Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: It's Official: Moving December 1 - There's no backing out now

Default Re: It's Official: Moving December 1 - There's no backing out now

Hi Roger and Shanell, you're welcome and please keep us posted! Good luck with your condo search.

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Hi Sorry,

How's your apt hunt going? I recently visited Brickell to apartment hunt. If you can get a good deal at the Conrad hotel, it's a nice home base, and I recommend Balan's for breakfast. The rents are really high but $1500 still buys you more than if you were apartment hunting Hoboken. Most new construction places come with a parking space which great. Take a look at Met 1. It's in downtown Miami but it's brand new, and you'll be the first person to live in the building. I absolutely love the Infinity..gorgeous. If your budget allows that's the place I'd choose.
    I'll be in Miami to go over the short list I've made with the realtor. I'll have to check the price on infinity and add it to the list. I'm more fond of South Beach than Downtown honestly. Especially since most of Dec I'll be working from what I hope to be an apartment with a Balcony rather than trek into the Miami office. It'll give me some time to get my ducks in a row. Will update you guys on my apt hunt as I scheduled my trip to cover Halloween in South beach too

Thank you, Sorry! Good luck and we look forward to your updates.

New User

Well we have put down a deposit for river oaks tower and marina. Gotta great view of downtown, they were super nice, good incentives and pretty close to brickell. Now to move in two weeks!

Hi Driven1, congrats! Let us know how that goes. We don't have any forum members now who are river residents, so we'd love to hear about your new lifestyle. Good luck with the move and of course, let us know if you have any more questions.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    I have not personally been to Sewell Park yet, but I have heard Dr. Paul George talk about it many times (he is Miami's pre-eminent historian and tour guide). I took a history class with him at Miami Dade College and I unfortunately missed the one class where he took students to Sewell Park, which has some interesting history to it, including an Indian cave that's not open to the public. The park itself is the former garden of Gen Samuel Lawrence, a botanical enthusiast who planted trees there in the 19th century.

Weekend days there are plenty of boats going through and I have seen people picnic there when I've passed by on watercraft, but as mentioned above, there are also some homeless people, yet I'm not sure it's particularly dangerous. It's definitely a nice green spot on the river, with some very pretty royal palm trees. Back in the day, the river was a huge attraction with mock Indian villages and alligator farms....
    Yes, General Lawrence, Civil War hero and pioneer snowbird from Massachusetts. He is also the person who brought the Japanese gardener Tashiro from California to Miami. After a couple of years Tashiro left to work for Fisher on Miami Beach, and later started the Miami Beach Nurseries at the corner of 41 St and Chase Ave.

I did not know there was an Indian cave at Sewell Park. I thought the caves there were the byproduct of canals dug much later. Thanks for that information.

Hmm, RK ... regarding the caves, I thought that's what Dr. G told us. But let me fact check with him.

I forgot about Tashiro having gone there first before Fisher contracted him. Thanks for bringing that up! That explains the royal palms ...

I am embarrassed I have to ask this, but where is Sewell Park?

rk

Maria, yes will be interesting if Dr. George has information. In the meantime I did some web browsing and found the caves may be owned by the Miccousukee Tribe:

...we crossed the road to the other side of the bridge aside the park, and Viola! - there along the water was the gated entrance to the cave, with a sign warning trespassers to not enter the Miccosukee property. Well, at least it was really there!
    The above is from: http://www.sunfunguide.com/sunfun/sewellpark.html

and then there is the following excerpt from http://www.miaminewtimes.com/content...ersion/234810/

One of the most enduring mysteries regarding local architecture concerns the Miami River caves. Located on a little creek that runs south from the Miami River near NW Seventeenth Avenue, the caves are in fact two seven-foot-tall caverns roughly the size of small studio apartments. Most cave scholars agree they are man-made, but from there opinions diverge. One theory holds that the caves were used by nineteenth-century pioneers along the river for coonti storage. However, some historians believe it's more likely that the caves date from the early part of the century and were used by bootleggers to stow liquor during Prohibition. According to Paul George, bootleggers and the U.S. Coast Guard engaged in a shootout just up the river from the site.

The caves may also contain a link to Native Americans. The son of a man who used to own the land around the caves says Indians regularly conducted rituals there. John Detrick, owner of the Americana Bookstore in Coral Gables and a self-styled river rat, offers yet another theory. He says that during World War II, stateside Third Reich sympathizers dug the caves and stocked them full of supplies for U-boats. The submarines, he insists, used to pull right up to the cave mouth so the Nazis could load them up. "And," he adds, "the caves are also a breeding ground for Yetis."
    That link from a 1993 article also contains other interesting trivia about Miami folklore.

and this is from a marker erected in the park by the city parks dept (at least they were planning to, not sure if it was actually erected):

...Nearby are oolitic limestone caves that are well-known to early Miami residents, said to have been made from solution holes enlarged during construction of an inland waterway.
    (solution holes are a variant of sinkholes, caused by water and chemical erosion)

Finally, here is a photo of the caves from http://www.wpbt2.org/miamiriver/oc/p...cpreview8.html
    The caption for this picture reads:
    "One of many caves located south of the NW 17th Avenue Bridge and within General Samuel Crocker Lawrence’s former estate; the caves were said to have been made by solution holes that were enlarged during the construction of the Lawrence Canal"

Name:  Sewell-Park-Cave-01.jpg
Views: 3832
Size:  94.2 KB

rk

Matt, Sewell Park is on the Miami River, near the NW 17'th Ave bridge. It's near the center on the map below:
    (named after E.G. Sewell, mayor Maimi in the 1920's and 30's.)

Name:  Sewell_Park-Map.JPG
Views: 2167
Size:  109.5 KB

Wonderful research RK! Thank you so much! It made the history nerd in me swoon a little. :-)

No doubt those caves have to be gated off because surely it would end up as a drug den or used for evil intent. I would be the first one to want to explore it though. A bit off topic, but there are some seriously beautiful underwater caves in North Florida, but you have to be scuba ready to explore them.

A friend of mine and I have been trying to plan a picnic at Sewell for over a year now! Maybe we could do a 411 meetup there in the cooler months on a weekend.

John Sewell, E.G. Sewell's brother (the park is his namesake) is buried at the Miami cemetery just north of downtown.
    Name:  3392512087_033dbfc700.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  292.1 KB

I took this shot of the park when I did the Miami River Tour with Dr. G.

Name:  2803521660_0d56dc16d7.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  176.2 KB
    rk likes this.

Damn. I lived about 5 blocks from there for a year and had no idea. Well, I'll have to go visit now. Looks like it's walking distance from the new Marlins Stadium.

Hey all! Been in miami apt hunting a few days now. Sadly the majority of South beach rentals are in poor shape and the market isn't fill. Saw one place in brickell that was just amazing for the buck.

Hi Sorry,

It's technically not in Brickell, but Met1 is really nice for the money. I believe for a small one bed it's $1400 or $1500, with cable and internet included. It's a brand new building and you can just go to the leasing office. I agree that lots of rentals in SoBe are in need of renovation. You can find some nice apartments, you just have to keep looking. SO how are you liking Miami so far?

Maria posted about a meet up on another thread. You should try to make it!

south beach has been great loads of friendly people. I think I will go to Axis after seeing a load of buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Hi Sorry,

It's technically not in Brickell, but Met1 is really nice for the money. I believe for a small one bed it's $1400 or $1500, with cable and internet included. It's a brand new building and you can just go to the leasing office. I agree that lots of rentals in SoBe are in need of renovation. You can find some nice apartments, you just have to keep looking. SO how are you liking Miami so far?

Maria posted about a meet up on another thread. You should try to make it!
    Hey any info on the meetup? couldn't find the thread.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
    Hey any info on the meetup? couldn't find the thread.
    Look towards the end of this other thread:

Potentially Moving from Cincinnati

Aww thanks...I was hoping to go but I won't officially move to Miami on Dec 1st.

Final Update on the Move.
    My last flight stateside will be Dec 1st.
    Keys and final walk through of the Apt are about 2hrs after I land.
    Amazon is sending loads of stuff to my apt(Thank god for Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals)

I really owe it to my realtor and need to give her a shout out as I only had 1 week and she helped me so very much to find the right place.
    I went from knowing I wanted Brickell or SoBe, to looking at 20+ units most on the first day, decide on an area, look further into the area, apply to the apt, sign all the documents, and get approval. I hit the ground running and there's not many realtors that do that. She picked me up from the hotel to apt hunt. drove me around the various areas, walked between close places...the effort and help she gave me is unmatched. I can't even imagine how far ahead she planned regarding everything but not much time was wasted...heck I even had down time to lay on the beach a bit.

Even paying the fees in NYC/NJ don't get you this kind of attention to detail. If anyone wants her details just private message me. There's some realtors that don't even call you...but even by nyc/nj standards...this one went above and beyond.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast