Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By laurab

Thread: (seemingly) random street blockage

Default (seemingly) random street blockage

not sure if anyone will know this but i figure it's worth a try anyhow -

up here in my neighborhood, there are a few cross streets that have been permanently blocked off, for no apparent reason...

At both 88th and 94th (or maybe 95th?) and Byron, the street has been 'officially' blocked, by either poles, or a row of trees (pretty, but a pain in the butt).

so i can't just drive up my own street to get to Publix or CVS - all traffic has to zigzag for blocks out of the way, instead of a simple straight line to get to where they're going ON the same dang street!

annoying

anyone have any clue why this was done?
    Last edited by Catt; 09-16-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Default Re: (seemingly) random street blockage

They do this kind of thing very often if there is drug or gang activity in the neighborhood. I remember seeing this in Ft Lauderdale -- large cement blocks preventing you from turning onto certain streets.

hmmmm. north beach near Surfside? just doesn't seem like there's drugs or gangs around here, it's a quiet neighborhood; never see odd or weird-lookin people around ever, not even when i come home in the middle of the night from gigs. but i guess since i've only known this area for about a year i wouldn't really know for sure, i suppose it may have been at one time.
    Last edited by Catt; 09-16-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Its to slow traffic through that particular street. It often happens when residents complain about excessive traffic in a residential street.
    Catt likes this.

It wouldn't be a great suprise if a local politician or judge lives in the area and wants less street traffic in his hood.
    Happens all the time everywhere.

yah, maybe... it's only two streets i've noticed so far - but one of them is the access to Publix, and it's a major annoyance to not be able to get to the grocery store without a 4 block detour; especially right now when there's construction on collins that means 20 minutes to go 2 blocks.

i dunno, it seems kind of ridiculous that individuals living on one block can just have said 'one block' closed off to thru-traffic. that seems very illogical from a civic planning POV - i mean this street is ONE block off Harding, and two away from Collins - it should be obvious to people who live around here that there's gonna be a certain amount of traffic; it's not like we're in some quiet suburb away from main roads - it's not some private gated community, it's a regular city street close to the beach. ALL the people who LIVE on this street, should be able to USE the street, and not be forced out into beach-traffic just to get to the damn GROCERY store for god's sake, just cause 'one person' doesn't want cars to pass in front of their house. (selfish ahole alert)

so how can it be OK or even legal, that one or two personal preferences can change the whole traffic pattern in a neighborhood and block access to community necessities like grocery shopping? i don't know when this was originally done, but who knows if 'those' specific people are even still living here? there's mostly apt buildings around here, not too many private homes

so it makes very little sense to me that the entire population in the town must be inconvenienced to satisfy one or two individuals.
    Last edited by Catt; 09-17-2011 at 03:05 PM.