Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hello New World

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Hello New World

My suitcase is packed, the paperwork finished, the boarding pass printed... tomorrow the 28th early evening I hope to pass through immigration unscathed and drag my feet to my new home for the next couple of years.

What's the weather like?

Dutchie
    Banting likes this.

Default Re: Hello New World

How thrilling! Sending you an early welcome!

It's still hot and muggy, but improving in the evenings as we enter fall.

Congrads, the weather is perfect right now. I am one of the few people that enjoy the humid/hot weather.

Got in. Once you have that sticker in your passport, immigration officials don't even look at anything else. Hertz set me up with a brand new VW Eos convertible for two weeks. zOMG that will need significant sobering up later on. Dutchie

Welcome to Miami-Dade!

It's starting to cool off. I was actually able to take a bike ride for a couple hours this afternoon and didn't feel like I was biking in a sauna.

Sure. In the early hours of daylight I walked outside and said to myself that this was actually pleasant. Completely different from what I remembered from July-August.

I sat through the queue for the SSN at the Perrine social security center yesterday afternoon. Took about one hour, and was quite entertaining. Luckily I can cope with sticking out like a sore thumb in public. The actual request process was straightforward and except for the officer misspelling my name (I had to scramble to have it fixed) it all looks ok.

Expected waiting time for the SSN to arrive in my mail box: three to four weeks, they say. Since everything else I need is based on the SSN, I hope it won't be so long.

Dutchie

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    Sure. In the early hours of daylight I walked outside and said to myself that this was actually pleasant. Completely different from what I remembered from July-August.

I sat through the queue for the SSN at the Perrine social security center yesterday afternoon. Took about one hour, and was quite entertaining. Luckily I can cope with sticking out like a sore thumb in public. The actual request process was straightforward and except for the officer misspelling my name (I had to scramble to have it fixed) it all looks ok.

Expected waiting time for the SSN to arrive in my mail box: three to four weeks, they say. Since everything else I need is based on the SSN, I hope it won't be so long.

Dutchie
    I can tell you it's even less for that normally. They say 3-4 weeks but I actually find the US government works faster than the swiss ones lol. Had to sort out a new passport for me said would be 4-6 weeks and came in 2....while living abroad. Good Luck with everything else!

Thanks for sharing your experiences Dutchie and Sorry. This will be so helpful to other readers!

Enjoy Miami, Dutchie! I hope everything continues to fall into place for you!

Weather in Miami all year, high of HOT cool of WARM with a 50% chance of rain. Welcome to Miami.

Today I decided to spiral around my new house and stop at all parking lots with shops scattered around that I could find.

The duplication is weird, but apparently each block needs a Publix and then there are competitors such as Saldano's. The size of these supermarkets is three times what I am used to, but they also have three times LESS the number of checkout lanes. More food for less customers?! That would explain something...

With an empty house to convert into a livable camp ground, I need some basic stuff such as an air mattress, sheet and pillow, cleaning stuff, kitchen utensils and cutlery. All of these could easily be located in that spiral. Most of it can even come from the many $1 stores.

The category killer (well, the total killer) seems to be Costco -- I visited that last, and saw everything again. How do other shops survive in the presence of these monsters?

A five mile range spiral kept me busy for the whole day, so I now return to my temporarily rented appartment to fry a steak, and draw up a list of what to get where. This Wednesday I move in for real. I had power today in the new house, so FPL likely just needs to be switched over to a new customer. Water also worked. And I need to organise some form of IP feed. TV I can do without, phone I don't need if IP is working. Gas isn't available where I live, and hot water isn't commonly distributed around over here, right?

Dutchie
    (and no, none of the neighbours had an old skool open WiFi)

Costco is a members only warehouse type store, and plenty of people aren't members. Also, there aren't Costcos in every area, so if you're not near one you're going to go to a competitor.

Past that, not everybody needs an entire palate of pretzels, ya know? Single people don't have a huge use for buying in bulk like that.

Well put Dylan.

Hi Dutchie, there is a lot of duplication. I have always wondered the same myself.

Target and KMart are good stores for buying basic household needs and supplies.

Hot water is common everywhere ... your apartment either has an individual water heater unit in the apt or a shared one with the building. But no place is ever without hot water. If you're not finding it then maybe it's broken.

I'm not sure what cable service provider is in your area, but I get my internet via the tv provider.

Welcome to Miami! How exciting! Oh... and get health insurance asap along with that SSN

The house has a water boiler -- I referred to the public hot water infrastructure that we know in some places in the Netherlands. Standard power plants deliver electricity and dump the remaining heat in a river. Updated power plants deliver the remaining heat to nearby cities.

One more week with a rental car. Let's see whether I can get a car dealer mad enough to sell me something without SSN, FL driver's license, and credit rating. Never mind insurance.

Dutchie

This is Miami, cash can get you pretty far here

Dutchie,

Not sure about how energy gets distributed here on that scale. I do know there are cooling ponds near Turkey Point where the nuclear power plant is. The pond is actually a sanctuary for crocodiles.

Crocodiles next to a nuclear power plant? This sounds like the backstory to a Saturday Morning Cartoon show.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast