Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marxist

Thread: Greetings from Los Angeles

New User

Default Greetings from Los Angeles

Iíve been lurking here off and on for about 8 years, just grabbing bits of info here and there. I donít plan to contribute much, just continue to grab useful data when I need it. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and still live here, and I donít plan to ever leave California other than to visit other places.

However, once upon a timeÖ

ÖI first visited Miami in 1990, on a return flight from Brazil back to Los Angeles. Visiting Miami was totally by chance, as I couldnít afford a direct flight to Brazil from L.A., so consequently I was introduced to Miami. I was in my early 20ís, and up to that point, Miami was not on my radar. I wasnít even much of a ďMiami ViceĒ fan! LOL

But the vibe of the place intrigued me. And in 1990, Miami was DIRT CHEAP compared to Los Angeles. I could not believe what apartments were renting for in Miami. No comparison to Los Angeles at that time, L.A. rentals were probably 3 times more expensive.

I actually applied and was accepted to the University of Miami as an undergrad transfer a few years later, my logic being that even if the tuition was expensive, the cost of living would balance things out. I remember looking at off-campus apartments near UM and seeing 1 bedroom apartments in Coral Gables for $350 a month! Studios for $175 a month! That was the norm at that time, already unheard of in L.A. Unfortunately, illness forced me to turn down UMĎs acceptance, and I wasnít able to attend UM.

So, all these decades later, Iím again considering UM, this time Iím looking at their M.B.A. program, and I will once again be visiting the campus again to learn more about their on-campus and online offerings in the business department.

The cycle continues. ..

Default Re: Greetings from Los Angeles

I also remember when Miami was on the cheap. I hear you about housing but food is also closer now to LA's par.

It's come to the point where no state tax is only the clear benefit, provided you have one of the few decent jobs. Miami is has the worst disparity in the country when income and housing are measured.

The only thing still keeping me here is every time I go to LA, I find it worse. and more hassling. Still love it though and ready for my next fix in October.

We mentioned Langer's recently on another topic. I'll check out how clean Pico-Union got with my Pastrami. And..wow ! I hear Clifton's is reopening again next month.

I used to dissuade people from LA moving to Miami as we get a few of those. I keep quiet on that topic now as I appreciate and can now negotiate the limited worthwhile real estate that can be enjoyed. It's very limited in comparison, but works just fine.

One thing I can relate to here, is the Brazil trip via Miami. I flew National airlines ( remember them ? ) I built- in a asix hr layover in Las Vegas and made Miami before sundown. Enjoyed MB till my evening flight to Manaus the next day. It was the first time I actually lodge in MB The second time was when Gus, one of the owners of this site, got me comped at the Sherbourne because I wanted to hear Jewish ghost's yelling to be left alone before some New Yorker's wanted to make something out of this mess.

My opinion is in the minority here as it's still a f'n mess. Ya, .... I'm the MB misanthrope here. . As a LA native, it's a fine beach that you'll quickly understand. Once of the beach, It's boarded up Hollywood Blvd without the pressure to take a Scientology test.

Don't get me wrong, things happen in SoBe that are rad, but for a guy from LA, it's sh!t you've seen before.. though club scene is better.

The emphasis here is on this site is the beach. I live my life on tierra firma on the mainland when in Miami. That is where the real action is if you're ambidextrous enough to know Spanish and the various cultures of it's inhabitants down south., it's great.

I keep hearing it's tough to make friends and the transitory movement. Somewhat true, but I have the same core of friends here from 25 years ago. My point of view is probably in the minority here. So be it.

But LA,bro, I'd hang tight till your next Brazil stop-over.

New User

I think that making a permanent move to Miami isn’t really in the cards for me at this point. I would have loved to have been living there as a student attending UM in the early 90s as I had planned. I made a few visits when I got accepted to UM, so I saw just how cheap living there was then. And that was in Coral Gables! Of course, things have completely changed.

I’m hearing lots of negativity regarding the employment situation in Miami. Apart from the fact that there doesn’t seem to be too many jobs to begin with, there seems to be an abundance of low-paying jobs, rampant nepotism, employers taking advantage of Florida’s “right to work” law, discrimination against non-Spanish speakers, etc. It just seems like it’s more trouble than it’s worth now. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m not saying that the LA job market is perfect; the last six years have been rough. The job market is only starting to pick up now in LA in 2015. But stuff like nepotism, you really don’t have to worry about that here on any large scale. And knowing Spanish…well, I guess it helps in certain professions like healthcare or the courts, but nobody is going to be discriminated if they don’t know it! And there are many other foreign languages needed for jobs here: Chinese, Korean, Armenian, Farsi, Vietnamese, Russian, Arabic, etc. L.A. is big and diverse!

I hear you regarding LA being worse, although I would need to visit Miami again to make a fair comparison. Demand for housing has exceeded supply in SoCal, resulting in very expensive real estate and sky-high rentals. Homes routinely sell for quite above their asking price due to bidding from foreigners (mainly Chinese) who pay in cash. It’s ridiculous. San Francisco is even worse and is more expensive than NYC these days.

Yes, Clifton’s is returning! And Langer’s is fine; their food is always fresh since they get packed daily with DTLA workers. Pico-Union is not 100% safe, I mean, I wouldn’t walk those streets at night, but daytime is fine. And driving through there is fine even at night. Langer’s closes early, BTW, they’re not open at night. Give Pico-Union another 5 years, and I’m sure it will be close to 100% safe.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    One thing I can relate to here, is the Brazil trip via Miami. I flew National airlines ( remember them ? ) I built- in a asix hr layover in Las Vegas and made Miami before sundown. Enjoyed MB till my evening flight to Manaus the next day. It was the first time I actually lodge in MB The second time was when Gus, one of the owners of this site, got me comped at the Sherbourne because I wanted to hear Jewish ghost's yelling to be left alone before some New Yorker's wanted to make something out of this mess.
    Sounds like a wild itinerary! My first trip to Brazil, I flew on Air Paraguay!!! (Lineas Aereas Paraguayas). It was on a 707 Jet (remember those?!) from Miami to Asuncion, then from Asuncion to Sao Paulo! I connected in Miami flying on on a PanAm 747 from LAX to MIA. I was stuck at MIA for 7 hours waiting for the Air Paraguay flight! It took A WHOLE DAY (as in 24 hours) to get to Sao Paulo from the moment I left LAX ! Friggin insane! I could never do something like that now, but hey, when you're in your early 20s, you can do just about anything and enjoy it immensely! Air Paraguay was one of those little South American airlines (long out of business) that only operated out of Miami International. They had no presence at any other American airport. Not sure how many of those little airlines are still in operation these days.

>>>My opinion is in the minority here as it's still a f'n mess. Ya, .... I'm the MB misanthrope here. . As a LA native, it's a fine beach that you'll quickly understand. Once of the beach, It's boarded up Hollywood Blvd without the pressure to take a Scientology test.<<<

LOL

>>>Don't get me wrong, things happen in SoBe that are rad, but for a guy from LA, it's sh!t you've seen before.. though club scene is better.<<<

The thing for L.A. people like us, is that SoBe is so SMALL. We're used to being in such a spread-out sprawl / megalopolis...Miami is small...congested as hell with traffic, but still small geographically compared to L.A.

You could drive from Ventura County on the 101 south to the 5 south all the way to San Diego and it's like one big city...all 140 miles...every city and suburban town has expanded and you don't know where one begins and where one ends. That's SoCal.

>>>The emphasis here is on this site is the beach. I live my life on tierra firma on the mainland when in Miami. That is where the real action is if you're ambidextrous enough to know Spanish and the various cultures of it's inhabitants down south., it's great. <<<

I'll keep that in mind. My Spanish is not good, but it's improving. Ironically, my Portuguese is much better, I can actually converse in it.

>>>But LA,bro, I'd hang tight till your next Brazil stop-over.<<<

That's exactly what I will be doing in 2016. I'm planning to spend a little time in Miami before going off to Brazil again. Gotta rent a car again and drive those Miami / Gables streets. It's been too long.
    Last edited by Marxist; 12-22-2015 at 06:57 PM.

I can't believe those rent prices. That's the equivalent to a night out spending money these days.

New User

I'm not really comparing one city to the other. Each city is what it is. Like you said before, one region doesn't really have a very big advantage over another. That is true. Beyond that, it's just a matter of being wherever you're most comfortable, where you can best make living a and prosper, or whatever it is that's important to you...for me, California is my base, it's where everything is for me...I was born and raised here. I couldn't possibly make more money in Miami than I make in California, I'm convinced of that. I'd have to start all over again, and at my age, that would be scary as hell.

Once upon a time, I almost went to school there. That's the extent of me ever living there. I'm just a occasional visitor. A tourist.

To me, Miami is sort of like Las Vegas, a fun place to hang out and let loose, throw money around (or pretend to, lol)...the same crowds that hang in Vegas to party hang in Miami....the same mindset permeates both cities.

One Mr. Matt Meltzer write a very interesting article on Miami that I happened to find by chance:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...-move-to-miami

He wrote some facts about life there that will either make you want to catch the next flight to MIA or want to make you cringe and stay away. He got it right, for better or for worse.
    Last edited by Marxist; 12-22-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

I'm not really comparing one city to the other. Each city is what it is. Like you said before, one region doesn't really have a very big advantage over another. That is true. Beyond that, it's just a matter of being wherever you're most comfortable, where you can best make a living and prosper, or whatever it is that's important to you...for me, California is my base, it's where everything is for me...I was born and raised here. From what I know of the job sitch in Miami, I couldn't possibly make more money in Miami than I make in California, I'm convinced of that. I'd have to start all over again, and deal with obstacles that I never had to deal with before, and at my age, that would be scary as hell. A death wish career-wise.

Once upon a time, I almost went to school there. That's the extent of me ever living there. I'm now resigned to merely being an occasional visitor. A genuine tourist.

To me, Miami is sort of like Las Vegas, a fun place to hang out and let loose, throw money around (or pretend to, lol)...the same crowds that hang in Vegas to party also hang in SoBe....the same mindset permeates both cities.

One Mr. Matt Meltzer wrote a very interesting article on Miami that I happened to find by chance:

He wrote some facts about life there that will either make you want to catch the next flight to MIA or want to make you cringe and stay away. He got it right, for better or for worse. There's some pretty telling shit in that article. Great article , Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    I also remember when Miami was on the cheap. I hear you about housing but food is also closer now to LA's par.

It's come to the point where no state tax is only the clear benefit, provided you have one of the few decent jobs. Miami is has the worst disparity in the country when income and housing are measured.

The only thing still keeping me here is every time I go to LA, I find it worse. and more hassling. Still love it though and ready for my next fix in October.

We mentioned Langer's recently on another topic. I'll check out how clean Pico-Union got with my Pastrami. And..wow ! I hear Clifton's is reopening again next month.

I used to dissuade people from LA moving to Miami as we get a few of those. I keep quiet on that topic now as I appreciate and can now negotiate the limited worthwhile real estate that can be enjoyed. It's very limited in comparison, but works just fine.
    Last edited by Marxist; 12-26-2015 at 05:53 AM.

Yes Miami is like Las Vegas. But both have huge complexes on the outskirts of people living there. It is what you make it. If you like the quiet life, suburbs, white picket fences don't live here. It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxist View Post
    I'm not really comparing one city to the other. Each city is what it is. Like you said before, one region doesn't really have a very big advantage over another. That is true. Beyond that, it's just a matter of being wherever you're most comfortable, where you can best make a living and prosper, or whatever it is that's important to you...for me, California is my base, it's where everything is for me...I was born and raised here. From what I know of the job sitch in Miami, I couldn't possibly make more money in Miami than I make in California, I'm convinced of that. I'd have to start all over again, and deal with obstacles that I never had to deal with before, and at my age, that would be scary as hell. A death wish career-wise.

Once upon a time, I almost went to school there. That's the extent of me ever living there. I'm now resigned to merely being an occasional visitor. A genuine tourist.

To me, Miami is sort of like Las Vegas, a fun place to hang out and let loose, throw money around (or pretend to, lol)...the same crowds that hang in Vegas to party also hang in SoBe....the same mindset permeates both cities.

One Mr. Matt Meltzer wrote a very interesting article on Miami that I happened to find by chance:

He wrote some facts about life there that will either make you want to catch the next flight to MIA or want to make you cringe and stay away. He got it right, for better or for worse. There's some pretty telling shit in that article. Great article , Matt.
    You can always compare and do Moral Algebra. The Miami variant will heavily sway with her coast and a racier decadence. That's equally equalized with what LA offers , but I don't play entertain that game anymore even though I prefer crashing waves and shrinkage.

What is factual is what you stated about being comfortable. I don't think I could move back. Though some here might silently chide me I prefer Greater Orlando over the 305, the notion of " Greater Miami" doesn't exist. What's happening there, I saw when I was 17. People get exited over Wynwood, and it's hipness. Dude, in October, I noticed the dikes by the LA River still features the Cats of my youth and Korean Market owners all over town hire a gut to artfully paint the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe amongst farm and produce themes so Mara Salvathrucha doesn't desecrate. Just the mural at Farmer John's is out of Wynwood's league. You know what I'm talking about.

But just like Michael Franks, we leave LA for simpler ways of life or a better economic opportunity. Our city business is done and sealed, but I still yearn for that bustle of city sounds. I pretend to believe that exists in Miami when I'm there.

It might a person here's Shangri -la - which is cool. I come here mainly for Sea Oats, Sea Grape. And if I lived in coastal LA, I'd drive to Huntington Park and eat at a "B' rated Thai place which would win awards in MB. Dude what's happening there ? Miami is caught up in Wynwood and Edge town or whatever they call it. This is like the 20th neighborhood since I've left that has gone gentrification. Pretty soon this will sprawl into the inland Empire and even Rialto. LOL ! Developers in Miami can't even budge Little Havana or anything 15 miles from the coast.

You might want to stay where you are, unless you have the same fetish for local vegetation and warm ocean water.

I love ( my version ) of Miami but I'll never swear by it. Others might tell you and try to sell you something.

Matt's the exception here. He hates LA, and I totally cool with that. He's more an OC and I think had time W of La Brea ,which kind of explains things.

As an Angelino, you won't be fazed if Miami has Rocking Horse people that eat marshmallow pies. Some people actually dig that novelty. It's a mere freakin overdeveloped beach town that gets overwhelmed when guys from Goldman-Sachs weekend here and push over locals and claim territory at whatever expense.

Thanks Marxist glad you liked the story! I think you reflect what the majority of people who come here and really think about it end up deciding: It's fun, but living here would be near impossible.