Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Newbie

Red face Newbie

Hey, all.

I stumbled across this site after much research on Miami Beach.

My boyfriend and I are interested in moving there in the next 3 or so years. We're going in a couple weeks to scope it out for that reason.

We'd been looking at places further south but after much research have decided that the barrier island off Florida might be better suited for us.

We'll be staying in South Beach but flying in to FLL and driving down so we can scope out the neighborhoods.

We're from Austin, Texas and I feel that SOBE might be more our style, but we'll see. It might not be the case.

New User

Default Re: Newbie

Sounds cool; welcome to the forums!

Looking 3 years out though, wow that's interesting, why the long timeline?

South Beach is a very diverse, dynamic, and sometimes wild area.
    There are many people from different cultures and languages in the area so it helps to have a patience and tolerance with the wife wide variety of people you will encounter.

One of the my favorite things about South beach though is it's so close to many different venues within "walking distance" all yours shops, beach, coffee, good joints, bars and clubs if that's your thing.

The neighborhoods up north are much more "Laid Back", but that can be boring for some.

Good news about South FL though is all those cities in the metro are very close to each other and depending on the time of day "can be an easy ride".

If you have any question let me know I'd love to help.

Chow

-Corbin

Thanks!

2 reasons!
    1. My boyfriend's son is 16, we're waiting for that magical age of 18 (We are not the primary parent so it wouldn't be a huge impact on him).
    2. I owe my work for tuition reimbursement. They paid for my school and instead of financial pay back I promised them time. We may ultimately decide to leave in 2 instead of 3 and just pay them the remainder at that time.

Yes, South Beach sounds very much like our downtown area. I've never actually lived downtown so I'm a little concerned that it might be *too* busy, but we'll see, I think it'll be cool.
    We're not totally opposed to going north, it seems to be very similar to what we live in now. The only thing is due to the need to drive downtown we don't go to a lot of the events that we would ordinarily go to if it was more convenient.

It seems that the traffic is the same in both locations (hell with drivers that need to get wherever it is they're going with no regard to anything else). Plus side is, I'm used to that style of driving.

We were looking at the boardwalk and are pretty excited to see that if we do end up north we ought to be able to get south relatively quick (a mere 30 minute bike ride). It seems that NOBE can meet more of our needs (condos with pools near the beach without sacrificing walk score too bad).

Thanks so much for your offer, I'm pretty excited.
    I'd like to become more regular around in hopes that I can get familiar with the happenings from afar (as best as one can) and maybe make some friends in the process so the move isn't a total shock (er.. less of a complete shock )

3 years? Let's hope we aren't underwater by then.

Honestly things change SO much here in a year that any advice we gave now wouldn't be valid in 3 years. The question you should ask is why do you feel SoBe is the right place? Do you drive to work? And where is work? Cos that will play a big role on where you live. It's really only worth living in SoBe if you work here, or you work near enough downtown.

Ah, yes, hours of research in the probability of Miami being under water.. it's not deterring us as much as I thought it would, however it u making us lean more towards renting the buying. I'd hate to have a mortgage on a property that doesn't exist.

Yes, absolutely. No, we will not drive where we work. What ever we do, it will be walkable or bikeable and no question that will determine where we live.
    Ideally we'll be opening our own business but my dreams of opening a kayak bike rental were squashed. We'll come up with something soon enough, in the mean time, we're looking at what jobs are available where so we know what to expect (as best we can). We won't be moving without a job in place .

Quote Originally Posted by Asunnysnowman View Post
    Ah, yes, hours of research in the probability of Miami being under water.. it's not deterring us as much as I thought it would, however it u making us lean more towards renting the buying. I'd hate to have a mortgage on a property that doesn't exist.
    No, you'd have an insurance payout to cover the loss. Lenders require flood insurance as well as Homeowner insurance even for condos.

3 Years Jess? More like 30 years.
    jwisdom789 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    No, you'd have an insurance payout to cover the loss. Lenders require flood insurance as well as Homeowner insurance even for condos.

3 Years Jess? More like 30 years.
    I wasn't totally sure, thanks for the information.

Yes, predictions are leaning more towards 30.. it sounds like the city is trying to do a lot to help protect itself though.

Oh how the irony is lost without tone of voice...

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Oh how the irony is lost without tone of voice...
    There's a great need for a sarcastic font.