Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Question about traffic flow

I am going to be starting grad school classes in January at FIU South Campus. I have class three nights a week (Tu, Wed, Th.) from 5 PM to 7:30PM. What direction would traffic be going at that time? I guess I am wondering what areas I could look at that would be going against the flow of traffic at rush hour. The campus at FIU is nice but the surrounding area seems pretty blah. Id like to live somewhere a little closer to some nightlife. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Re: Question about traffic flow

If FIU South Campus is the one just North of Homestead AFB, you're in for a treat. Basically all traffic heads South at the time you need to travel there. US1 is hell, Turnpike also clogged. Starting at 5 means leaving downtown before 4, I'm afraid. But hey, I'm not the expert... Dutchie

New User

Oh, I guess I mean FIU Main Campus, the One right off of the Turnpike at Taimami Trail. I wasn't aware they had a Campus in Homestead. Sorry for the confusion

Hi wellsie! Everyone is heading home from work around 5 ... I'm afraid Dutchie is right. But if you time it right, you'd be ok. Just go earlier to school if you don't live around there.

Miami traffic is hit or miss. Let's say you live on the beach and go to FIU during non rush hour, if one little accident happens on the expressway, you're still screwed.

South Miami, downtown Coral Gables, Brickell and Coconut Grove are all good options with some nightlife that are not on the beach.

FIU has several campuses -- one in Homestead as well as North Miami.

Going to FIU Main, if you try and live anywhere with nightlife you are screwed. Most of the "action" is gonna be in Miami Beach, Brickell, Midtown, Coconut Grove and Coral Gables. All of which require extensive Westbound driving to get to FIU. And rush hour traffic all goes West in the afternoon. And that all starts around 3 p.m.

You only shot would be to go early all semester and maybe hit the gym or something to kill the time. Like leave your house at 1 or so. Then get a schedule next semester that does not involve you sitting in all that traffic.

Otherwise, live in that area or Kendall or something for a year and then figure it out after that.

New User

I have some friends who live up in Ft Lauderdale. How horrible would that commute be? I would think around 40 min without traffic. Would I still be hitting a good deal of traffic if i left at like 330 from somewhere in Broward?

Hi wellsie, any time late afternoon is pretty much hell on I-95. It's 40 minutes as the crow flies but if there's construction or an accident it will cause a jam. You can also take the Turnpike to 826 or use the Homestead extension.

Your best bet would be to get to campus early and use that time to study in the library