we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By djskuba

Thread: New guy!

New User

Cool New guy!

Hey all!

I've been browsing this site for a while now and have found it quite helpful. I moved to Hialeah on the 6th of Jan and am still trying to get settled in. I lived in Marathon for a year with my dolphin-training fiance and absolutely loved it! I love being in the water and around it. I worked at Bahia Honda State Park (and still do some weekends) doing the snorkel tours and I love to dive and spearfish.
    I moved to the area to go to MDC for radiology. Do you guys have any tips on getting a small job? I just need something to pay rent. I'm working on my spanish, but it's slow and that is affecting me slightly on the job hunt.
    By the way, I love the article on the traffic here! It's great! I lived in a Raleigh, NC for 4 years and I've been in Miami a decent amount since I lived only 2 hours away, but I cannot get used to the horn usage ALL THE TIME! I've gotten to the point where I'll try to time the lights so when they change I can get moving in a hurry so 15 cars don't lay on the horn.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I lived in the Keys for only a year but I know a lot about the middle and lower Keys, so feel free to ask any questions about places or travel.

Thanks,
    Coy
    Last edited by djskuba; 01-26-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Default Re: New guy!

Hi Coy, welcome to the forums at MiamiBeach411!

That's quite a move, from the Florida Keys to Hialeah. I am glad you enjoyed the article on beating the Miami traffic. It's no fun is it?

Going into radiology is very impressive. Which campus are you attending?

As for a job, what are you interested in? I am sure there are retail places that are hiring. I doubt you need to speak Spanish, even though I'm sure it would help.
    djskuba likes this.

New User

Hey,

The move wasn't that bad. I've lived in ok size cities before and the Keys prepare you for the Hispanic culture if you've never been exposed to it before. I'm in a pretty good area. Liberty city starts about 10 blocks E of me but Liberty Square is over 3 miles so I'm getting along pretty good.

I'm currently at the Medical center campus. Most of the classes for the Radiology program are only offered there. However, I do go to the gym at the North campus as it is closer and it's a pretty nice fitness center .

As jobs are concerned, I don't really care to be honest. Retail is what I was looking at. I worked at Best Buy for 2 years so you think It'd be easy to go right in, but all retail stores are basically "laying off" their seasonal help. The Christmas help usually works up until the 1st or 2nd week in Jan. then they are let go so it's been tough in that department. I've applied at the movie theaters around me for all positions, but hoping for a projectionist position as I love movies and film. One big area I haven't broken into is food. I've never waited or bused tables before (I know! How have I not? ). So I may try that, but with 0 experience that won't be easy.

No Spanish in Hialeah? DAYUM. Good luck with that, bro.

Most retail stuff there will require some Spanish. MY suggestion would be to look more in the Beach and Coral Gables. Even there they may require you to speak Spanish, but not nearly as much as anything in or around Hialeah.

What about midtown? There is a big Target, Ross, Marshall's, Sports authority etc...

New User

Thanks for the heads up on midtown! I haven't tried any places there yet. I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow...

New User

First time at a laundromat ever, was tonight in downtown Hialeah. I should probably get on that Spanish pretty quick! It was quite the experience!
    mirna likes this.