• 1 Post By rk
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By rk
  • 2 Post By RR33139

Thread: Hi from Madrid, Spain

New User

Default Hi from Madrid, Spain

Hi there.

My name is Dany, im from Madrid(Spain), and im thinking about going Florida with my girlfriend for working there.
    I found one post that you have in the spanish section with very usefull information.

Im 30 years old, and for living which sites you recommend me for looking for rent apartments?. Thanks!

Default Re: Hi from Madrid, Spain

Hi Dany,

i suggest starting with Craigslist. That's how I found my first apartment from overseas. It will give you a good idea of pricing and areas.

Be warned though, there are scammers on there too, so never send money or bank details before you are in Miami.
    oskuro likes this.

HI,

Are you permanently moving to Miami? Or just visiting for a few months? For a 1 year lease, you can search apartments by city on MarcSellsMiami.com - If you need something short term, that is more difficult.

Craigslist can be a daunting task and if you aren't familiar with Miami and the various parts of the city, I would advise against.

Do you have a job lined up and money saved? Read the other posts on here about what's required when re-locating to Miami so you are better prepared.

Good luck!
    oskuro likes this.

Ah, also, do you have a work Visa?
    oskuro likes this.

New User

Hi! Nope i dont have a work visa, i was planning of going to Florida but i dont have a job there waiting for me(in florida). I have a work here in Madrid(Spain), but i want changes and would like to move to florida. My girlfriend also wants to, as she could work as a spanish teacher for the US. Gobernment, but in my case, i will have to find a joob by myself using internet, or maybe when we are there living, trying to find it there, which i think would be easier, rather than trying to find a job from here(spain).

We just need a "cheap" apartment or studio... how much are they?.(more less).

Money saved yeah, i have, thats why maybe its better to find 1st an apartment or studio, and later try to find a job when im physically there in florida.

thanks!

rk

Are you planning a move to Florida, or to Miami? Housing costs vary a lot depending on location (cheaper in most of Florida compared to Miami).

A visa should be your number one concern. It is not enough to arrive on a tourist visa and hope to find a job. Check these earlier threads:

Would like to find a job in Miami!!
    How do people from Europe manage to live in Miami?
    oskuro likes this.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Are you planning a move to Florida, or to Miami? Housing costs vary a lot depending on location (cheaper in most of Florida compared to Miami).

A visa should be your number one concern. It is not enough to arrive on a tourist visa and hope to find a job. Check these earlier threads:

I want to move to Florida.

Ok i will check those threads, thanks

this year, when is that visa lottery? if i apply, and they give me the visa, im oblied to travel to USA? , or how much time i have for travelling to the USA with that Visa?
    Last edited by oskuro; 09-23-2013 at 04:31 AM.

New User

I found this:

DV 2015 Program: Online registration for the DV 2015 Program will begin on Tuesday, October 1, 2013 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), and conclude on Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4).

i have to wait till 2015 to be able to travel to the USA????. So, if i want to travel earlier, and cant wait to that diversity visa program, i will have to find another way to obtain a visa i guess....!
    Last edited by oskuro; 09-23-2013 at 05:39 AM.

New User

I cant wait till the end of 2015 lol if i go to live there, would be in 2014....!! 2015 its so far away :/

It takes a really long time to get a visa for any country to live permanently.
    oskuro likes this.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by oskuro View Post
    ... if i apply, and they give me the visa, im oblied to travel to USA? , or how much time i have for travelling to the USA with that Visa?
    IF you get the DV lottery visa (less than a 1% chance in most cases), there will be some paperwork which can take up to 6 months before the visa is actually issued. After the visa is issued, you normally have 3 or 4 months to travel to the US. So, overall figure 6 to 12 months. These numbers are not exact, please verify by other means if possible.
    oskuro likes this.

New User

lol... then i will have to go with another visa... i cant wait that long to go to the USA in case i get a job there...!!!

rk

Quote Originally Posted by oskuro View Post
    lol... then i will have to go with another visa... i cant wait that long to go to the USA in case i get a job there...!!!
    OK, good luck. Let us know which visa you went for and how it worked out.

New User

As a visitor from one of the 34 countries participating in the U.S. Visa Waiver Program, you are NOT allowed to accept employment, and your stay is up to 90 days. If upon arrival, when asked the purpose of your visit to the U.S., by the CBP (Immigration) Agent, you declare that you are seeking work, you will be denied entry and be deported, usually on the next flight back to your country. They can also ask you the length of your stay, and how you expect to support yourself. That said, you can arrive as a tourist, and look around for a job that will allow you to work without a work permit or a visa which allows employment. These jobs are very scarce and low-paying, even more so in Miami, which has relatively high unemployment and a service-based economy, unless you have connections. Before, it was easier to obtain a fake Social Security card, and ID's, but now potential employers have access to a Federal website, where your credentials can be verified.

Do not be tempted to overstay, if you are caught, you can be prohibited from entering the USA permanently or for up to ten years. My advise is to be on the up and up, be patient and obtain your visa before you come to Miami, or anywhere else in the USA.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Banned

hi