Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Best Neighborhood to live

New User

Default Re: Best Neighborhood to live

Again thanks for the awesome info. We WERE planning on doing some hunting or more like neighborhood/apartment scouting for about a week, around March. This seems to be an unlikely way to find a place, but would narrow down an area we like, so we are looking at other options. We are definitely going to be there for a week before the official move in. Just so I can figure out all options available; would anyone know of a decent very-temporary place to hold up in, where it wouldn't cost much?? Let's say a month max?? It looks very likely that our move in date would have to be July 1st, but we would probably be down in Miami a few weeks before that. Would a cheap motel just be the best bet?......This is alot of stuff im throwing out there, maybe i can simplify it.....Would it be logical to think we can find an apt in a neighborhood we like, and be able to move in; in about a week??

Quote Originally Posted by J_Val View Post
    Would it be logical to think we can find an apt in a neighborhood we like, and be able to move in; in about a week??
    Yes and no ... I mean, I've done it. Are you coming with all your stuff in a U Haul? Or do you just need the key and deal with the furniture later?

If it's a condo association or a community rental, you might have to wait longer -- expect at least two weeks for an approval. But I've moved into condos practically overnight, because the association managers have been nice and the landlord has been eager to rent it out. If you come across as decent folk, they don't care. It's just a formality. Sometimes these condo managers are retired people so they have time. But this is true of smaller buildings, not the ones with hundreds of units.

Anyway, this has been my experience.

With an individual landlord you could almost do it immediately. Just make sure you have a contract in all cases.

There are a number of extended stay hotels in South Florida. Marriott has a nice one in Coconut Grove with kitchenettes.

New User

Marie you provide great insight. Thanks for all the tips. Let me know when you get the license, I'm sure you can help us out. We plan on coming with everything, but will be packing light anyway so it shouldn't make much of a difference. I think we will be making two separate trips. One in April and one in June, with June being the permanent move. If we can't lock anything up in April we are going to hope to get lucky in June. If not, the Marriott it is! LOL

**STILL DREAMING OF SUNNY BEACHES**

New User

hey everyone, we were thinking of narrowing down our search to Biscayne Corridor, North Beach, and Mid-Beach as we want to be as close to the beach as possible without being right on South Beach. I want to get your opinion on North and Mid-Beach because I I kind of have an idea about Biscayne. Whats the commute like to Doral? What are the neighborhoods like? Are they nice, scary, or am I going to be bored out of my mind?? How does the housing market look over there? Do they have houses for rent? If they do, does anyone have a price range? Thanks for helping on any of these questions

-Jon

Mid beach is pretty nice. You defiantly need a car there but you can get an apartment in a new/newer building with all the amenities right on the beach for way less than south beach. The beach is less crowded and more peaceful too. It seemed perfectly safe to me the times I've been there.
    J_Val likes this.

Mid Beach over North Beach for accessibility alone. Mid-Beach is actually probably the most convenient part if the oceanfront in the city as you can take the quickest route there (195) and don't have to deal with any South Beach traffic. But it's really close - if you have a car - to downtown and South Beach. So you'll never be bored because they are so close. Also very safe. Houses in this part of town are rare and usually expensive, though. North Beach is a better bet in terms of houses.

North Beach is nice but a serious pain to get to.
    J_Val likes this.

If money were no problem I would live in SoBe, or Brickell.

New User

hey dylan, u dont think SoBe is too touristy?? I kinda want to be able to rent a house and not live in a building...what do rents look like down there?

Hi J_Val, I used to live in mid-beach and I really liked it. You have the best of both worlds, being within rock throwing distance of South Beach without the inherent hassles. There are also a number of conveniences on Arthur Godfrey road, like banks, hardware store, shops and so on. This area is known as Little Tel Aviv because there are many orthodox Jewish residents. This is a huge plus because it's safe and quiet.

Mid-Beach is very family friendly and residential. I'm talking about the stretch between Alton Road and Collins, roughly from 23rd street to 63rd, full of homes and a small number of apartment buildings. It might be tough to find a house to rent there but it's worth a try. You can take the 112 to Doral. My sister used to drive from my building to the airport and back with minimal traffic for a 9 to 5 job. However, not sure about the leg to Doral once you get off the expressway.

I agree with what Matt said. The closer you live to the Julia Tuttle causeway, the better.

Another think you should consider is the royal pain it is to GET ON the beach if there are any traffic lock downs. The Julia Tuttle causeway is a little better because there are no traffic lights. Macarthur Causeway has been a nightmare lately. I would never live in South Beach for this reason alone. Remember, you have to get on and off a barrier island.

I never take 395 anymore unless it's late at night or early in the morning. Absolutely ridiculous. But, hey, when that tunnel gets built in 20NEVER it'll REALLY help. right?

New User

Thanks for the info guys/girls.....as usual VERY insightful and useful....FYI we've decided to take a small "spring break" vacation in March and head to Miami, we will be partying on South Beach and anywhere you recommend on top of checking out the neighborhoods! BD

Hey JVal,

A great way to see neighborhoods on your visit is to go on our City Tour. 411 Members get a discount. Let me know if you want to go. It's a great overview of the area.

New User

Hey Maria, are you still considering getting your realtor's license?

Hi J Val, I have not obtained my license yet, but it's something I'm definitely considering for this year. I am currently on hiatus as forum moderator and contributor, but do stay in touch via email if you need to contact me. Best.

New User

Hey guys,
    im starting to narrow down my neighborhood search now that its getting closer...i have a few questions related to rush hour traffic, how is the traffic if im traveling from North Miami beach to Doral? how about from coral way corridor to Doral? im probably going to have more of these kind f questions going forward so any insight would help thanks again in advance

-J_Val

Hi, could you tell us which times of day you would be going in which direction? It makes a big difference if you're traveling with or against the flow.

Coral Way is a much easier trip than NMB to Doral, just for freeway accessibility. Especially if you're going at usual hours it's going to be a much easier drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12