Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Moving in less than a month - Please help

Default Re: Moving in less than a month - Please help

Quote Originally Posted by chirican2 View Post
    Hey Maria! Thanks for your input! Ive heard a lot of my friends say that about Ft Lauderdale but Ive never been! Haha Ive only been to SoBe and Ive fallen in love every single time I go. Maybe I should check out Ft Lauderdale, though. How is it there compared to SoBe as far as nightlife and safety? Is it costly to live there? How about Broward?
    I know a handful of gay dudes 30 + who are friends of mine and only one of them lives in SoBe. That should tell you something.

If you are into cool bars and lounges either SoBe. If by nightlife you mean all-out clubs, I don't think it would matter as you could always hang at SoBe club once in a while even if you live in Fort Lauderdale. I only know of two gay clubs in SoBe, Score and Twist. It's not like you will be clubbing every night, right? I mean you are studying for the exam. South Beach can be BURN OUT city for a lot of newbies and the club scene is just awful, I think. Russian whores, blonde college aged brainless bimbos, guido guys, mafia people, ghetto types and NO GAYS! I wish there more gays in the local clubs. It would be more fun and I'm not even gay!

You might consider living in a quieter place and just party on the weekends on the island. Also, I'm concerned the only thing you'll find in South Beach at that price range is a dump.

Fort Lauderdale is a little more upscale and elegant than South Beach thought there are some college type bars on the beach.

We have a good thread about Fort Lauderdale vs Miami here: Pros and Cons About Living Around Downtown Fort Lauderdale & Beaches
    chirican2 likes this.

If by "safe," do you mean safe for gay people or safe in general?

You won't find a lot of violent homophobia down here. But some neighborhoods are safer than others.

I'm actually working on a piece about downtown Miami as we speak. I don't think the area is unsafe, but you do have a lot of homeless people walking around. You just have to watch your back.

Here are three neighborhood profiles I've written so far. I intend to have several more completed by the end of the year. Downtown Miami is next on the agenda.

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/brickell

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/coral-gables

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/coral-way-corridor

although not in specific response to the OP's questions, but just as general info -- the Wilton Manors neighborhood of Ft. Lauderdale is a vibrant and wonderful gay community. My besties live up there and i often join them for dinner & dancing or just general socializing in the clubs, even on weeknights there's always something fun going on. Relaxed congenial atmosphere, and some incredibly good food at some of the bars up there too; always a good time -
    Last edited by Catt; 09-26-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Lauderdale is a lot more gringo and laidback than Miami. But it also feels more like a suburban setting and just doesn't have that world class personality that Miami has. Lauderdale is a great place to settle after you've experienced the energy of Miami and want to kick things down a notch.

oh, good point doug

sorry chirican - i wasn't clear - i intended that post as info for going out/socializing ... i didn't mean to suggest that you live there.

I didn't much like it myself as a place to live, for the very reasons Doug cited - if i wanted to live in the suburbs i coulda stayed my behind in pennsylvania, lol.
    Last edited by Catt; 09-26-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiFlorida View Post
    If you move to Miami Beach, Juan Carlos Rodriguez wrote an article about gay nightclubs in Miami. Fort Lauderdale has gay nightclubs and stores as well.

http://www.miami.com/miami-gay-bar-guide
    I wonder how old that story is. Juan Carlos, who is a friend of mine, moved to NY about two years ago.

Banned

Last 2 gay nightclubs in the article are closed. If you plan nightclubs in Miami and Fort Lauderdale I will name a few.

MOVA
    1625 Michigan Ave, Miami Beach

El Bohemio
    2845 SW Coral Way, Miami

Boardwalk
    1721 North Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale

Little Havana is safe as far as violent crime, yeah. Insomuch as Downtown is too. Lock your shit, and you're fine. Little Havana is also just West of downtown, like on the other side of I-95. You can literally walk there in ten minutes if you want, it's not far.

Doug gives you a bad perception of Ft. Lauderdale. It actually has a very vibrant downtown and nightlife that's on par with most large cities in America. It also ahs a lot of culture and things to do all the time. It is hardly suburbia, actually, unless you get out West. It's not a frenetic as Miami, but equal in terms of options for recreation and entertainment. Maybe even better because it's less populated. There's a gay section of Lauderdale Beach you may want to check out.
    chirican2 likes this.

Thanks matt. How far is little havana from south beach? Is it a manageable drive to and back?

Banned

Little Havana has a lot culture and Cuban influence from 70's and 80's Cuban immigration in Miami. It is 15 minutes from Miami Beach. Driving on MacArthur causeway and Venetian causeway depends roughly on traffic in the morning and at night.
    Last edited by MiamiFlorida; 09-29-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Easy drive, yeah. MiamiFlorida is right, 15 minutes give or take.

New User

How is the move going? Im always up for advice on Miami and the Beaches. I was in your same situation and I've been here since 20o1. Cool place, but not for everyone in certain areas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12