Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hello New World

Default Re: Hello New World

Parts of Bill Baggs state Park Beach are pretty remote feeling. But not really like the ones you'll find in Naples. What that part of the state lacks in Cosmopolitan amenities it makes up for in its beaches.

I agree with Matt, Bill Baggs is probably your best bet. Also, the very north end of Crandon Park. Both on Key Biscayne.

Matheson Hammock is a nice place for a picnic and frolicking on the sand but there is no real beach per se, just an atoll style lagoon. It's gorgeous though and there are no hi-rises in sight.

North of Naples in the Sarasota area is Casey Key/Nokomis which is very laid back and has a beautiful beach park.

Up the Treasure Coast is the area Doug recommends. Miles and miles of beaches as well as the beautiful Indian River.

Also check out Long Key and Bahia Honda down in the Keys.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Friday morning came, the morning AT&T should drop by to put in a land line.

Friday morning went. Pissed off, I went to work at 12:01 and swore that AT&T would get their modem back, and I wanted my money back of course and if not then I would publicly auction it off in or in front of their shop on London Square etc. etc. etc.

At 3:30 PM, my cell phone rang. The AT&T guy was on my doorstep and had read the note I had put up to ring my cell phone. So I curse again but race home.

Guy competently finds the entry point of the phone line to my house, notices as expected that there is no landline connection, connects the wires, then competently covers all jacks in the house and provides measurements as proof that now the wiring in the house and all the way to the exchange is ok. However, he says there is no evidence at all of any DSL signal being present on any wire.

Then he adds: I am of course not supposed to even do this (I should create an order in the AT&T system for you, he said, to set up the DSL service), but hey, you've been waiting for four weeks. So I will drive up to the exchange and stick in the wire for you.

I proceed by myself to set up the modem, and indeed, after 10 minutes suddenly the thing comes alive and I have a working internet connection before the guy arrives back to tell me he has fixed it.

Hence, I now have a working internet connection from home! Hurray!

AT&T royally sucks, but the two people that eventually circumvented all established procedures managed to make me happy.

Today I was called by one of their procedures implemented by a phone slave. Of course I expressed my disturbance about the four weeks delay while I had stated the missing wire problem at initial purchase. And promptly he deducted 25 dollars off my next bill (which is actually more than a month's worth of internet access).

So I am prepared to forget about it all, if the service turns out to be reliable. I understood it typically remains stable once it works.

Dutchie

next step: drivers license, December 6!
    Last edited by Hoppie; 12-03-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Christy likes this.

Mission accomplished: I now also have that license to kill.

Totally effortless and eventless examinations. I passed with zero errors in the theoretical and two minor items in the practical (for not blinking during both the parking test on an otherwise empty parking lot the size of a football field and during the simulated three-point turn also on that football field).

Not impressed.

But I now have the last missing item needed.

Oh no, wait, I still need a US credit card, to contribute to the economy.

Dutchie

Looks like you're getting all your ducks in a row, Dutchie!

Now I can get the two other ducks in! January 29, is the current plan.

Anybody interested in a nice house in the Netherlands?

Dutchie

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post

Oh no, wait, I still need a US credit card, to contribute to the economy.

Dutchie
    Good luck with that one. Internet, driving license etc... I did that when I arrived. The credit card took a lot longer. My advice as another transplant from Europe is to open a secured one with a bank where you put down a deposit as a line of credit. This will build your credit with your SSN. Without that you won't get credit anywhere.

I recommend North Miami, or Little Havana and some cash and you should be fine with the car situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Parts of Bill Baggs state Park Beach are pretty remote feeling. But not really like the ones you'll find in Naples. What that part of the state lacks in Cosmopolitan amenities it makes up for in its beaches.
    Went to Bill Baggs today, was pleasantly surprised anyway.

You're right that the Naples beaches are more beach-like, but the time difference in travelling there (Bill Baggs still is an hour's drive from where I live) also counts.

I like the abundant BBQ facilities. Probably these are taken very quickly?

How's Boater's Grill? It looked completely cramped full on a Saturday in December around 1:00 PM. 108 seats -- that's basically the amount of people on the boats in No Name Harbor. Is this place worth the wait and the sardine feeling?

Dutchie

Any waterfront place like Boater's Grill is going to be packed on a beautiful weekend day. I've never eaten there but I've never heard anything bad. Best to go when it's less crowded, if you can sneak away on a weekday.

You should also check out Matheson Hammock in Coral Gables, that will be closer to you. There is a bathing lagoon. It is not like a beach (it's on the bay) but is tropical and gorgeous. Nice place for a picnic and stroll. There is also a fancy restaurant there.

Since you're out west and a little south, you might also enjoy the north keys. Morada Bay is not a bather's beach but a gorgeous, relaxing place for lunch. And there is one little beach off of a bridge, it has a name but I can't remember now, it has very clear water -- all within an hour of you or less.

This is also a good time of year to visit the Redlands and that's also closer to you. Here are some tips: http://www.redlandriot.com/

Thanks Maria -- that is enough to keep me busy tomorrow (Sunday)!

Dutchie

So did you have a chance to explore more last weekend, Dutchie?

Sure! Matheson Hammock was interesting. I read Doug's report but it must have been a different season, it was crisp and fresh.

I have no idea how crowded it can be, as there was absolutely nobody!

This weekend I've been getting the house ready for my family... Just one more month.

Dutchie

That's good! They must've read my report and cleaned it up! heh heh

Yesterday evening I was invited for Christmas somewhere in South Miami, and to kill the afternoon I went to Coconut Grove. Having no intelligence of the area I dumbly parked in the Cocowalk garage and started spiralling around on foot.

Cocowalk itself is okay-ish but none of the shops appeal to me, I'm not a shopper, I don't shop, I fetch from a warehouse using a pick list. :-)

From Cocowalk, about three streets radiate outbound that each offer at most 300 yards of shops, restaurants, and other touristic activities.

There's the Barnacle, which I definitely need to see, but it was closed.

And there's the bookstore, which has good coffee and is not nearly as crowded as the nearby Starbucks in Cocowalk.

So, what did I miss -- I think I just saw the tourist epicentre right?

Dutchie

How bout dinner at the Hare Krishna Temple? That's always trippy! There's the marina, and a few fun little restaurants near the CocoWalk area.

It might sound corny, but I always enjoy The Improv at least once a year in the Grove.

I was going to mention the Improv. Mayfair isn't a particularly active mall but the architecture is interesting and it does boast the comedy club. There are a few interesting art galleries on the side streets.

For a true Grove experience, don't miss the King Mango Strut parade this weekend.

Scotty's Landing is a nice waterfront place for a casual drink and meal. That's over by Pan American Drive by City Hall and the marina, which is a nice place for a stroll. Monty's on Bayshore Drive is also cool.

Cocowalk has one of those dining movie theaters where you can eat/drink while you watch a movie.

The Barnacle is great when they do their outdoor concert season.

Maria - The Improv would be an ideal meet-up and great evening.

Nothing like chomping on cualiflower with dip with friends and laughing your asses off.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast