Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How safe is Euclid Avenue?

New User

Default How safe is Euclid Avenue?

Hello!

I am looking at an apartment on Euclid Ave between 9th and 10th street. Is that a safe area? I remember Washington Ave having alot of homeless and crackheads and I don't know how safe it would be to live on Euclid.

Default Re: How safe is Euclid Avenue?

Hi Sophia,

I moved your post to it's own thread so more people see it

Euclid Ave is very safe. And 9-10th street is a good area also. As soon as you get off Washington it becomes very residential so no homeless people are about.

Also, no rowdy folks in that area. The drug addled masses, stay on Washington, Collins and Ocean. Even tough, the more west you go, the more tranquility you'll find.

New User

How do I find the other post?

I have friends that live on Euclid i think it is a great are except for parking...

New User

Default Safety of Meridian Ave/10th area- safe enough to live on first floor?

Hey guys!
    I don't remember where or what meridian ave is, i have only been to sobe once ... i am moving there and renting an apt without seeing it.
    Is it safe for 2 females to live on the first floor on meridian ave and 10th? is it a safe area?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Safety of Meridian Ave/10th area- safe enough to live on first floor?

Meridian is, in my opinion, one of the best streets to live on in the Flamingo Park area of South Beach. 10th and Meridian runs up to the corner of the park. The downside to that location is that Meridian can be busy. And 11th is one of the primary roads crossing the beach with the fire substation only a block over on Jefferson and the police department on the other side of Meridian on Washington (3 blocks over). The closer you are to that intersection, the more traffic you're going to have, car-wise and pedestrian-wise.

I lived on the corner of 9th and Meridian on the second floor and I lived on the corner of 11th and Meridian on the first floor. The safety of the residents (or residence) can depend a lot on the security of the building. When I lived on the second floor, the vast majority of crimes happened to residents of the first floor. When I lived on the first floor, crimes would occur in the streets around me but never in my building, even though it was more exposed. I attribute that, in large part, to the security of the building's entrances.

Really, I'd never live on the first floor. Even where I live now, residents have been robbed. On the first floor.
    rk likes this.

New User

Default Re: Safety of Meridian Ave/10th area- safe enough to live on first floor?

The building is NOT gated however, to get in the lobby (indoor) you need a key....
    May I ask where on 11th and meridian did you live? I was looking at places around there...

New User

Good morning!

I found an apartment on Meridian and 10th/11th but it is on the first floor the building is not fenced or gated BUT its one of those buildings that have an indoor lobby and the door to that is locked... Is it safe for 2 females to live on the first floor in that area?
    Where I live usually parks mean lots of drugs and homeless people... i saw its half a block away from the flamingo park?

would you recommend 2nd floor euclid /9th (gated but outdoor entrance to bldg) or 1st floor meridian and 10th/11th not gated/entry thru a lobby?
    I am so confused

IS the building on Euclid on the 2nd floor only 2 floors? Sometimes it is better to be on the top floor so you don't hear the people walking above you. Those art deco buildings are old and not well sound proofed.

The park has no homeless or crackheads. It is a gorgeous park filled with families, tennis courts, a pool and basketball courts. You will like it, it's even safe to walk through at night, it is very well lit.

I wrote in your other thread Sophia, to say that also on the 1st floor, you will hear the people above you walking around if it is an art deco 2 story building. Those buildings are old and not well sound proofed so if you are a light sleeper, you may want to try and find something on the 2nd floor.

Sophia,

Where are you moving from? I would not rent sight unseen!!! Places look very clean and crisp in photos, but in person it's another story. One apt I saw looked great in the pics, and then in the kitchen I noticed mouse poop on the floor and in the cabinets. You really need to go in person. Another one that I thought looked great in photos was a studio, and when I saw it in person, the bed was right next to the refrigerator. I think being on the ground floor is the least of your worries. Personally, I wouldn't do the ground floor because of flooding possibilities, noise above, safety concerns, and the lack of sunlight.

Hi Sophia, I just replied to you in the other thread that I merged two threads here. Let's try to keep the discussion all in one place -- it's helpful to all readers.

As a general rule of thumb, if you are concerned about personal safety, never live on the first floor and always go for gated entry -- this is true of anywhere in Miami, not just South Beach. If parking concerns you (walking around at night a few blocks because you couldn't park in front of the building), I would avoid the central part of South Beach entirely and go for some of the peripheral areas in condos that have parking.

The high-rise condos on the edges of the island would be safer than the small art deco buildings in the center. I'm a single woman and if I were to live in South beach again, I know this would concern me, too. The area around the park is cool and Euclid/Meridian are far enough removed from Washington to be residential, but there are streets around there that are dark and I would not want to walk alone late at night.

Look at South of Fifth, West Avenue area or mid-beach. You might have to pay more for parking, but if peace of mind is a huge concern, well that's going to be the catch-22.

Also, please, please do not rent sight unseen. The best thing to do is to come here, reconnoiter the areas and get a good gut feeling about a place. There are so many scammers out there and as the others have pointed out, you just never know what you're going to get through the photos.
    rk likes this.

Just to give a difference of opinion... the girls are of course right but sometimes renting sight unseen is not an option.

I did just that for my first apartment as I moved from England. I rented it without seeing it, and it was on the 1st floor, in a non gated building. It was fine, and the building never had any safety problems. This was on Euclid Ave too. So if you really don't have a choice, don't panic too much, all things work out and anything wrong in the apartment is fixable!

Ah Jess, of course, it could be just fine. But as a jaded native Miamian and den mother, I would never recommend it. I was once mugged at gunpoint in one of Miami's best neighborhoods -- this changes your view forever.

By the way, I'm not sure what's happening with gated anything these days. My condo in South Miami just went through a fire department inspection because it is over 40 years old. All our personal gates could stay, but could not be locked from the inside, so they are just there for show. Many of the balcony gates were removed because they were not "door" gates, even on the second floor. This is apparently illegal now in Miami-Dade -- to have your windows, doors and sliding glass doors gated. The problem is residents must have points of egress and firefighters ingress. We still have our parking lot gates though, so I think this only has to do with gates that are immediately protecting windows, doors to individual units and not entryways to properties.

I am telling you this because if it weren't for the gated parking lot and the buzzer to get into the building door (it's glass and not gated), I would feel less safe here, even though this is a safe neighborhood.

I think if something is going to happen, it could happen on Meridian as easily as Euclid or Jefferson or Michigan. It's such a small area, you've got the same people walking around. Most of what you'll find crime-wise in South Beach is petty crime -- vehicle break-ins, stolen bikes, things like that. While more serious crime does happen, it's pretty rare.

New User

I am so glad me and my roomie found this site! we really don't have a choice but to rent unseen... I remember someone recommending a realtor on this site I just cannot find her name and email? anyone remembers who it was?

New User

A good thread to start would be guidelines for new comers on how to lease a place in SoBe I lost 3 places after having an offer signed by the owner because realtors and landlords tend to be a little shady! it's different where i used to live, you rent from an apt complex easy...

Sophia, EVERYONE in Miami is shady. Start with that mentality and it helps. Even if you have a lease, if the owner is a bad guy, it doesn't matter.
    Doug likes this.

Jess is right. Make sure you get everything in writing! And check out the people you talk to see if they actually own the property. This article might help:

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/vacation-rental-scams

It's for vacation rentals, but you can apply most of the same information to apartment rentals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast