Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: South Beach Apartment Sublet Rental Scam?

New User

Default Re: South Beach Apartment Sublet Rental Scam?

Thanks Dani,
    Although the outcome of this story seems to be a happy one, it was not nice going through all the "drama".
    I for one will never use craigslist again, but unfortunately our dealings with some realtors gave us a bad taste in our mouths as they just did not seem very savory; did not return phone calls or emails and/ or gave us listings of places very different from what we had requested.
    For example one realtor was adamantly pushing studios on us when we specified two bedrooms; telling us we did not need that!!!

If I were you I would use any network you have in Miami and get referrals from family or friends. We know nobody even remotely close to Miami so we did not have that option.

Good luck with your move, and best wishes!

acksunny

acksunny, I'm SO GLAD it seems to be working out! I have heard terrible stories about realtors being non-chalant in helping renters or misleading them. This is why I am so tempted to get my realtor's license as I know I could help a lot of people who visit our forums.

Let us know if you have any more questions we already haven't answered here. Feel free to start new threads.

Dani, welcome and let us know how we can help. Let this be a lesson learned. We have to be careful with these Craigslist ads.

New User

Hi all!
    It's been awhile since I've been on the forum, but I think it's time for a last final update. I am currently back in Massachusetts after my 6 months of winter hibernation in Miami, and I already miss the warm weather!

However... I do not miss my apartment, nor my landlady!

For those of you who recall my initial postings and updates in January, it may not come as a huge surprise that the sublet experience ended on really bad terms. To make a long, miserable and scary story somewhat shorter:

Our landlady/subletter's constant attempts to micro manage and dictate our lives in the apartment my roommate and I sublet from her for 6 months, made our lives a fairly uncomfortable "dance on egg shells". (Keeping in mind she was not living in the apartment while we rented it from her. Part of the time she was travelling abroad, and other times she was staying with friends in the neighborhood).
    Her demands, suspicions and criticism, her at times almost daily requests to enter the apartment, her changing the terms of our rental agreement, the hassle we had to go through to get at least some of our deposit back (she called the police on me on the day of departure... a separate story but basically the officers sided with me!) and the awful, hateful, frantic phone calls, text messages and emails since our departure, has been quite like in the twilight zone...

We have come to terms with the realization that she can not possible be mentally stable or sound; she acts like a narcissistic, pathological liar... and also she appears to have attempted to scam us regarding the deposit. She has after our departure made accusations that we left the place filthy, that we not only broke the frame on her couch but also cut a hole in it; or made a burn mark (the story changes); that we broke several plates and did not clean the stove. That we are sneaky and deceptive and dishonest, horrible, terrible human beings. She contradicts herself, comes up with the most ridiculous lies, and does not seem able to keep her "stories" and "facts" straight or consistent. We have 70 + pages of emails from her, saved voice mails and text messages with her rantings and ravings to document her behavior. It is not pretty.

There was nothing left broken by us when we vacated the apartment, and the place was far cleaner than what it was when we arrived. We in fact fixed a broken lamp and the reclining mechanism on the couch... However we have no way of defending ourselves since we are not in Miami Beach any more, and no way to prove that her claims are false. We are not sure if this is her modus operandi... going back on her word to return the deposit on the day of departure, only to come up with a whole bunch of broken items that it is going to cost the equivalent to fix or replace.... She finally agreed to pay back most of the deposit but withheld $225 pending the final electric bill (which was never more than $48) after the police had been "at the scene", and we know we are not going to see that money.

After we left and kept receiving the emails, phone calls and text messages, I contacted the Miami Beach PD to ask advice and was told to just ignore her and not reply to any of her communications, and to file a harassment complaint if she did not stop... which she did finally a few days ago.

We are beyond horrified and disgusted, and would like to warn others from renting from this woman. She currently have several listings on Craigslist:

Apr 10 - $700 Room for Rent/short term 4/18 - (South beach) rooms & shares
    Apr 10 - $700 Room forRent/2-4 weeks - (South Beach) rooms & shares
    Apr 9 - $650 Room Sublet/3-6 months - (South Beach) rooms & shares
    Apr 9 - $650 Room sublet 3-6 months - (South beach) rooms & shares
    Apr 9 - $1300 / 2ft² - Apt Sublet/3-6 months - (South Beach)sublets & temporary

If anyone chooses to sublet from this person, please insist on a written contract (which we did not get) in which every single term is outlined.
    For example if she is subletting the entire apartment, make sure it is very clear how often she is supposed to be able to enter the apartment; request that she packs away personal belongings/ effects and that cabinet and closet space is made available if so desired.
    We could never figure out what she actually expected when subletting the apartment, but it was very clear to us that her idea of what it entailed was far different from what we have been used to in prior similar situations.
    She appears to be a very kind, considerate and friendly person who likes to be "casual" about subletting and thus does not want a written contract... But when she is given boundaries and asked to adher to some basic rules, she reacts very poorly.

This sublet experience has been riddled with problems and headaches from beginning to end, with a few peaceful weeks here and there... and we hope that nobody else is going to have to experience the same.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about this please feel free to private message me.

Wow, what an experience to go through. I am sorry it ended up this way. What was her name and the address of the sublet so we can warn other members?

New User

Hi Jess,
    Thanks for the sympathy!
    I do not wish to be accused of slandering or defamation on top of everything else, so I will not post this woman's name on the forum. However the text in all her ads is almost identical, and is easy to spot for that reason (see above). The apartment is located on 8th Street.
    Any particulars I'll be happy to discuss "privately".

Best,
    acksunny

UGH. so sorry to hear you could not get yourself extricated from that mess acksunny..... and glad you're done with it now!

here's hoping your next Miami experience is MUCH better -
    acksunny likes this.

Narcissistic, pathological liars on South Beach? What's the place coming to?! hahaha. Glad to know you got out ok and I hope you have a better experience next time! I had some landlords in DeLand that also claimed I left the place a mess when I moved out, just so they could get out of paying me $400 on a washer/dryer set I was going to sell them. They said the same thing about the oven -- which was horrible when we first moved in, and a bunch of other phony claims.
    acksunny likes this.

Evil landlords,..?? Yep, thats South Beach. So she sublets the apartment, and then she appears suddenly and lets herself in. Maybe in the past she rented to people on the lam, who submitted to her conditions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12