Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rk
  • 1 Post By rk

Thread: Would like to find a job in Miami!!

New User

Default Would like to find a job in Miami!!

Hi to everyone!
    My name is Isabel and I am Spanish, 28 yo girl. I currently live in London, where I am studying a BSc degree in Business Management at Plymouth University - I am currently in my final semester so hopefully I will be graduated by the end of February 2012- Additionally, I am also graduated in Employment Relations by the University of Spain (UNEX). Therefore, while my native language is Spanish, I am also a fluent English speaker and additionally, I hold an intermediate knowledge of Portuguese language -although I do not know if speaking/understanding Portuguese would be useful for this-. After being living in London during almost four years I have decided it is time to change because despite London is a wonderful city, I can not stand the British weather anymore. I would like to know if it would be possible to apply for a working VISA - or Green Card -within my personal circumstances in order to work in USA - specifically in Miami or LA as the climate in both areas is amazingly good if compared with the British one, and I know it may sound a bit stupid just to look for a place on the basis of its climate but that's how it is for me!! )) -. Do I need to be sponsored by a company or something like that? Or would I be able to apply for the Green Card taking into account that I could hold a professional status?..Thanks in advance for your answers!!...xxx

Default Re: Would like to find a job in Miami!!

Hi Isabel! Welcome to the forums. I can certainly relate to wanting to live in a place for the climate. For that reason, I always find myself gravitating toward the southern US, and have lived in CA, New Orleans and FL.

Regarding your legal question, the best we can do here is to point you in the right direction, since we're not legal experts! For questions about working in the US, I would suggest contacting an attorney or someone at the US embassy in your home country. I believe that in order for a foreign national to work in the US, you have to be able to show that you are more qualified for a job than any US applicants, but again, this isn't something I'm an expert at. Good luck with your endeavors!

rk

Isabel, I will try to answer some of your questions:

First, please note that a "work visa" is not the same thing as a Green Card. In fact the Green Card is not a visa at all. A "Green Card" (it used to be green at one time) is an ID card issued to people who have been legally allowed to enter or stay in the USA as "immigrants". These people may stay and work in the USA indefinitely (with some limitations).

Since you are not currently in the USA, to enter and become an immigrant you would need an "immigrant visa", of which there are three types: Family based, Employment based, or Refugee/Special. You would only qualify for the second type (Employment based) and you should certainly look around employment sites to see if there is an employer who may sponsor you for an immigrant visa. However, I can tell you that this has a very low probability of success. The country is overrun with people with Business degrees, and employers don't like the hassle of sponsoring for visas unless you have a special skill or benefit. You can read about employment based immigrant visas here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1323.html

Still, all is not lost, because about 20 years ago our wise leaders in Washington (Ted Kennedy) invented something called the "Diversity Visa Lottery". This allows people from some countries to apply for a an immigrant visa each year, and 50,000 are selected and given an immigrant visa for no reason other than applying. Assuming you were born in Spain (UK born won't qualify) you may apply for this lottery, and entries for the 2013 lottery begin tomorrow (Oct 4), so apply soon. Chances of getting one vary by country and depend on how many others apply, but usually about 1% of applicants. You can apply each year and increase your chances. You can read about the Diversity Visa Lottery here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1322.html

In addition, many people enter the USA each year on temporary (non-immigrant) work related visas. These visas are easier to get than immigrant visas, so large employers tend to use them in bulk to hire large groups of foreign graduates each year. These visas are issued for limited term employment (usually a couple of years) and can only be renewed for a limited time, but these are often used as a backdoor entry point by immigrants, as after the limited term visa expires, the applicant is free to apply for an immigration status adjustment based on a number of criteria. People with immigrant intent are prohibited from applying for non-immigrant visas, but this seems to be widely ignored and rarely enforced. You can read more about it here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

Another visa you can consider is a student visa (F-1). This allows you enroll in a US college for graduate studies for a 1 or 2 year program (in your case, probably an MBA) after which you can apply for a job and visa status adjustment to one of the above categories, with the added benefit of being here already and having local contacts/knowledge. Even though it seems indirect, a student visa is often the easiest to get, and used by many, many people to convert to immigrant status later. You can read more here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

The final category, which I will not talk about because I neither condone nor advise it, is illegal immigrants, i.e. those who overstay tourist visas, or enter the country without a visa etc.

Please verify everything I said by reading the links, and in other ways. Rules keep changing and my information may not be current. Good luck.
    Doug likes this.

Great information, rk! We should make this a sticky and translate it into 5 foreign languages! We get this question all the time!

Interesting that Spain is included in the lottery. Any idea why the UK is not? Seems slightly unfair.

The Green Card lottery is supposed to promote cultural diversity - evidently, the US Government feel that people from Spain would add more culturally than those from Britain.

Huh. Then how come Australia get to play?!

Good question...... It really is frustrating for Brits (especially those like me who had to fork out a huge fortune to take part in the Investor's Green Card scheme). Both Irish and Northern Irish people are eligible, so I'd love to have more of an explanation about how the decision was reached and why English/Welsh/Scots people are treated so differently to their neighbors.

rk

Doug, thanks very much for your kind remarks. When I started replying above, I did have in mind that this is asked often, but also I kept trying to keep it brief, so many important details are left out. If it ever becomes a sticky I should edit it a bit and add some things.

ikon12 and Jess, the Diversity Visa Lottery excludes countries which sent an average of 10000+ legal immigrants per year for the most recent 5 years, which is why the UK is excluded, along with Canada, most of Central America, and the larger Asian countries.

Your point about Irish and Northern Irish (though the latter are part of UK) born people being eligible touches on the very heart of why the program came into being in 1990. Even today this program is sometimes referred to as "The Irish Program". For the first 3 years of the program, about 16000 immigrant visas per year were set aside specifically for people born in Ireland or Northern Ireland. To know its history is to know the very low depths at which Washington politics operate, and how absolutely power can corrupt. Anyway, that is off-topic, and you can read some details here: http://www.numbersusa.com/PDFs/TheDi...isaProgram.pdf
    ikon12 likes this.

That actually makes sense. English people can get here if they really want to. Whereas a girl I know who got here from Russia by winning would never have had a chance otherwise. Interesting fact rk, thanks.

New User

and this year when is that visa lottery?

You'd have to go to the website for exact info:

Online registration for the DV 2015 Program will begin on Tuesday, October 1, 2013 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), and conclude on Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4).
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1322.html