Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Just Joined From Hawaii!

Greetings, all!
    My name is John and I live in Hawaii with my wife and two cats. I am two years from retiring from the Army and we plan to move to Miami to keep the warm streak we have going. Why Miami since we already live in paradise? I will tell you that Hawaii is not all itís cracked up to be when you live here. Yes, we have beautiful beaches and weather (not unlike Miami), but you think itís expensive to live in Miami? You think the traffic in Miami is bad? Hawaii (specifically Honolulu) has Miami beat on both counts! That, and it costs well over four figures to fly to anywhere on the mainland. Houses cost 600K or more just for a basic 3BR so you are forced to live in a condo and share it with 800 other familiesJ. Miami will be the perfect compromise between paradise and ease of living (compared to here). Also, we have been there several times and are enamored of the culture, music, food, art, architecture, you name it!

Whether or not you are happy with where you live depends greatly on your perception and your attitude. I have lived all over the world and this is so true.
    I canít wait to get there for good and welcome any advice on where to live and work. Iím an informatics nurse (Informatica) and have seen many open positions advertised so Iím hopeful in finding a good job!

John

Default Re: Just Joined From Hawaii!

Quote Originally Posted by jwisdom789 View Post
    That, and it costs well over four figures to fly to anywhere on the mainland. Houses cost 600K or more just for a basic 3BR so you are forced to live in a condo and share it with 800 other families[/FONT]J[/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000].
    $500k is about what it costs for a nice 3 bedroom house East of 95 in Miami Shores, Bicayne Park, The Roads, Coconut Grove. (none of which is walking/biking distance to the ocean).

For Miami Beach, figure $800k+ and for Surfside/North Beach, figure $600k. Only an older home in Normandy Isles (long bike ride to the beach) can you get a house for $450k-$550k.

You have to go way west to get a decent 3 bedroom house in the $300k range. (And then deal with really bad traffic on a daily basis getting to the beach or where all the fun stuff is).

I'm not going to say we're cheaper or more expensive than Hawaii, just don't want you to be under an assumption that you will get this great savings by moving to Miami. Our taxes are high, our insurance rates are the highest in the state (both car and homeowners).

If you want sun, sand, and affordability, look to the West Coast of Florida (St. pete, Treasure Island, Sarasota, Indian Rocks Beach, Clearwater Beach).

Default Re: Just Joined From Hawaii!

Hi, Marc!
    Thanks for your reply! I have no misconceptions about housing there as I have been looking online. Since we have been renting here, we have been able to start saving for a down payment and should be able to afford a decent place by the time we get there. We would buy a place here, but the house we want is way out on the leeward side of the island and the commute is a couple hours each way. I don’t mind traffic that much, but that’s a bit too much. We will be heading out there hopefully this summer and will be looking at Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, South Miami, Miami Shores and North Miami Beach areas to see which one we like best. That being said, a lot of it will depend on where we work!