Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Potentially Moving from Cincinnati

Default Potentially Moving from Cincinnati

Hi All

I'm currently living in Cincinnati but will probably end up moving to the Miami area in January. I'll be working at the University of Miami, making around $65K-$75K a year starting. It won't be a permanent move (no longer than 3 years) so I'll definitely be renting. After reading the excellently written Miami Relocation Guide, I've come to the assumption that I probably can't live in Coral Gables and that either the Brickell or Coconut Grove areas of town would be the best places to look for a place to live.

Does anybody else have any other suggestions for places to live? I really hate sitting in traffic, and would prefer to be close to my place of employment. I also really despise suburbs.

Also, If I'm looking to spend $800-$1000 on rent a month, can I find something liveable (1.5-2 bedrooms, all appliances, etc.) in Brickell or Coconut Grove, or anywhere else that is moderately close to Coral Gables?

Many Thanks!

Nick

Default Re: Potentially Moving from Cincinnati

In short, no. You teally won't find a 2 BR anywhere in Miami for $1000. Maybe way out in Kendall, which is suburban Hell. Maybe in North Beach or that area, but you're looking at 50-55 minutes to UM from there.

At your price range, your best bet is gonna be a small studio or 1 BR in the Grove or Gables. Brickell has shot up revently, studios there are starting at like $1500. It's insane.

With what you're making, you can probably afford $1500 or so a month in rent assuming the rest of your expenses are minimal. I'd say go with Brickell as you can actually take the Metrorail straight to UM and never sit in traffic. But the Grove isn't a bad commute at all. 10-15 minutes typically.

If you want a 2 BR in Brickell, the Grove or the Gables, start thinking more in the $1800-$2000 range. That's a lot, but it sounds like you're making a decent salary so you should be fine.

Incidentally, I also work at UM. What are you gonna be doing there?

nick, for a little perspective, i just got a studio at the north end of Miami Beach for 800/month - and i was lucky to get it - that's pretty much a steal around these parts....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    In short, no. You teally won't find a 2 BR anywhere in Miami for $1000. Maybe way out in Kendall, which is suburban Hell. Maybe in North Beach or that area, but you're looking at 50-55 minutes to UM from there.

At your price range, your best bet is gonna be a small studio or 1 BR in the Grove or Gables. Brickell has shot up revently, studios there are starting at like $1500. It's insane.

With what you're making, you can probably afford $1500 or so a month in rent assuming the rest of your expenses are minimal. I'd say go with Brickell as you can actually take the Metrorail straight to UM and never sit in traffic. But the Grove isn't a bad commute at all. 10-15 minutes typically.

If you want a 2 BR in Brickell, the Grove or the Gables, start thinking more in the $1800-$2000 range. That's a lot, but it sounds like you're making a decent salary so you should be fine.

Incidentally, I also work at UM. What are you gonna be doing there?
    Thanks for the info. I didn't even realize there was a Metrorail in Miami. Are there any other neighborhoods right off the Metrorail that would be worth looking at? Maybe downtown?

I'm generally out the door pretty early in the morning, so if I were to move to the north beach area, is rush hour traffic really that bad at 6:30 - 7:30? I'm assuming that Miami, as with most big cities, has really bad traffic heading into downtown in the morning (7:30-9:30) and worse traffic leaving downtown in the afternoon (3:30 - 6). Thus, if I lived in north beach (or south beach for that matter) wouldn't I be going the opposite way of rush hour traffic? Oh course, I defer to the experts as I've only ever been to Miami over New Years.

I'll be a research scientist at UM, working in the chemistry department. The financials of the deal aren't done yet, but UM would be paying about 1/3 of my salary and an outside agency paying the rest. I could afford a $1500 per month apartment, but I'm just graduating from school and would like to get on top of my student loans and credit card debt (nothing too serious).
    Last edited by NickB; 08-14-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Preferred Member

You can take a look at this housing database to familiarize yourself with what u can get in the different neighborhoods for the amount u r willing to spend.
    https://public.cgcent.miami.edu/off-...frmSearch.aspx

Here's some Off Campus Apartment Complex Listings for you to have some more idea about the rental rates here.
    https://www6.miami.edu/housing/pdfs/...r_June2011.pdf

You can also look at realtor.com to check out the rental listings.

Even though u r not a student, some of the info. on this page is useful for those unfamiliar with the renting "rules" here, e.g. 3 months' upfront rental payment, condo application and processing fees, etc.
    http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/re...sing_handbook/

Quote Originally Posted by Perri View Post

Even though u r not a student, some of the info. on this page is useful for those unfamiliar with the renting "rules" here, e.g. 3 months' upfront rental payment, condo application and processing fees, etc.
    http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/re...sing_handbook/
    Although I haven't fully read all the links you posted (and, THANK YOU for doing so), I'm not seeing anything in regards to 3 months of rent being payed upfront. Is this really that common? This seems a bit ridiculous, especially on a $1000 a month place. Two months rent seems more reasonable (paying for the first month and a security deposit that equals one month).

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    Although I haven't fully read all the links you posted (and, THANK YOU for doing so), I'm not seeing anything in regards to 3 months of rent being payed upfront. Is this really that common? This seems a bit ridiculous, especially on a $1000 a month place. Two months rent seems more reasonable (paying for the first month and a security deposit that equals one month).
    Yes, it is pretty standard here. You have to pay the first month, last month and 1-month security deposit upfront. There could be some cases where the owner is willing to reduce this, but not often though.

Yeah, assume 3 months.

Your problem with moving to North Beach and rush hour is that downtown is about halfway between there and UM. So you'll catch the Southbound 95 nightmare going to work, and the northbound nightmare going home. And you can't take the HOT lanes because your exit is before they end. US-1, yes, that will be a reverse commmute. But one accident on there and it's just as bad. And that happens about once a week.

As I said, even with NO traffic north Beach is a 45-50 minute drive to UM because it's so far from the freeway. I wouldn't recommend it if you want to cut down your commmute time.

If you hate traffic, you've picked a terrible city. Traffic here rivals LA & NY and the drivers are actually worse (look at the articles put out each year about worst drivers, unfriendliest drivers, dangerous cities to drive, etc.). You make $65k but only want to spend $800? I'm assuming there is some expensive car or student loan payments factored in there? your best bet would be to rent a place near the college and just be forced to live with college students. I have a small , safe, updated 1 bedroom in South Beach and its $1300. Brickell for 1bedrooms is $1500 minimum because the high rises are RIDICULOUSLY nice so the HOA fees kill the owners. ($900+ for a 1 bedroom).

Yes, these stupid landlords ask for 1st/last/security and most of them get it unfortunately because people don't put their foot down and say no enough like my wife and I. We absolutely refuse and then laugh as the place sits vacant an extra month and they lose the money they were demanding from us. I really blame the realtors, they do a terrible job for the most part in Miami. They are some of the laziest and unfriendliest people you will encounter. A smart realtor would say to a landlord when I arrive with an offer would be "Hey, I have this husband and wife couple, long time FL residents, good job history, great credit, good income, rented from dozens of landlords with great references, etc." Instead, they just tell us NO and we tell them to F-Off and then watch the listing on the MLS go from 4 days on Market to 30 days or rented and then relist it 3 months later cuz they evicted someone.

I digress....

If you can really afford $1700, move to a amazing 1 bed, 1.5 bath 28th floor condo with balcony, brand new appliances, roof top pool, valet parking, Sauana, Gym, marble shower, tile floors, with Cable/water/Internet included with only 1 month deposit and really ENJOY miami. You have the metro stop right in Brickell so no traffic and then you can walk or take the mover to Mary Brickell Village and enjoy fun nights at Blue Martini ..........or take the mover to AA Arena and watch Lebron destroy the Cavs :-)
    Christy likes this.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post

Matt is totally right. I would like to add that for units priced at starting rates in their respective areas, they tend to be in older buildings and the apartment units are usually not updated, nevertheless functional and livable.

I think it's commendable that NickB is financially prudent and puts getting rid of his student loans and CC debt as a top priority. It's totally worth it to "rough it out" for the first year or so, and be debt-free henceforth.

NickB, I would suggest that you do a househunting trip and look at places that are less than $1000, ie. the 1 bedroom apartments in Coral Gables or South Miami (living near means saving money and time on transportation as well), and also the 2 bedroom apartments wherever they are that do not go over your preferred budget by too much (and factor in the transportation cost and commuting time), and then decide on the trade-offs that you are willing to make.
    Last edited by Perri; 08-16-2011 at 01:10 PM.

FWIW the 'three months' move-in cost is common in many cities - it's totally NOT a 'miami' thing. I've had to pony up first month, last month, AND one month security as the standard move-in cost, for every apartment i've ever lived in over the past 20 years or so -- in Philadelphia, Colorado, and Arizona ... it's pretty standard. In my experience it's actually more common than only the 'first month+one month security' deposit scenario.

and ironically - the apt i just got in Miami did not require it..... no application fee, heck - no application at all - they just had me write all my info on a piece of paper, and checked me out that way; and only asked for the one month security deposit. who knew!
    Last edited by Catt; 08-16-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Sobespace, the traffic in Miami, though bad, is not in the league below the league of NY or LA. Atlanta, San Francisco, Chicago, DC and Dallas are all MUCH worse. Primarily because those cities are much more spread out and work isn't as concentrated. Hell, I've been in Seattle all week and spent more time sitting in traffic than I typically do in Miami.

Not to say traffic isn't bad here. It's terrible. But not THAT bad and wholly avoidable if you plan your day right.

So I sat down and figured I could spend about $1500 a month on a place if I want and still live pretty comfortably. Other than Brickell and Coconut Grove, are there any other worthwhile places to live that are close to the Metrorial? Say downtown or South Miami? Any buildings in particular I should check out?

Also, I'm thinking about trying to learn Spanish once I get situated. I'm assuming I could probably find some college kid to tutor me, but does anybody know of any good (and cheap) Spanish classes?

South Miami is nice. Maria will rave up and down about it, and I think it's a nice area. Probably wouldn't be my top choice as a young person, but it is convenient to the Metrorail and to UM. Also, a LOT cheaper.

That said, I think the nightlife there leaves a lot to be desired. It is better than it was 5 years ago, but still I've never had a great night out there.

Being close to amazing nightlife would be nice, but I honestly don't see myself going more than twice a week (on average), so its not a deal breaker. From what I've been reading on these board, I get the feeling that if I was moving to an area exclusively for nightlife I should be looking at SoBe and not Brickell or Coconut Grove anyway. Nightlife wise, is South Miami better or worse than Brickell/Coconut Grove?

By the way, I just landed this job through UM Won't be starting until mid-February or March though.

South Miami nightlife worse is worse than Brickell and Coconut Grove. I can't think of one place you'd go... no offense to the locals there but if you want a nightlife scene, you'd head first to Brickell, then to the Grove. The Grove is young too, full of students. So if you want a night of beer pong, then great. But if you want a bit more sophistication, Brickell is your place.

South Miami actually seems to be surpassing the Grove among most mainland locals I know as a nightlife destination. Irish times, RA Sushi, Town kitchen, Bougainvillea's are all packed on the weekends. Like uncomfortably packed. There's 3 or 4 other spots I'm not thinking of, but it's a lot more popular of a nightlife location than it was even 3 years ago.

I'm not a fan of going out down there because that really isn't my crowd. But it boasts a lot of nightlife options that young professionals (all of whom live with their parents, but, hey, when in Rome) seem to like.

Hi NickB, welcome to forums. Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread. Matt is right, I will rave about South Miami! I'm a Miami native, went to undergrad and grad school at UM and lived right at the border of South Miami and Coral Gables during my college years, during which time I was also teaching on campus and part of that I was actually staff when I took a hiatus from school. I can't emphasize enough how awesome it is to be able to walk, bike, take the metrorail or have a ridiculously short drive to campus. South Miami rocks!

I moved to the beach for about 10 years and have recently come back "home" ... I love it here ... you have all the benefits of a great little downtown area but it's clean and pretty safe ... family friendly without being obnoxiously so. (I don't have kids, so I prefer a neighborhood that's safe but still fun.) We are not suburban Kendall in South Miami but kind of have the best of both worlds here.

Being close to campus is a HUGE plus and you have everything you need at your fingertips, including fun and interesting bars like Titanic & Cervezas (two brew pubs within blocks of each other if you enjoy craft beers!), Bougainvilleas, Fox's etc ; plus so many restaurants, two major supermarkets, a post office, banks, movie theater, french bakery, other conveniences and even a bowling place. I could go on and on. And if you want to go to Brickell, Gables, Grove or the beach for socializing, well that's not a big deal drive at all. I don't even think twice about it.

Also, I happen to be a tree hugger and just love being surrounded by lush tropical foliage. You'll get that for sure in South Miami and this section of the Gables.

The only drawback? There aren't tons of apartments here. But it's doable and I encourage you to check it out. Look for places as close as possible to Sunset Place. There is also a section of South Miami bordering on Pinecrest where there are tons of apartment communities. This is right around the Dadeland North metrorail station.

Last I checked a two bedroom in my building was going for your price range, but this is a condo, not a rental community. This included parking as well.

Hope this helps!

Oh I forgot to add: our forum member Perri recommended a good realtor for relocating to an area close to campus ... Perri, could you share that information again here? Many thanks.

NickB, there are a few buildings around the Winn Dixie in South Miami. I can't vouch for them personally, but for example, Mayan Towers is a rental community. I hear more of the undergrad kids live in the lo-rise, not the tower. The location is superb -- walk to metrorail. Campus is a 1 mile walk.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast