Pan American (Sunny Isles) (originally "restricted")

1 12.50%
  • The Suez (Sunny Isles)

1 12.50%

Default Old Hotel pictures from before 1970

I'm having trouble finding pictures and information about Miami Beach hotels prior to the South/Miami Beach renaissance. I want to look at images of the classic hotel and motel guest rooms, lobby, beach and pool from back in the day. Preferably before 1980 and better yet, the 40's, 50's and 60's. I can't find anything on line I know there's stuff out there. It would be a hoot for the younger party animal generations.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Zippyjet, have you seen these vintage photos of Miami Beach? You can find some old hotel pictures in the "Roman Pool" gallery.

I love old hotel photos and memorabilia. The Eden Roc, The Raleigh and The Richmond hotels still have a lot of a their old charm. The Sherbrooke is another beautifully restored Art Deco boutique hotel in South Beach.

Do you remember the hotel on Collins that used to house the Hirschfeld Theatre? I can't remember the name.

Would you be interested in writing a featured article about your favorite classic hotel/motel? Featured articles are posted here, and earn $100!

Suzanne C

I don't remember the name but when I was a kiddie, I remember my dad taking me a few times to some hotel on the beach that had a cool 1950s car motif. Anyone know the place I'm speaking of?

I just left daddy a voicemail so hopefully he'll remember...

Dear Suzy:
    The hotel you're talking about is the Howard Johnson's Dezerland located at 8701 Collins Ave.
    They still have the old cars in thier restaurant that serves mediocre food. As a matter of fact, I've gone to the excellent Nirvana Spa. Here's a link and you can see for yourself. This hotel was built in 1952 and was originally the Biltmore Plaza, then became a Holiday Inn before becoming Dezerland. The hotel looks a bit worn and tatty and is showing it's age. The restaurant with the cars has not gotten rave reviews on it's food. It sort of smells like the old snack bars at K-Mart. Also, you get the smells of the spa (saunas/platza leaves) wafting into the lobby. The hallways of this hotel remind me of the old dingy hallways of the Complex high rise dorms at my alma mater the University of Maryland at College Park. :-)

Tripadvisor
    Venere

Quote Originally Posted by zippyjet
    The hallways of this hotel remind me of the old dingy hallways of the Complex high rise dorms at my alma mater the University of Maryland at College Park. :-)
    Perhaps a bit off topic, but I'm a Maryland alum as well - class of 1989. I lived in Easton Hall overlooking University Blvd. for a couple of years. What dorm were you in?

Suzy - considering your previously discussed high school exploits at the Days Inn, does that mean it would also qualify as a "classic" hotel? :P

Hi Zippyjet, did you also check the city's website? There is another public archive that's very comprehensive but a bit difficult to search. I've missplaced the link so I'll post it here as soon as I hear back from the city clerk's office.

Also, it's a pity you missed this exhibit! The HMSF has a great archive of historical photographs.

Here is the link to the city's public archive.

Suzanne C

Thank you zippyjet!

I think I may have been 10 or so but I remember we were out by the pool and they had a Twist contest to Chubby Checker...man that concrete hurts when you twist your feet.

And no S1l, never partied there....just the few times I went there as a kiddie.

New User

I've got a bit of an obsession with Miami Beach and its history. I would love if we could get a thread going with a "Then & Now" theme. If i am late on this and there is already one out there, please send me the link! If not, I think it would be cool to organize a collection of pictures of locations all around Miami from past and present years. I love to see how things have changed and stayed the same over the years