Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hello New World

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Re: Hello New World

*bump*

This thread started nearly exactly two years ago, when I moved here for real.

Still here, Matt

Things settled quickly and by now I don't even notice the time going by as I am over my head into work, 6-7 days a week, pushing something big out. Wife and daughter are doing okay, daughter starts revolting against school, entering puberty, was to be expected. However she left the ESOL class and now merrily goes along with the top notch class. Wife has a near-fulltime job as a volunteer at daughter's school, enjoys it, makes her feel much better (H4 Widow).

Wait, was this Miami?

As predicted, you don't notice. Only those quiet mornings when I leave the house at 07:15 and am clear of traffic five minutes later because nobody drives South, I enjoy the usually clear skies and bright sunrise. The rest of the day you spend inside bunkers. The weekends used to be pools of joy exploring the environment, but this has dried out due to work. Hopefully this gets better after Christmas.

With being two years here, I got my first credit card offer in the mail! And my car insurance dropped $100 (which I spent straight in correcting the discount lies that somebody had put in there when I bought my car and adding uninsured motorist coverage). And I got the $450 Florida Plunder & Loot deposit back. And there still has been no hurricane. And I still need to find a dentist and a GP. And a local bank. And get checks.

Anyway. No chance to leave any time soon, with all bridges burned behind us. We'll just hang in

Hoppie
    Jess, rk and GandJ like this.

Congrats Hoppie on the 2 yrs!!

No hurricanes isn't a bad thing. Let's just say you aren't safe down in Kendall... Andrew ripped through there when it hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Congrats Hoppie on the 2 yrs!!

No hurricanes isn't a bad thing. Let's just say you aren't safe down in Kendall... Andrew ripped through there when it hit.
    As if I didn't know the Country Walk disaster . . .

Name:  640px-Andrew_was_here.gif
Views: 221
Size:  257.8 KB

These houses have been rebuilt and sit nicely about 150 yards from us.

Recently they even included us in the storm surge flooding area. Not that the ocean will easily get here, but a sustained rain storm such as Sandy definitely will overflow Black Creek and the associated basin.

Hoppie

rk

Thanks for the update. Glad you adjusted so well. Hope I am not jinxing anything, but there hasn't been a hurricane in Miami since 2005, and big ones like Andrew are extremely rare in any one spot. It's a Poisson distribution, so you can never be sure.

Hey, you hit the over-under! I guess with a family and a stable job, it's a little harder to be so transient. But, hey, glad you've made it. What do you have left you want to do?

In increasing order of difficulty:

1. Get new I-94s so that we don't become illegals in January.

2. Get my H1-B extended for another couple of years.

3. Win the DV lottery (just to piss some people off).

4. Organize some kind of pension.

5. Understand God's Own Party.

Hoppie

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345