Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Potentially Moving from Cincinnati

Default Re: Potentially Moving from Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I'd love to know a good nearby bar. Titanic is ok. Like the best bar you're gonna find in that immediate area. But it's never impressed me all that much.
    Matt, no love for legendary Fox's?

Lotsa love for Fox's, Maria. I just wouldn't exactly call it "nearby."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Lotsa love for Fox's, Maria. I just wouldn't exactly call it "nearby."
    Dude, it's not even 1 mile away. One could walk from Titanic to Fox's. Anyway, I consider both to be part of the 'hood.

Carlos, how do you account for rents continuing to stay high when unemployment and salaries remain low? There's only so many rich South Americans (the demographic everyone points to as the one that's going to put money into Miami). If our unemployment remains where it is and salaries continue to stagnate, I don't think demand for high rent will continue.

Matt - I think the Brazilians are the heaviest hitters but don't underestimate monies from the Old Continent.

New User

Nick,

I just relocated over here for a job opportunity. I found that typically landlords due require the first, last and security deposit. Plus most places (condos/apt) require a application and a fee. With that said, I moved to Miami beach, right on the water which is great. My uncle is a rental agent in NYC, and he gave me the best advice ever. Everything is negotiable. I managed to get the landlord to reduce the rent on my furnished 1 bed. 1.5 bath from 1675 a month to 1500, which is still kind of ridiculous. But he was willing to allow me a few months to come up with the additional security deposit. I was moving a short notice so didn't have much time to save money. Typically places provide water, cable, internet and trash. Some have parking. Just keep looking and I'm sure you will find something. I actually work in plantation so the drive to work and home takes about 30 mins, since everyone is coming into Miami when i'm leaving and leaving when i'm coming. Good Luck!

30 minutes to Plantation, Lindsay? Even with no traffic, taking 195 that's usually 35-40 for me. What route are you taking?

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your input, Lindsay. I am also interested in know what route you take.

I know someone who lives on the beach and works 9 to 5 in Plantation. That commute can really wear you down though, even if it's less than 40 minutes. He's seriously thinking of relocating to Broward for that reason.

New User

I work night shift, so I get to avoid all the rush hour traffic. Its usually between 30-35 mins at most. I am used to driving to work, I used to drive 1 hr each way to my last job. And one time when I took a travel contract in DC, I live 15 mins from work and the drive took me 2 hrs.

I really liked South Miami. The only thing it's missing is a beach!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    Check out the Coral Way Corridor, which connects Brickell to the Gables.

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/coral-way-corridor
    Thanks for the suggestion, this area looks really interesting.

So I'm looking to book a hotel somewhere in the Coral Gables/Brickell/Downtown area for the three days I'm in Miami. Does anybody have any suggestions or places I should avoid? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but I don't want to end up in some shitty Super 8.

I was thinking about doing a "Name Your Own Price" on Priceline for the Coral Gables and Downtown areas, but as anybody who has used this feature on Priceline knows, sometime you either end up with a terrible room and/or end up paying for a full priced room anyway. Does anybody have any experience with is in the Miami area?

I would normally recommend the Extended Stay on Coral Way just outside the Gables, but that is usually for people staying a longer time because they come with kitchenettes.

But it's very central and everybody I know that has stayed there has raved about it.

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/p...les-hotel.html

There is a Holiday Inn on US 1 across from the university that might suit your needs.

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/...um/hoteldetail

Preferred Member

Seconding Carlos' recommendation of the Holiday Inn on US 1 across from UM if you want to be located somewhere in Coral Gables. It is close to the metrorail. Thus, it will be easy for you to get to Brickell, Coconut Grove, downtown, etc to explore those places. It is also close to eating places, CVS, and supermarkets, etc. Just walk up and down the road on the same side of the road of the hotel and you'll get a variety of dining places. It's a residential area surrounding the hotel. You can walk around that area and see if it's an area that you would like to live at and check out for rent signs.

If you need to go to UM, you can take the free Holiday Inn-UM shuttle - very convenient. I think it runs quite frequently. Not sure if it's still operating by the time of your visit though. Just ask the hotel receptionists abt the shuttle. I assume that they should know. It's walkable to UM, but the shuttle is quicker and more comfortable.

The University should have a corporate rate with UM. I think it's about $99 per night including buffet breakfast. Your dept's admin asst or HR can probably help u make your reservations. Or maybe you can find a better rate somewhere online...

Thanks for the suggestions Perri and Carlos. So it turns out UM has corporate rates with a ton of hotels, both in Miami and all over the world.

http://www.miami.edu/finance/index.p...gement/hotels/

I'm currently leaning toward Hotel Urbano. It has good reviews on their google maps profile.

Hi Nick,

I recently looked at apartments in Brickell, and like Matt said, the rents have sky-rocketed. But, you can hop on the metro-rail to UM, you have a small selection of bars/restaurants (small but they're all pretty nice-minus Blue Martini), and you'll be living in new construction with parking and lots of other young professionals. No beach within walking distance is the only downside.

I checked out a few places and the one I'd choose would be Met1, which is technically not Brickell but Downtown Miami. All brand new, 600 sq ft one bed for $1400 or $1500..cable is also included but I was told to avoid the downtown area at night, and instead walk over the bridge to Brickell.

I think you should also consider Mirador or the Flamingo on West Ave. in South Beach..similar/can be slightly less than Brickell and you have a professional crowd on that street.

Oh wow. That UM discount is good to know about. Thanks NickB!

NickB, I third the Holiday Inn suggestion, but if you want a cheap, no -frills hotel right next to the South Miami metrorail station, check out Miami's Best Hotel. Friends of mine stay there to save $$$ and so do a lot of tourists who go to Port of Miami who just need a place to park overnight without spending big bucks. The hotel offers a pick up/drop off shuttle from the airport too. You can walk across US1 and will be in the very nice part of South Miami.

Mind you, it's no frills, but not horrible either, especially if you are not going to spend a lot of time in your room.

Other than that, go for the Holiday Inn. As Perri mentioned, it's in a great section of Coral Gables bordering the South Miami/university community.

So I got a room at the Courtyard in Coral Gables. It looks to be a bit away from campus, but I got a good deal on it. That part of town looks kinda nice to (at least on Google Streetview). I'll definitely be down for getting drinks with a couple of you folks with I'm down there.

Thanks again everybody for all your help. I cannot wait to move down to Miami.

Nick

NickB, Courtyard on LeJeune is in a very nice location. It's not right off campus, but close enough. You'll be right on the edge of the heart of downtown Coral Gables, which is full of great restaurants and bars. We should meet at The Local which has a great selection of craft brews. What do you think?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast